Anna Wintour Out of Vogue Soon?

I dont think a Russian editor could helm American Vogue- though I'm sure Aliona is a good editor and has an excellent eye, Russia and the US are very different.

Same with Roitfeld, you cannot put a French lady like her in charge of an American publication, the audience is completely different.

It worked to put a Brit at the head of Vogue because the US and Britain are culturally similar and Americans are intimidated by British accents.

If Anna is to get the boot, I would put my money on the editor of British Vogue, whatever her name is, or an editor at American Vogue such as Sarah Mower. Or... Katie Grand? Wouldn't that be fun!

^^I agree and i wouldnt want it as such, Carine has said she wouldnt be interested in the position because it comes with so many "limitations", and she's right, you cant shot exposed "t*ts" or a woman smoking on the cover of US Vogue, and thank god for that, it wouldnt work in US anyway.

I think Anna can be an exceptional eic, but she needs to incorporate more diversity in the magazine and let go of some "Politics", this is the woman who made waves when she took the reign at US Vogue, she produced amazing issues but it seemed along the way she became more and more buisness focused and the fashion started suffering as a result.

If reports are true, this year has been one of the worst ever for US Vogue when it comes to circulation, hopeuflly that will make her stop and realize that its due for some changes.

Of course Anna will be replaced one day but I think it's more likely her replacement will come from someone within the US Vogue team...maybe Sally Singer, Amy Astley from Teen Vogue...many options

I don't think Carine would even want to be EIC of US Vogue...

One-half of me believes that there are always background rumours about her position so this is nothing new - and the other half of me remembers that fashion is a very fickle business.

What I wonder is - if she were to 'leave' Vogue, what would she work on next?

Carine will NEVER be an american editor in chief of vogue, she said so herself - she likes the freedom of a relatively small magazine. Plus, her english isn't that great. But honestly, I don't think she'd want to. Alyona on the other hand, she's pretty impressive, but russian vogue is also a much lower-key affair. Plus, US vogue is so much about advertising, you need to have a real good grasp on what the readers want and how it effects the sales. There needs to be an american there, maybe a little fresher and more daring than Wintour.

For me, Kate Betts and her time at Bazaar proved that you can be a great employee but not automatically good at being editor-in-chief, when you get a chance to move up to the position. So in a way, I would welcome the idea of an 'outsider' rather than someone already within the magazine.

That said, Kate Betts wasn't at all bad, I don't think they gave her the time to truly grow into the role - but whoever takes over at US Vogue won't get the time either. They will have to hit the ground running, with heavy expectation on them.

Plus, US vogue is so much about advertising, you need to have a real good grasp on what the readers want and how it effects the sales. There needs to be an american there, maybe a little fresher and more daring than Wintour.

Alyona may be the perfect choice then, the NY Times said she was able to capture major advertising for her September edition.

It worked to put a Brit at the head of Vogue because the US and Britain are culturally similar and Americans are intimidated by British accents.

What?! :lol:

That said, the Russian market appears to be currently buoyant enough to support the launch of new high-end magazines (like Tatler) so geographic luck might have more to do with Russian Vogue's ad revenue success than anything else?

Last edited by a moderator:
That said, the Russian market appears to be currently buoyant enough to support the launch of new high-end magazines (like Tatler) so geographic luck might have more to do with Russian Vogue's ad revenue success than anything else?

That's cause the economy is still good. In America... not so much :ninja:

Until some defect out of self-interest, and others follow, out of fear of being left on the 'losing' side. A reversal of fortune for anyone working in the media, it can happen in the space of a few days, because reputation in the industry is all about perception. It can be shockingly fast, when these things happen.

Anna's list will protect her..

Everyone will just have to wait for Si to make up his mind & if he decides she's gone... then nobody can protect her. And it won't be a surprise if it's shockingly fast like tigerrouge says because Si doesn't like confrontation :ninja:

For me, Kate Betts and her time at Bazaar proved that you can be a great employee but not automatically good at being editor-in-chief, when you get a chance to move up to the position. So in a way, I would welcome the idea of an 'outsider' rather than someone already within the magazine.

That said, Kate Betts wasn't at all bad, I don't think they gave her the time to truly grow into the role - but whoever takes over at US Vogue won't get the time either. They will have to hit the ground running, with heavy expectation on them.

what's interesting about this is it's exactly the situation anna wintour was in when she took over vogue...
insiders call the mirabella time "the beige years" because they felt the mag was so boring (she even famously painted the red walls vreeland had a beige tone)...
wintour was brought in to shake up the magazine, and she did, starting with the first cover, pairing lacroix couture with jeans...she also did a radical redesign of the mag within the first year, shooting covers outdoors instead of in a studio, and bringing fashion back to the forefront...

while no one called bazaar until liz tilberis boring, i loved betts' redesign of the mag, it felt fresh and modern, but i can see how others didn't like it, as it was a drastic change from what was done before...
she definitely was not given enough time to develop into a good editor...
i can see the stories she's doing now for time fitting into bazaar...

essentially what wintour did when she came on board was increase circulation and ad pages, both of which were on the decline when she was hired, and us elle (which had only been around for 3 years) was encroaching on them, and si couldn't have that...
so whoever takes over for anna is going to have to keep the money coming in...

It would be interesting to see another editor reining American Vogue.

so whoever takes over for anna is going to have to keep the money coming in...
That is and will be the main thing, and the reason why US Vogue will never be edgy as VP or VI and it shouldnt even try but please make it less boring as it is at this current state.

And i have to say i am one of those people who hated Betts "new" Bazaar with passion:doh:, but i still agree that she wasnt given the right amount of time to show where she was going with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
she produced amazing issues but it seemed along the way she became more and more buisness focused and the fashion started suffering as a result.
exactly.

anna's methods at us vogue have changed the magazine so much that I fear the next Editor and Cheif won't be able to handle it. US Vogue is at the point beyond saving, and is way too far gone. The only way the magazine can have a good comeback is to have a total collapse, and then relaunch itself as something new and fresh. The only other option would be to keep the magazine in this sad cycle it's in now. But honestly who beside Anna can keep this up?

Wow, this is starting to sound like the big buildup in Devil Wears Prada....life imitating art?

^ You didn't think that was just some clever writing did you? :innocent:

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->