Ann Demeulemeester

lucky you psylocke! i quite like the idea of the thin paper used....i think it kind of represents that fragility that ann was about. question,how far back does it goes in terms of timeline? i'd love to see her graduation stuff. if not still would be satisfied with a deeper look at her work in the late 80's and early 90's because none of the books that included ann have had an extensive look at those collections.

Patti's intro is the only text in the book, and this is Ann's note at the end:

And Scott, the pictures date back to 1982, but it's just one or two pics per collection for the pre-1988 stuff. I took a pic of the index page so you get a better idea. First numbers are the pages, then the year.

my snaps

It's definitely very nice to have all her work in just one giant book. And yes, I agree, the thin paper somehow makes sense, it was just so unexpected when I opened it! I think everything about the book and its design is obviously very her. It's clear she didn't want it to be just some coffee table book kind of thing and I love that. I feel like this book is almost exclusively for her fans and you have to really adore her work to be excited about it, which I think is quite awesome :blush:

Thank you for sharing! Although I told myself, no more books, I think I need this one! :lol:

that's why it was a family affair....her son victor designed it and most of the images were by her husband patrick robyn. almost like a family album. i really have to have it because ann is the person that really introduced me to antwerp and the so-called "belgian fashion" scene. and now that ann has retired from her label,it makes all the more sense to have this in one's life.

From StyleZeitgeist
OP-ED: WHAT'S IN A NAME?
by Eugene Rabkin

When Ann Demeulemeester departed her label late last year, some of her devotees spoke about the end of an era. They wondered out loud whether they would purchase another garment with the tag that bears the designer’s name. This summer in Paris the label showed an undeniably strong men’s collection, but when Demeulemeester’s former menswear assistant, Sebastian Meunier, came out to take the final bow I could not shake off the lightning bolt of cognitive dissonance, even though I knew that Demeulemeester has been quietly preparing her departure for a while now and that her assistants were being given more creative control.

The question of succession has certain uniqueness when it comes to fashion because it is the only creative discipline where the name of the creator is also the name of the brand and the company. When an artist stops making art, a writer stops writing, a band stops making music, no one can take over under their name. Not so in fashion. And as contemporary fashion has gained its own history, we have seen a slew of designers exiting their own brands, sometimes under most unsavory circumstances. What is most surreal is that only in fashion there may come a point when the designer, the author of the garments, can no longer put her name on them. When you can cleave the designer from the brand, the question “What’s in a name?” takes on a whole new meaning.

At the beginning of this century the fashion world was fast becoming the fashion industry. The likes of Bernard Arnault of LVMH, Francois-Henri Pinault of Kering, Patrizio Bertelli of Prada, and Renso Rosso of Diesel busied themselves building fashion empires. After buying up storied but dusty houses like Gucci and Givenchy, these businessmen looked to the cutting edge designers such as Helmut Lang, Jil Sander, and Maison Martin Margiela. The difference was that these designers’ personalities and their design ethos gained them cult following and made them seemingly inseparable from their brands. Lured by lucrative deals and the promises of retaining creative control, these designers were only too happy to sell their companies.

Soon enough, however, all of them were ousted or left, often citing clashes over creative control as reasons for their departure. Jil Sander left twice, and Helmut Lang was ousted. Margiela lasted the longest and left quietly, as befitted a designer who prided himself on anonymity. Now came Demeulemeester’s turn, though she chose the retirement route.

The question here is not whether the corporations are evil and the designers are victims, but how these dealings affect fashion at large. Can you truly replace a creator? And what happens to the designer’s ethos and creativity of the label? Does the brand matter more than the designer? In a sense, do designers create something larger than themselves?

The case is pretty clear for the likes of Gucci and Dior, old houses that have been retooled for the modern times. When Tom Ford was ousted from Gucci in 2004, its parent company, Kering, sent a clear message – the brand matters more than the designer, no matter how famous he is. But these brands make most money through perfumes, accessories, and bags, hammered into consumers’ minds by ubiquitous advertising. Fashion they produce matters less. Brands that are more intertwined with their original designers often do not fare as well. This is particularly the case of Jil Sander and Helmut Lang, the queen and king of minimalism that were bought and then quickly flipped by Prada.

The Jil Sander label has been floundering since Raf Simons left, garnering neither critical acclaim nor doing well financially. Helmut Lang went from high fashion avant-garde to a contemporary brand, now owned by Uniqlo. Two major losses, as far as fashion with the capital “F” is concerned.

It seemed that Maison Martin Margiela has done better. Margiela stayed on as the creative director for some years, putting out critically acclaimed collections. The ethos of anonymity and the accent on teamwork seemed to be tailor made for a smooth succession. But then, in 2012, after Margiela left, came the collaboration with H&M, G-Shock, and Converse, three of the most pedestrian mass-market brands. Though commercially lucrative, these collaborations damaged the perception of the label that was traditionally associated with the fashion avant-garde.

What will happen at Ann Demeulemeester without the designer herself remains to be seen. Will the hardcore fans leave? Will there be enough customers left (and new ones gained) who care only for the look and the image? So far the brand has hewn closely to the designer ethos, which is the best we can hope for.

Fashion, if it is to remain fashion, needs original voices that provide creative diversity. This diversity is what keeps fashion exciting and healthy. Without it, fashion goes from a thrilling spectacle to a polished but dull Hollywood movie. This is what’s currently happening on the catwalks, and one can only hope that a new generation of designers will fill the creative void. A word of caution to them – think twice before you sell your company. After all, it bears your name.

(The original version of this article appeared in issue 4 of Them magazine in Japan.)

that's a great article and i agree and i've been saying it since helmut left,be careful about just selling your label....i know it's tempting for struggling designers,especially in today's market where everything has become so homogenised but sometimes cynicism is needed in this business otherwise you run that risk of losing control over your own name. it's sad. on the plus side,there those rare people out there like ann chapelle who seems to allow the designers to continue with creative freedom. and as for ann,i think that's why she chose people who had already been working with her for some time....i don't think she would have clumsily left her label in the hands of anybody. it was careful and thoughtful decision and so far they all have remained loyal to her design approach.

btw,i finally got her book. it's beautiful. the pages are very delicate in that fragile way ann worked. i did read some reviews in which people were disappointed there were no words or descriptions outside patti's stupendous forward and ann's final sentiment. personally i like that it's solely picture-based because it captures exactly what ann was about,that her work was emotionally based and stood on it's own merit. you just can't put into words those qualities. and her work has been dissected and analysed so much over the last few decades,i would fear it would just repeat a lot of what we already know of ann's work. and i love how each season flows seamlessly into the other with no chronology but the collections themselves....it really shows that continuity,relevance and most importantly the timelessness of her work. i will treasure this final chapter of ann's life as a designers as not did was it a great ride for me following her work but she introduced me to so much,so many other talents from antwerp and elsewhere and just that fashion can have different outlets,ideals and possibilities. for that i will be forever in her debt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->