Angelica Cheung Leaves Vogue China *Update February 2021* Margaret Zhang Becomes EIC

HAHAHAHAHA good luck sis.

“And that my kids is how Vogue China was ushered into the digital age.”

Last edited:
I am not particularly interested in this Vogue or Vogue in general, but this time I guess the bar is pretty low!

I want to be positive and hopeful about this but LOL…

I genuinely cannot with the current Condé Nast business strategies. Literally pathetic as hell. They are being ever more controlling over local Vogue editions and kept coming up with lame monthly themes - as a pathetic attempt to make the whole Vogue family to ‘go viral together’ I suppose LOL.

Anyway I’m sure that they think they are being revolutionary and innovative af for bringing in a young social media talent, yet this precisely shows that what a stark bore they have become. It’s all because of the fact that they have turned fashion magazines into essay questions (and not even interesting ones).

What the actual F.....:o

Is this some sort of April Fool[s joke come early? A random fashion blogger/influencer is now editor of the 3rd biggest Vogue edition? Yes, that's what she is! CN conveniently left that part out in their statement. I bet Chiara Ferragni feel she's got a shot at editing VI.
Can't believe they let Anna Wintour get away with this. It's a setback on so many levels, cheapening not only the Vogue brand but the Vogue China brand. Imagine spending so much time in Asia looking for an editor and ultimately settling on Margaret Zhang? Imagine legitimate photographers, stylists and editors having to answer to Margaret Zhang?

I've said it before, this is not a 'fashion' role, is Anna trying to hire a Carine? I'm assuming she got hired because of her social media reach, but what about her business skills? Vogue China doesn't just miraculously print 250pgave issue in January filled only with cream of the crop luxury advertising. There is a force behind it who made sure the right brands are shown in the magazine. Someone who set standards and always made sure the magazine got only the best in everything. What does Margaret Zhang know about that?

I really doubt whether the Mainlanders will accept her in fact I predict a backlash on social media. They're not very big on other Chinese in the diaspora because most of the times there's an ideological difference. It is my understanding that Margaret was born, raised and lived in Australia, and now alternates her time in the US? How would she know what appeals to the Chinese, and even more importantly, the fiercely nationalistic Mainland Chinese?

This is a mess!

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but I don’t think she has any social media presence in China
So this appointment is much more geared to ‘international’ readers then Chinese themselves
No disrespect to her but how could she even understand the Chinese culture and modern perspective that Chinese readers have? Has she ever lived in China?
In the end of the day it is much like a butter chicken case than actual respect and gratitude towards their Chinese readership

On the contrary, I think she will be fine given the state of fashion in Mainland China. From what I have perceived, Angelica's Vogue is considered too old-fashioned to reach the younger generation if we take into account that all brands are chasing the yuan and eventually targeting the young customers who want someone/something "cool" aka Farneti/VI!

Anna just put her new young puppet on the biggest luxury market outside USA, clearly she is gaining power in every way since her big promotion last year.
It'a bold move for Anna with a very attempting possible result for her

I will hold my judgement until I see the first issue. She maybe lacking experience in print media but I only care about the creative team behind her, she can be great. Margaret your first move, let Daniela Paudice go please because she have been bring down anything she touched recently.

Her age totally irrelevant to me, I'm more worrying her taste, and just hope her magazine is not just Instagram aesthetic on paper. Who knows, she can be another Leslie Sun.

Absolutely terrible. This is beyond a joke and an insult to Angelica’s legacy.

Margaret and her whitewashed perspective of Chinese culture can gtfo.

I did actually like her. Yes, she's known as a fashion blogger but she's branched out into creative content production as well. So there were interesting stuff I had seen from her before.

I am quite curious to see her take on the Vogue brand and Vogue China. I think the Chinese luxury market is a very different one and I want to see her vision for that.

She’s young, creative, knows the Chinese market and clearly a thing or two about business, otherwise she wouldn’t be where she’s at today. So good for her, can’t wait to see her first issue! What would you guys prefer, a 50 yo « journalist » like Farneti?!

^^^ I’ve yet to witness a blogger/SM/influencer breakout possessed of genuine creative vision that will go down in fashion history alongside the Greats. But who knows— maybe she’s the new Franca/Carine/Liz…? Hope springs eternal. With every new appointment at Vogues, I’m grateful that Emmanuelle and her team is still around.

What the actual F.....:o

Is this some sort of April Fool[s joke come early? A random fashion blogger/influencer is now editor of the 3rd biggest Vogue edition? Yes, that's what she is! CN conveniently left that part out in their statement. I bet Chiara Ferragni feel she's got a shot at editing VI.
Can't believe they let Anna Wintour get away with this. It's a setback on so many levels, cheapening not only the Vogue brand but the Vogue China brand. Imagine spending so much time in Asia looking for an editor and ultimately settling on Margaret Zhang? Imagine legitimate photographers, stylists and editors having to answer to Margaret Zhang?

