Ann Demeulemeester

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by faust, Aug 20, 2004.

1. faust

faust New Member

Here is an interview with my eternal (fashion) love :heart: that beautifully captures essense and subtleties of her design philosophy. It's a long interview, so click "continue" on each page. Lots of images inside. Enjoy (I sure did)!

Ann Demeulemeester Interview

2. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

funny- i think that's the first interview of hers i've read...i like the way she thinks...

about androgyny...about men...about elegance...about movement...

thanks faust...great piece...

3. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

she is wonderful personality, very intellegant, very poetic :heart:

I have slot of respect for her

4. purechris

purechris no photos, no photos

thanx Faust :flower:

5. faust

faust New Member

Yes, it's back from 97. I've always said that she is the master of working with movement, and this article just confirmed that! I'm good <pats himself> :smartass:

6. marrimoda

marrimoda doing it

hmmm...good article. I appreciate her view more now, that I can define what about her resonates most with me...the nonchalance in elegant dressing.

7. Theory

Theory New Member

Interesting and informative!

It's funny because I was in Barneys today to get a complete look at the fall collections and my wife was interested in a few of Ann's pieces. Some of the buckles and straps and the way they crisscrossed made me think of Helmut Lang.

8. macchiom

macchiom New Member

Thanks, Faust!

She seems so intelligent and down to earth. This interview is definitely only making my admiration and respect for her grow.

9. softgrey

:lol: yes baby...you're excellent... :flower: :wink:

10. faust

faust New Member

Only she did it before Helmut :wink: :innocent:

Dude, I want that entire collection for my wife!

11. faust

faust New Member

Yea, I'd love to meet her. Hmmm, maybe when I go Patti Smith's concert next time, I'll ask to be introduced :lol: They are friends you know.

12. softgrey

i want it for myself...

but are you sure she did it first...i think helmut had been around longer actually...and i think he's done it since the beginning...

i think it's a fuzzy area actually... :unsure:

13. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

They are friends? how cool :heart:

14. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

Actually,her belts wrap around two or three times(depending on one's size) rather than just that slung look Helmut does. Except,I don't think she started doing those belts till the mid-90's. And she started her business in '85 which I believe is a year before Helmut did. Its irrelevent however because for a time,I think they had loads in common with each other-only she was about the volume and movement and he was more about a stiffer structure.

Btw,a friend of mine that was an assistant to Ann whilst at the Academy told me Ann is extremely timid in person.

15. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

She is very intelligent. I love her ideas on femininity, "gravity", introverted clothes, emotions and black. :heart:

16. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

Wonderful interview... so many people take fashion design for granted. "Oh, they're just clothes." Well, yes. Any monkey can design mass-produced clothes, whether that person be Mary Kate Olsen or Cassie Wallace.

But there are some real design geniuses out there, like Ann, who have an incredible aesthetic. You've just got to love that.

17. runner

runner .

faust, I just remembered your post about Anatomico aka muscle t-shirt, after reading this.
    I saw her holograph when she gave answers written in her own hand to the questions from magazine. she had really beautiful handwritting. she said there she has respect for Marcel Breuer and Le Corbusier.
    "soul" was how she summed up her aesthetic in a single word.

18. softgrey

not surprised to hear she may be timid...her clothes are like armour...i would think the person designing them would be an introvert...plus as i said...i think that's the first interview i've read...she's certainly no media wh*re...

but i wasn't referring to any sort of belt scott...i was referring to the bondage style straps they both have hanging off their clothes...

did she start in 85?...that doesn't seem possible...maybe 95?... :unsure: ... i don't have that book on belgian design that some of you have that might have all that kind of info... maybe that needs to be added to the collection... :flower:
    i do agree with your assesment that ann is softer and helmut is more structured...maybe the difference btw a male and female perspective?...

19. runner

runner .

from cfa

from the first collectin (maybe)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. softgrey

thanks runner...good little history lesson there...

so i became aware of her a couple of years after her first runway show...probably about the same time everyone else did...around 1994-5...

until you have a proper runway show...it's very hard to get noticed...and even then it's hard to get the right people to attend...

funny though...because that means she is older and more experienced than i had realized which actually makes a lot of sense...funny how the media refers to everyone as "young" designers...which really has very little to do with their actual ages... :flower: