Ann-sofie Back

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Ann-Sofie Back is a champion of the everyday and the banal in her clothing, often rendering the invisible visible and celebrating the details of the disposable.

That may not sound too promising a premise for desirable garb, yet with her skill as a designer Back transforms those ideas into collections which are paradoxically avant-garde, strangely elegant and always compelling.

"I am always inspired by normality and the mundane, the fantastic has never really interested me," states Back emphatically. "I find it really odd to be around all of the 'design' that surrounds you all day long... you can never seem to escape slick 'design concepts'."

In fact Ann-Sofie Back comes from the land of 'slick design concepts', she was born in Sweden, but draws her inspiration primarily from where she grew up in Stenhamra, a decidedly downbeat suburb of Stockholm. Now based in London, (where she completed her MA in womenswear at Saint Martin's in 1998), and having achieved her teenage dream of escape into the heady world of fashion, (showing a pret-a-porter collection each season since October 2001), her clothing collections and styling work are in many ways defined by a rejection of that aspirational fantasy land and looks at her own awkward place within it.

It is the social and cultural aspects of fashion that inspire Ann-Sofie Back as a designer. The way we aspire to a certain status, class or originality and how we dissemble and confuse to attain those things through our clothing. For Back fashion is seen as being slightly dishonest, a disguise, but it's a lie that will always get you found out in the end. As she says, "It's like going to the supermarket and noticing how somebody is dressed, thinking how that looks funny, or they've tried hard. But ultimately I say to myself 'that's me, that's me, that's exactly what I do.' It's about that trying and failing, you always look sort of rubbish."

Failed everyday glamour, accidental embarrassment and the transformative properties of clothing have been frequent motifs in Back's collections. There is also the signature incorporation of faux 'aspirational' fabrics and accessories that lie about their true identity by endeavouring to look glitzy and glamorous. Mock lame, fake gilt buttons, leatherette and velour are often mixed with more day-to-day grey marl and white cotton. The T-shirt shape is also a staple, although Back is often an experimenter with silhouette.

But look inside those clothes and the design details are quite lovely, in fact there's a certain hidden beauty and democratic spirit in all of this. As she says of her styling work, for which she has won many plaudits including the s/s 2001 Miu Miu campaign and continues to contribute to Dazed and Confused, Self Service, Purple and Doing Bird amongst others, "I try to put things on my level, make them fit what I understand. When I'm styling and I receive clothes from other designers, I'm actually quite scared of them in a way, because I don't understand what they're about. They look really precious and are so expensive that sometimes I simply don't know what to do with them. They have nothing to do with my life or my reality or anything, so I have to put them in an environment where I can make sense of them."
In many ways Ann-Sofie Back seems to have made her own 'fashion paranoia' into an art form, taking it out of the realms of the ironic into something at once everyday and quite touching. This is evidenced by her inclusion in group design and art shows spanning London's ICA and the Victoria and Albert Museum as well as Paris' Palais du Tokio and the Musee de la Mode de la Ville de Paris. Most recently her work was included in the 'Reshape' show, featuring on the official schedule of 2003's Venice Biennale.
In her expertly handled garments, Back at once celebrates the hidden beauty of the everyday, democratises the fashion game and injects some intelligent humour into womenswear. While not quite transforming clothes into precious 'lifestyle' objects, Ann-Sofie Back celebrates them for what they, and in turn we, are.

She's such a wonderful,refreshing personality :flower:

I love her work

personally i can adentify with her 'glamoure meets faliure/reaity' feeling :heart:

I think her feelings on fashion culture is a massive reflection of how alot of us feel. Its so wonderful to have such a person so completely honest in this industry...its quite rare.

It's like going to the supermarket and noticing how somebody is dressed, thinking how that looks funny, or they've tried hard. But ultimately I say to myself 'that's me, that's me, that's exactly what I do.' It's about that trying and failing, you always look sort of rubbish."

i don't get it...so we're supposed to buy her clothes so we can 'look rubbish' too?!?!...why would i want to do that?...and why would i need her to help me do it?... couldn't i just as easily look bad on my own with clothes from goodwill?...

sounds more like an art project than a fashion show... :wacko:
no thank you...i find that whole collection entirely unwearable... :unsure:

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 25 2004, 11:38 PM
i don't get it...so we're supposed to buy her clothes so we can 'look rubbish' too?!?!...why would i want to do that?...and why would i need her to help me do it?... couldn't i just as easily look bad on my own with clothes from goodwill?...

sounds more like an art project than a fashion show... :wacko:
no thank you...i find that whole collection entirely unwearable... :unsure:
[snapback]345623[/snapback]​

SG, When I saw your comment I had to see the collection and I agree with you. I hate when designers try act like clothing is not to flatter the wearer. What are you in this game for anyway then? Seems like she is not happy with herself and is projecting her akwardness onto her customers. I guess some people like her quirks cause she has a business up and running.
Amazing. :shock. This also makes me mad at her customers. So being un-slick is the new slick, and some idiots eat it up.

Oh,so you're calling me an idiot,Clay? And I suppose you fawn over the latest Gucci/Prada/Versace crap? Whatever!

I don't like her work "cause she has a business up and running" but because she has a refreshing perspective. And its NOT about being happy about herself but about not being happy with the way fashion is working these days. You have to do something in order change perceptions,okay? And btw,I have seen her work before up close and it isn't rubbish at all.

hello...calm down there mister...the quote about rubbish is from her...or did you miss that?...

she's calling herself and her 'look' rubbish...and all i'm saying is that i personally prefer not to 'look rubbish' (her words)...so i don't like the clothes...i can't speak for clay... :flower: :flower:

I don't think that her 'look' is rubish as much as it is abotu exploring faults and akwardness as oppesed to slickness and perfect, I think it's intune with the Wabi Sabi asthetic.

Aesthetically,Softie it is about mistakes. I don't think she's actually calling her look that. And how do you know you don't like it when you've never seen it in person?

why do i have to see it in person scott...

did you have to go to dior's couture show to know it was ridiculous???...

and why would you doubt what the designer herself is saying?...i believe that she means what she says and that i simply don't agree with what she calls beauty...it's about personal taste... :flower: ..mine seems to bew different than hers...

And what do you mean,Clay by flattering the wearer? Sexually flattering,you mean? Body concious?

Originally posted by Scott@Aug 26 2004, 10:44 AM
Oh,so you're calling me an idiot,Clay? And I suppose you fawn over the latest Gucci/Prada/Versace crap? Whatever!

I don't like her work "cause she has a business up and running" but because she has a refreshing perspective. And its NOT about being happy about herself but about not being happy with the way fashion is working these days. You have to do something in order change perceptions,okay? And btw,I have seen her work before up close and it isn't rubbish at all.
[snapback]346003[/snapback]​

Sorry not calling you an idiot at all. Ok she has a perspective i do not agree with. There are many styles and designers whos perspective i do not agree with and many find my own perspective in design boring, I do not though, neither do my customers. But i am not trying to make them look
unattractive , nor slick, i am shooting for elegant to some desgree. Some people do not like that i do. I think people in business should not go out of their to make people look peculiar. Thats my point.

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 26 2004, 11:29 AM
why do i have to see it in person scott...

did you have to go to dior's couture show to know it was ridiculous???...

and why would you doubt what the designer herself is saying?...i believe that she means what she says and that i simply don't agree with what she calls beauty...it's about personal taste... :flower: ..mine seems to bew different than hers...
[snapback]346059[/snapback]​

Because you're judging from the catwalk.....things do look differently when they're apart. That's all I'm saying.

And I know what she means from everything I've read from her in the past. Her comments are purely aesthetic not her actual look.

But anyway,to each his or her own. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by clay@Aug 26 2004, 11:31 AM
Sorry not calling you an idiot at all. Ok she has a perspective i do not agree with. There are many styles and designers whos perspective i do not agree with and many find my own perspective in design boring, I do not though, neither do my customers. But i am not trying to make them look
unattractive , nor slick, i am shooting for elegant to some desgree. Some people do not like that i do. I think people in business should not go out of their to make people look peculiar. Thats my point.
[snapback]346065[/snapback]​

Well,haven't you ever thought that there just might be people who relate to her eccentric tastes?

And before anybody starts,I don't think Ann-Sofie really sets out to be a commercial designer. Although,her stuff is sold at a number of indie shops around the globe.

Originally posted by Scott@Aug 26 2004, 11:31 AM
And what do you mean,Clay by flattering the wearer? Sexually flattering,you mean? Body concious?
[snapback]346063[/snapback]​

Flatter means flatter. To enhance not detract or distract away from your appearance.
Flatter can apply to men or women. Body conscious is not always flattering neither is so called sexy dressing if the wearer screws it up. But those are not the only way to look flattering.
You ever see a grandmother in one of her Chanel suits, still looking good? I have.
:innocent:

Off topic: it sucks seing two people whose opinions you respect fight :cry:

I understand her asthetic, but don't think it's communicated very well in the runway show, maybe it's "over" communicated. Some of these pieces would probably be really great with other things. It's kind of like she said in the article about receiving clothing from other designers for styling and having to make sense out of it. I do think that what she is saying about fashion in general is very in tune with the way a lot of people feel about the commercialization of the industry.
"The way we aspire to a certain status, class or originality and how we dissemble and confuse to attain those things through our clothing"
Celebrating "accidental embarassments" is always a good thing.
I guess on an intellectual level I can understand her, but visually I'm not too impressed.

Originally posted by faust@Aug 26 2004, 11:53 AM
Off topic: it sucks seing two people whose opinions you respect fight  :cry:
[snapback]346097[/snapback]​

the only person fighting seems to be scott because a couple of people don't like these clothes...

whatever...i still don't like them...but it doesn't mean i don't like scott...

as far as seeing them pulled apart...remember that i do this for a living...the first thing i try to do is imagine the pieces individually...and i really don't see anything there...it seems that she is really all about the styling anyway...hasn't she made a name for herself as a stylist?...
it's really just not my taste...i wear a lot of funky stuff...but it's usually innovative design...i don't see anything innovative here...

where could i see the stuff in person in the US scott?...

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->