Ann-sofie Back

Originally posted by purechris@Aug 26 2004, 12:07 PM

I guess on an intellectual level I can understand her, but visually I'm not too impressed.
[snapback]346106[/snapback]​

that's it in a nutshell chris... :flower:

that's why i say it's more of an art project....because the clothes aren't very strong and i think you could acheive the same thing with stuff from goodwill...it's just about how it's put together...
which is styling...not design...

While it's refreshing to find a designer that isn't obsessed with cliched ideas of glamour, sophistication, and femininity--not to mention outrageous but ultimately boring and irrelevant idols of excess like Dietrich, Luisa Casati, etc.--I find her rather pretentious. I feel like her clothes are overconceptualized for what they are. There's a disconnect between reading that article and then viewing the actual collection. Disappointing, in a word.

I like that she's down-to-earth with her designs and that she celebrates the everyday. I think too often fashion is removed from reality and therefore pointless and stupid. And as Mlle. Chanel once famously said "Fashion that does reach the streets is not fashion." I think Ms. Back has potential but unfortunately the clothes aren't on the same level as the ideals and concepts behind them.

Scandinavia, boring suburbs, CSM and London : another one off the 'avant garde' conveyor-belt then. I'm actually beginning to quite like the Japanese cutting-edge after seeing all these mass-produced 'arty' types that London churns out...

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Aug 26 2004, 12:42 PM
unfortunately the clothes aren't on the same level as the ideals and concepts behind them.
[snapback]346145[/snapback]​

agree... :flower:

Firstly, I am glad I opened this thread, its much more interesting than I thought it would be. Scott -- I'm glad you posted this article, because it's an interesting look into the mind of a designer...and afterall we all have in common this wish to create and a fascination with aesthetics, so I find that reading about someone elses vision is helpful in defining and articulating my own tastes. So I think thats the point here -- and you shouldnt be attached to whether anyone here likes Ann-Sofie Back's actual work or not. There are definetly some strong emotional responses...

Personally I liked most of the ideas the writer communicated about her...her honesty about the whole perception/reality...what works what fails...BUT after a while it all becomes blah blah blah...when you see the actual work. I dont know any women who will actually want to put on any of what I saw in her look book. Individual pieces -- yes, wearable. Overal concept -- no, not wearable and not well executed.

Its like something that began with an honest idea that became so overly emphasized and improperly edited in the process.

In the end it seems more like her personal exploration...a journal she cut out of fabric.
As art I think we can understand that...but when it tries to be fashion I think it just becomes an oxymoron.

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 26 2004, 12:13 PM
the only person fighting seems to be scott because a couple of people don't like these clothes...

whatever...i still don't like them...but it doesn't mean i don't like scott...

as far as seeing them pulled apart...remember that i do this for a living...the first thing i try to do is imagine the pieces individually...and i really don't see anything there...it seems that she is really all about the styling anyway...hasn't she made a name for herself as a stylist?...
it's really just not my taste...i wear a lot of funky stuff...but it's usually innovative design...i don't see anything innovative here...

where could i see the stuff in person in the US scott?...

:flower:
[snapback]346111[/snapback]​

I'm just highstrong today :lol:

I just think alot of people tend to criticize a talent when they aren't of a certain calibre of design. Like being innovative. I don't think of her stuff as innovative or any other cliched fashion term. And she doesn't set out to be any of that either. Her work is special and its unique. You see,I don't really for the "fashion" superiority anymore I just appreciate people who make interesting clothes--hopefully with a soul.

And I think her stuff was selling at Seven but I dunno if anymore. But she also sells at Pineal Eye and Kokon To Zai. Walter though is where I saw her stuff at.

I don't think Seven carried her last season, and according to their updated site (www.sevennewyork.com), she's not in their fall lineup.

It must've been a few years ago when they carried her.

Originally posted by Scott@Aug 26 2004, 03:20 PM
I'm just highstrong today :lol:

I just think alot of people tend to criticize a talent when they aren't of a certain calibre of design. Like being innovative. I don't think of her stuff as innovative or any other cliched fashion term. And she doesn't set out to be any of that either. Her work is special and its unique. You see,I don't really for the "fashion" superiority anymore I just appreciate people who make interesting clothes--hopefully with a soul.

And I think her stuff was selling at Seven but I dunno if anymore. But she also sells at Pineal Eye and Kokon To Zai. Walter though is where I saw her stuff at.
[snapback]346324[/snapback]​

how is the word 'innovative' a cliched fashion term...it means unique and new and forward thinking ...which is exciting to me...and can be applied to everything from car design to cooking...

sorry scott...i find it pretentious to have all these intellctual ideals without showing clothes with any real substance...(it's like a stylist pretending to be a designer...hmmm...where have i heard that before?!?!?)....

i'll take hussein chalayan over this stuff any day... :flower: :wink: :P
at least the clothes measure up to the intellectual content...

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 26 2004, 03:41 PM
i'll take hussein chalayan over this stuff any day... :flower: :wink: :P
at least the clothes measure up to the intellectual content...
[snapback]346354[/snapback]​

:heart: :heart: :heart: I'm sorry to take this off topic, but did you see Place/Non Place stuff at Century? I'm not easily impressed, but I almost teared. It really took my breath away.

MOM:smile:lol),I think they did have her stuff last year when she was still showing in Paris. The Seven boys never get to London and maybe that's the reason. Because she doesn't do showroom's in Paris like Boudicca does.

Soft,I say that because "innovative" has become yet another one of those terms that's used very frivolously. It means nothing like it used to. Like Avant-Garde.

well scott...i certainly hope you don't think me frivolous in the way i was using the term...i meant it quite earnestly...

and faust...as for your ot...i've no idea what you're talking about but if it moved you so...i'd love for you to elaborate... :flower:

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 26 2004, 05:09 PM
and faust...as for your ot...i've no idea what you're talking about but if it moved you so...i'd love for you to elaborate... :flower:
[snapback]346386[/snapback]​

"Place/Non-Place" was the title of Hussein's fall 2003 show.

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Aug 26 2004, 04:12 PM
"Place/Non-Place" was the title of Hussein's fall 2003 show.
[snapback]346387[/snapback]​

which year later is now at century21, and the pieces are incredible, imho

ah...well then i tried all of it on... :lol:

size 12 was too small...and i'm a 4/6... :huh: :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"