• calvin klein

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • donna karan

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rangerrick14

Reaction score
Fashion has reached an apex when it comes to it being recognized by the populace in the U.S. Now with reality shows following designers and models; fashion is reaching a point never achieved since the 1980's when the supermodel came into being as a milliondollar comodity. Now millions of eyes are pointing towards the catwalks of new york and L.A. What are your views on American fashion. Where it has been where it is now and where it will or might go in the next 5 years.
In your opinion what is America's fashion stance in this global market when it comes to trends, creativity, comercial appeal and artistic ability.:heart:

Ive never liked American designers that much, most of the time their designs are too practical and dont have enough flare to them like European designers. However their cothes' simplicity is always really nice. My favorite is Ralph Lauren probably, Donna Karan is not bad either. I think American designers are gonna experience turmoil in their sales while European designers are gonna take over.

Narcisco Rodriguez is my favourite US designer. Ralph Lauren does great classic basics. So does MJ, but with a little more flair.

I voted for DK here, because she's been a true pioneer and deserves some respect for that.

Globally, I feel that US designers aren't that widely recognized with a few exceptions: CK, DK, MJ, RL. Maybe I'm missing some obvious names here...

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the practicallity of American designers, I think that while fashion should be creative it shouldn't go overboard like Galliano. Wearabilty and woman friendly should always be a factor. A woman should own her clothes and it should add to her persona not make it.

RICK OWENS!!!!(not like hes based in LA but he is american ^_^) alexandre plohkov was.. until the last season where he kinda wrecked it for ME.. I like Patrik Ervell.. and some old Patrik Rzepski and Narciso rodriguez,

when it comes to the older and more established designers...im usually left clueless because it all seems boring.:innocent:. well some old DOnna Karan stuff looks good.. but honestly i think its more Brand and marketing focused.. practical is good but BORING isnt.. i like clothes that are somewhat practical but have been given a slight twist:flower:..to bring interest into the garment without screaming fashion!!! and i think that Patrik Ervell does that for men..and So does Alexandre Plohkov(R.I.P aw 04:heart: - ss-06). Rzepski and Narciso do that for the women.. (although Rzepski's fall 06 was terribly disappointing for me:(..)

I've been looking at past fashion designers that have died due to aids in the 80's and 90's and I came across Patrick Kelly the first black fashion designer to be voted into the chambre syndicale in Paris or what ever his pieces were crazy. He generated this big buzz in fashion during his short career. He came on the seen in like 85 and died in 90. His pieces were art with a sense humor. Too bad he died at 35. A lost talent indeed.

Geoffrey Beene was an incredible designer. His designs rivaled anything coming from the runways of Paris. An amazing talent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchconnor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->