Ann-sofie Back

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Scott, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

She's such a wonderful,refreshing personality :flower:

2. faust

faust New Member

3. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

I love her work

personally i can adentify with her 'glamoure meets faliure/reaity' feeling :heart:

4. Scott

I think her feelings on fashion culture is a massive reflection of how alot of us feel. Its so wonderful to have such a person so completely honest in this industry...its quite rare.

5. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

i don't get it...so we're supposed to buy her clothes so we can 'look rubbish' too?!?!...why would i want to do that?...and why would i need her to help me do it?... couldn't i just as easily look bad on my own with clothes from goodwill?...

sounds more like an art project than a fashion show... :wacko:
    no thank you...i find that whole collection entirely unwearable... :unsure:

6. clay

clay New Member

SG, When I saw your comment I had to see the collection and I agree with you. I hate when designers try act like clothing is not to flatter the wearer. What are you in this game for anyway then? Seems like she is not happy with herself and is projecting her akwardness onto her customers. I guess some people like her quirks cause she has a business up and running.
    Amazing. :shock. This also makes me mad at her customers. So being un-slick is the new slick, and some idiots eat it up.

7. Scott

Oh,so you're calling me an idiot,Clay? And I suppose you fawn over the latest Gucci/Prada/Versace crap? Whatever!

I don't like her work "cause she has a business up and running" but because she has a refreshing perspective. And its NOT about being happy about herself but about not being happy with the way fashion is working these days. You have to do something in order change perceptions,okay? And btw,I have seen her work before up close and it isn't rubbish at all.

8. softgrey

hello...calm down there mister...the quote about rubbish is from her...or did you miss that?...

she's calling herself and her 'look' rubbish...and all i'm saying is that i personally prefer not to 'look rubbish' (her words)...so i don't like the clothes...i can't speak for clay... :flower: :flower:

9. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

I don't think that her 'look' is rubish as much as it is abotu exploring faults and akwardness as oppesed to slickness and perfect, I think it's intune with the Wabi Sabi asthetic.

10. Scott

Aesthetically,Softie it is about mistakes. I don't think she's actually calling her look that. And how do you know you don't like it when you've never seen it in person?

11. softgrey

why do i have to see it in person scott...

did you have to go to dior's couture show to know it was ridiculous???...

and why would you doubt what the designer herself is saying?...i believe that she means what she says and that i simply don't agree with what she calls beauty...it's about personal taste... :flower: ..mine seems to bew different than hers...

12. Scott

And what do you mean,Clay by flattering the wearer? Sexually flattering,you mean? Body concious?

13. clay

clay New Member

Sorry not calling you an idiot at all. Ok she has a perspective i do not agree with. There are many styles and designers whos perspective i do not agree with and many find my own perspective in design boring, I do not though, neither do my customers. But i am not trying to make them look
    unattractive , nor slick, i am shooting for elegant to some desgree. Some people do not like that i do. I think people in business should not go out of their to make people look peculiar. Thats my point.

14. Scott

Because you're judging from the catwalk.....things do look differently when they're apart. That's all I'm saying.

And I know what she means from everything I've read from her in the past. Her comments are purely aesthetic not her actual look.

But anyway,to each his or her own. :rolleyes:

15. Scott

Well,haven't you ever thought that there just might be people who relate to her eccentric tastes?

And before anybody starts,I don't think Ann-Sofie really sets out to be a commercial designer. Although,her stuff is sold at a number of indie shops around the globe.

16. clay

clay New Member

Flatter means flatter. To enhance not detract or distract away from your appearance.
    Flatter can apply to men or women. Body conscious is not always flattering neither is so called sexy dressing if the wearer screws it up. But those are not the only way to look flattering.
    You ever see a grandmother in one of her Chanel suits, still looking good? I have.
    :innocent:

17. faust

faust New Member

Off topic: it sucks seing two people whose opinions you respect fight :cry:

18. clay

clay New Member

Really Scott, I am sorry if I offended you.

19. purechris

purechris no photos, no photos

I understand her asthetic, but don't think it's communicated very well in the runway show, maybe it's "over" communicated. Some of these pieces would probably be really great with other things. It's kind of like she said in the article about receiving clothing from other designers for styling and having to make sense out of it. I do think that what she is saying about fashion in general is very in tune with the way a lot of people feel about the commercialization of the industry.
    "The way we aspire to a certain status, class or originality and how we dissemble and confuse to attain those things through our clothing"
    Celebrating "accidental embarassments" is always a good thing.
    I guess on an intellectual level I can understand her, but visually I'm not too impressed.

20. softgrey

the only person fighting seems to be scott because a couple of people don't like these clothes...

whatever...i still don't like them...but it doesn't mean i don't like scott...

as far as seeing them pulled apart...remember that i do this for a living...the first thing i try to do is imagine the pieces individually...and i really don't see anything there...it seems that she is really all about the styling anyway...hasn't she made a name for herself as a stylist?...
    it's really just not my taste...i wear a lot of funky stuff...but it's usually innovative design...i don't see anything innovative here...

where could i see the stuff in person in the US scott?...

:flower: