Allure January 2018 : Edie Campbell by Daniel Jackson

It's certainly conceptual, but maybe too ambitious for the Allure reader (no offense Tigerrouge! :wink:) Michelle Lee seems to think people will buy into this because of the makeup? I'm not so sure. The new mainstream magazine consumer is not very educated to appreciate something like this. Kim's cover worked because it was Kim.

Still, I applaud their enthusiasm and the fact that Edie Campbell now have an Allure cover behind her name. Somewhat of an oxymoron.

i love it! It's kinda early 00's but it's great and fresh. It's indeed risky for Allure but i applaud the risk.
I don't know if it will be successful but it's great!

I see a million better eye makeup photos on Instagram everyday. All they did was stick some rhinestones on her.

It's certainly conceptual, but maybe too ambitious for the Allure reader (no offense Tigerrouge! :wink:)

It's been a while since I could be counted as one of those!

I can't recall the last time I actually bought an issue, but to make sure I'm not baselessly dismissing the magazine, I try to have a flick through the free online version on zinio via my local library.

I like the editor's ability to make headlines with her cover choices, but beyond the effort to be inclusive, I usually find the visual content to be empty.

The close-up of Kim's face worked, because it was almost a statement about how she's become an impersonal 'thing' we're constantly being asked to look at, scrutinised down to the last detail of her ever-immaculate make-up.

I see a million better eye makeup photos on Instagram everyday. All they did was stick some rhinestones on her.

Yeah, and immediately reminded me of Edie's cover story for UK Vogue's March 2016 issue by Mario Testino.

I applaud Allure for taking a massive risk with an unconventional cover shot like this, for embracing an actual fashion model for their cover but I'm not a fan of the overall outcome. Everything just looks too try-hard, IMO.

There's a HUGE appetite out there for beauty content, and in terms of converting your readers into purchasers, the price of entry into this world can be low, ranging from drugstore make-up to impossibly-priced perfumes.

And even though there are a million beauty bloggers out there, there's certainly still a place for professionals to come together and produce high quality printed content - you just have to accept you now exist alongside the offerings on the internet, rather than being the only voice of authority available to your audience.

I'm fed up of magazines living in fear of the future, reduced to weakly copying what's happening online, acting like the poor cousin. Figure out what you CAN do well as a print publication.

20_-01-01_Allure.jpg

Eye Max
Ph: Daniel Jackson
Stylist: Zara Zachrisson
Makeup: Frankie B.
Hair: Ward
Manicure: Geraldine Holford
Model: Edie Campbell

Allure 1/18 Digital Edition

Looking Glasses
Ph: Sharif Hamza
Stylist: Hanna Kelifa
Makeup: Laura Dominique
Hair: Esther Langham
Manicure: Yukie Miyakawa
Models: Danielle Lashley, Dilone, Amilna Estevao

same as above

Last edited by a moderator:
The Monolid Chronicles
Ph: Peter Ash Lee
Stylist: Ye Young Kim
Makeup: Yumi Lee
Hair: Tomi Kono
Manicure: Yukie Miyakawa
Model: Hsu Chen

same as above

Arch Looks
Ph: Camila Falquez
Stylist: Coquito Cassibba
Hair: David Colvin
Makeup: Allie Smith
Manicure: Mei Kawajiri
Models: Lilian Charlotte, Shaheem Anderson, Jazzelle, Aleece Wilson, Scarlett Costelo, Laura Sims

same as above

The Shining
Ph: Quentin de Briey
Stylist: Tracey Nicholson
Hair: Shingo Shibata
Makeup: Emi Kaneko
Manicure: Geraldine Holford
Models: Florence Clapcott, Nova Orchid

same as above

Quirky content, with a 90s feel, I'm drawn in by it. They look like gorgeous girls from a slacker movie that came out at a time when we had a lot more hope about life. While other places are giving advice about glitter lipstick for Christmas parties, this sort of thing feels refreshing.

I really love the cover, to stand out on newsstands these days you've got to take chances and kudos to Michelle for going for it.

Flicking through this issue on zinio, the editor states that this is the first of FOUR issues that will each focus on a certain aspect - eyes, then skin, hair and lips. In partnership with advertisers, naturally.

I'm noticing the adverts in Allure are often the versions featuring non-caucasian models.

They have an article featuring 100 tips about eye make-up that's fairly unreadable because it's laid out almost like an untidy periodic table. And a section where the magazine apologises for all the times it's described crow's feet as a negative thing. I get the sentiment - but I'm reading a beauty article because I want the promise of self-improvement. If I really wanted to reconcile myself with reality, I wouldn't be reading magazines in the first place.

Edie Campbell's on the cover as an YSL Beauté spokesmodel, flogging Touche Éclat in her comments. Then a look at custom-made contact lenses. Followed by a piece about Touche Éclat.

And so much for the acceptance talk about the ageing process, as there's a series of pages where dermatologists aged 30-60 talk about the pharmaceutical help, products and plastic surgery tweaks that work for them.

106 pages and that's it.

I don't understand how you can glorify plastic surgery tweaks on the one hand, and abhor the idea that crow's feet is a bad thing on another. These two are at odds. Michelle's Allure is starting to sound more and more like the type of PC-driven SJW reasoning in magazine format. If that's helping her shift copies, then good. But judging by the page count I doubt it's happening.
Linda Wells' Allure brand fuctioned like a well-oiled machine for years because it reflected the beauty industry at the time. Michelle is trying to turn this magazine into something which it is not.

They have an article featuring 100 tips about eye make-up that's fairly unreadable because it's laid out almost like an untidy periodic table

I literally stopped reading this feature because it was so unreadable and annoying! I didn't care for periodic tables then and I still don't now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->