I've said it before, this is not a 'fashion' role, is Anna trying to hire a Carine? I'm assuming she got hired because of her social media reach, but what about her business skills? Vogue China doesn't just miraculously print 250pgave issue in January filled only with cream of the crop luxury advertising. There is a force behind it who made sure the right brands are shown in the magazine. Someone who set standards and always made sure the magazine got only the best in everything. What does Margaret Zhang know about that?

I really doubt whether the Mainlanders will accept her in fact I predict a backlash on social media. They're not very big on other Chinese in the diaspora because most of the times there's an ideological difference. It is my understanding that Margaret was born, raised and lived in Australia, and now alternates her time in the US? How would she know what appeals to the Chinese, and even more importantly, the fiercely nationalistic Mainland Chinese?

This is a mess!

Anna’s Vogue is already plagued with that generic brand of commoner’s blandness that resembles the local city-funded free paper; and except for the single random story shot eery now and then by I&V or Craig McDean, Edward’s Vogue is more or less possessed of that mid-range department store budget aesthetic; and let’s not even remind ourselves with what’s happened to Franca’s Vogue... Can’t say I’m let down by this appointment at Vogue China: We’re only going to be scraping at the bottom of the barrel in a desperate bid to appeal to the masses at this point. With all the once great brands now either headed by lessers or greats dumbing down to be lesser, is it any wonder that Vogue is at where it is. To the masses, this era in fashion is great: “Diverse and inclusive” etc etc. Truth is, the masses don’t know sh*t nor care sh*t for creative high fashion vision. They love their Marvel Universe blandness, and that’s what Vogue is becoming.

Anna after a few months:

“Do you know why I hired you?
I always hire the same editor…
stylish, slender, of course…
worships the magazine.
But so often, they turn out to be…
I don't know… disappointing and, um…
stupid.
So you, with that impressive following on Instagram…and the big speech about your so-called digital power and content creation strategy
I, um… I thought you would be different.
I said to myself, go ahead.
Take a chance.
Hire the silly blogger.
[Clears Throat] I had hope.
My God. I live on it.
Anyway, you ended up disappointing me more than, um…more than any of the other silly editors.”

LOL

^GOLD!!!!

'I had hope. I live on it' is eerily ironic when you consider that 'hope' was likely handpicked by Anna for last year's global Vogue theme.

To think that I laughed at the rumour of Margaret taking over a few weeks ago because it was simply too preposterous to even reason with. Now I wonder whether the entire 'leak' wasn't orchestrated by Margaret and Bryanboy, lol.

^feels pretty much like it... She was a contestant but with this leak, she became the final choice I am sure... Honestly, given the past years with Conde Nast, I prefer to put them aside and be focused on either independent magazines or newspaper supplements.

Most fashion people just laugh about how the level is so low at CN. No one rushes anymore to work with them. At least not the talented ones.

To the masses, this era in fashion is great: “Diverse and inclusive” etc etc. Truth is, the masses don’t know sh*t nor care sh*t for creative high fashion vision. They love their Marvel Universe blandness, and that’s what Vogue is becoming.
THIS THIS THISSSSSSS :hardhead: this is absolutely what I see nowadays on social media, what we ALL witness with the arrival of instagirls replacing legitimate supermodels and so on!!! My gosh it all comes down to this: magazines want to be PC and all nice and have everybody happy because they're tackling every issue in society or the world at large but ultimately they are no longer HIGH FASHION magazines who WEEEEEEE fashion lovers want to read. Nowadays magazines are very bad because indeed they want to please masses and at the end of the day these Vogue editors and their Vogue end up looking like clowns. I don't think hiring an influencer as Benn said it very rightly, to the 3rd most important Vogue in the world financially is going to be any good move whatsoever for the future of VOGUE globally as a brand.

I'm actually excited about this. I've been following her for years now. Margaret has her law and business degree and has already produced two digital covers for Vogue Me China back in 2016. She's also a cofounder of a consultancy company that works with companies like Airbnb, Youtube, and Mulberry. And she's also a photographer and filmmaker who's been splitting her time between Sydney, NYC and Beijing for years for projects. I don't think they randomly pulled her name out of the influencer hat.

^^^ Never got the impression the criticism of her appointment is because of lacking experience nor the lack of education: Just that her experience and education doesn’t seem to be producing that brand of magical, high fashion worldbuilding of creative visionaries of the likes of Franca Sozzani/Diana Vreeland/Fabien Baron/Carine Roitfeld/Patrick McCarthy, or even Anna Wintour at her best in the latre-90s/2000s. Emanuel Farneti, Samira Nasr and Edward Ennninful have been luxuriating in this rarified high fashion stratosphere most of their lives, and yet look at their results: Gimmicky, bland, pandering and disposable. Admittedly, they possess the business sensibilities to win over the masses, but so do so many consumer brands. They’ve proven that all the experience in their long careers can’t summon genuine creative vision that the Greats so effortlessly produce. Everything about Margaret Zhang so far points to the pedestrian sensibility of Farneti's and Enninful’s Vogues.

But of course as always, I hope to be proven wrong (...but I won't be tho LOL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->