Angelica Cheung Leaves Vogue China as EIC

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MDNA, Nov 19, 2020.

1. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    ifeng.com

2. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

I really like Team Angelica/Nicoletta Santoro, they made some amazing issues together. Wish her the best!:flower:

GivenchyAddict likes this.
  3. chanelh

chanelh Well-Known Member

can't find this letter on ifeng.com, would u mind share the original link? who wrote the letter?

4. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

Don't know who wrote it, and here's the link.

5. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

WWD

Benn98 likes this.
  6. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Why does it feel like she was let go?...

Anyway, the first post found time to praise Anna. Lol

SophiaVB likes this.
  7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Yikes, definitely a loss for Vogue China. They'd have to play it really safe with her replacement. Angelica managed high reader count, high advertising volume, and political diplomacy with a steady hand while still championing local talent and opening new platforms. I mean, Vogue China is basically the most important Vogue in Asia, and the 3rd most profitable in the world. It can't have been easy to maintain that for years, and it made sense that creativity often got sidelined.

This is the one disadvantage for businesses who employ power women like Angelica, Anna and Edwina. They've had this concentration of power and micromanage so many angles that by the time they leave everything is in shambles.

I wonder if she'll move to the UK.

8. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

Wow indeed it will be a big loss for Vogue China, Angelica was brilliant, smart and a great business woman. I can't imagine Condé Nast people very happy about her departure lol. I agree with Benn.

On another note or the same actually: I feel that when Franca died, now Angelica moving on, the replacement of Carine by Emmanuelle at Vogue Paris and all the other changes that we have seen and experienced for those of us who love, live, breathe through fashion magazines ahaha :lol: that we truly lived through the golden age of Top Fashion editors and great photographers and photography. Nowadays it's normcore, basic editorials and covers with weird photos, photos made by and for the ''influencer'' group, very few great photographers. It's a sad legacy for Fashion as an industry that these last 10 years have given us. I would say that in the last 30 years, these last 10 have truly been a let down:
    - look at the runways, it's not as diverse or focused on making real clothes
    - look at magazines: very few buy them and many (ok because of Covid) closed
    - look at editors like Angelica who are an institution and who just move on to do something else.

Benn98 likes this.
  9. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Always sad to see an editor exit a magazine after a lengthy tenure, and it does indeed feel like a huge loss for Vogue China.

I must admit that I only have the one issue (with Gisele on the cover photographed by Mario Testino) and I was never a true diehard follower of the magazine, but there has admittedly been a whole plethora of memorable Chinese Vogue moments with Angelica Cheung at the helm.

10. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

11. violetcai0802

violetcai0802 New Member

Oh my this definitely makes me sad! Although I think VC gradually lost its charm over the years, it was one of the first introductions I had to fashion, as a 90s kid growing up in China. I remember I used to buy every issue when I was 13 or 14. Even when I spent my summer holiday in countryside, I would literally walk a long distance to town center just to get a copy of the magazine, in the only newsstand where I could find it. It was a thrill to flip through the pages again and again. They produced some really quality articles too. It’s hard to forget that kind of excitement that one experienced in such a young age.

I am not too optimistic about the magazine market in China at the moment. It is unfortunately dominated by boring local celebrities, which is understandable and common around the world. Magazine is essentially a commercial product, but as readers we do want it to be consisted of arts.

I don’t live in the country anymore, which makes the memories more melancholic, I guess.

YohjiAddict, 0st3nd and Srdjan like this.
  12. Starry

Starry Well-Known Member

I am surprised by this news but at the same time thinking it's understandable. As printing magazine industry is dying, it's wise for her to move on. I won't be surprised if she goes to internet industry to obtain an executive position (such as Tik Tok, Red or some other short-video or social platform) in the future. Or maybe she will start to build herself as a brand. Anyway, I wish her all the best. And thank you Angelica, for introducing Vogue to a lot of young Chinese readers (me as one of them) 15 years ago, and seeding an ultimate fashion fantasy within their hearts.

dodencebt likes this.
  13. SLFC

SLFC Well-Known Member

The printing magazine industry may be dying in general, but in Asia its actually thriving. So I dont think this is a case of her jumping ship in a dying industry.

In any case, I feel like this is a big loss. There has been some great issues under her watch, even if there isn't a great issue, it was still usually good enough, which nowadays is sometimes too much to ask for. Its going to be sad to see this possibly go away with a new editor.

#13 SLFC, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  14. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Whoa, it all reads like she was fired, and is saving face. But either way, she did a great job, very bad last few years, but overall i repsect her legacy, and many great issues she turned out. She really put VC on the global stage, and sometimes even made it better than the bigger editions!

Phuel likes this.
  15. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^ Odd if she was indeed terminated...

Going by the last few years of VC, it truly felt like she was already gone and had left her role. Deservedly, nostalgia will remember her role in the once creative— even daringly creative vision that, in all fairness would not be an exaggeration to say, launched a thousand ships in Asia in the publishing industry, and had the Western fashion industry clued in that China/Asia is a power player to be catered to. Was it Angela who said that all the Western brands/creatives initially looked down and refused to work with VC…? Amazing how prejudice/racism/discrimination quickly turned into adoration once VC became so lucrative LOL Greed and money: Stomping out prejudice/racism/discrimination LOOOL

Benn98, Miss Dalloway and Mody like this.
  16. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

I'm surprised and also very sad to hear this news. I have so much respect for Angelica and all the work she put into the magazine. She was so influential for the luxury scene in the Asian market. I'm really wishing her all the best for her future endeavours.

I'm interested to see who replaces her because they'll have big shoes to fill.

17. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Bravo to her for her tenure and for the tough task it was to run a magazine like Vogue China. I think that VC, is next after US Vogue for the most challenging Vogue to run.
    Her magazine was really a guide that made Chinese consumers more savvy but it also had a tremendous influence on the relations between the East and the western world.

I really wonder what she’ll do next. I can see her being a consultant for a big conglomerate in the Asian Market. She can be a head of a division covering the whole market with collaborators from different countries.

18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

She certainly played a large role in cementing a lot of the luxury brands in China, and she's probably the reason why we are still seeing Chinese models on the runway and in campaigns. Imagine if she never put down her foot when it came to casting. Vogue China would've ended up like Vogue Japan. For Japanese, but through a Western lens.

GivenchyAddict likes this.
  19. chanelh

chanelh Well-Known Member

rumors that she may launch her own brand or join LVMH group