Anatomy of a Magazine Cover

So helpful!

Any idea where I can find more discussion like this one? As a photographer it is much more relevant to my interests than whose going to be on the cover two months from now.

benjikan: The casting is so important in re-enforcing the theme of the story. For me stranger is better

You prefer 'strange-looking' models?

So who would be your 'dream-team' for something like this?

It can be done for far less. A magazine like Vogue Hommes International, just to cite one of the titles much-discussed here, typically had $150,000 for the whole of the fashion editorial content and still managed to produce five or six strong fashion stories, plus the cover. That when it was visually and editorially strong for a while under Richard Buckley, from 2001 to 2003. I once got a top photographer (No names, no packdrill!) to shoot a cover for Vogue Australia and the cost came out to two rolls of film, a bit of lab time and the Fedex charges. He did it because I asked nicely. I'm not saying it's easy to do this, just that it brings a wry smile to my face when I compare these breathless 'behind-the-scenes' reportages to the realities of producing competitive fashion mags on shrinking budgets. $100,000? Ha ha! I guess that's why we tended to avoid putting celebs on the cover of VHI. Apart from anything else, we could never have afforded all those cash backhanders in brown paper envelopes, a hidden expense the WWD reporter has not mentioned. Some of the top models and their agents get brown envelopes full of cash too. And then there are the fashion stylists on the take... But I'd better shut up now!

PK

I understand that this a very old response, but wish that you would tell more :ninja:

p.s. Just let me know where to leave your 'brown paper enveope' ;-)

Was interesting to read, thanks for posting it.

thanks! helps me to understand all this magazine business so much better :smile:

I understand that this a very old response, but wish that you would tell more :ninja:

p.s. Just let me know where to leave your 'brown paper enveope' ;-)

Put it this way: if you can imagine it, then it probably happened... In other words, truth really is stranger than fiction in this business.

:D

PK

This is a great read thankyou so much for posting it. It would be fab to read more like this.

Nice informative read. Thanks for posting it. In the magazine I work at we don't send the cover to the vendors, also for Bollywood stars their chauffers, personal assistants etc are all paid.

This is such an interesting article, it really shows how the magazine process goes. It is an eye opener for me, but makes me want to work for magazines even more now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->