Antioxidants

Erin

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion
Reaction score
I'm surprised at all of the threads we have on restorative measures for our skin, but what about preventative? I've been on an antioxidant craze lately. Here, some info on our body's best defense against free radicals: Antioxidants.

So what are antioxidants?

From Organic Style Magazine:
"[Antioxidants are] Compounds occurring naturally in your body that protect you from free radicals, which are the real culprits behind much of the damage we usually attribute to aging (wrinkles, splotchy pigmentation, broken capillaries, and, of course, cancer). Experts advise that you get additional antioxidant protection from outside sources - internally, with fruits and vegetables, and topically, with skin-care products."

I haven't yet tried anything topical, but I try to eat berries on a regular basis. Dark chocolate boasts a lot of 'em, as does corn - surprisingly, it is the veggie with the most antioxidants. Who would have thought?

Is anybody else concerned with antioxidants? What do you do to ensure that you're getting enough? :flower:

I drink a lot of tea and eat a lot of fruits and veggie.I've always done so mind you and I've always got a good skin.I even never had acne but I don't think it's related.

I've read that the sun, pollution,cigarettes and alcohol , too much working out diminish the antioxidants.

i eat as many fresh fruits (currently into cherries) and raw vegetables as i can

I eat lots of vegetables but I don't like fruit so much so I take anti-oxidant supplements. I also take flax oil supplements which gives me Omega-3 (a natural anit-oxidant occuring in fish which I have a severe allergy to).

wow- corn?
Thank you Erin for doing the research for us... I had no clue..

Every morning I wake up and have my cup of green tea. I also try to eat berries and have at least 3 servings of fruit every day.
I also have heard much about flax seed but I cant seem to incorporate it into my diet...

Plastic'sWife said:
wow- corn?
I also have heard much about flax seed but I cant seem to incorporate it into my diet...

flax seed oil is where it's at. You only need 1 tea spoon before bed, it tastes horrid, but just downed with a mouthfull of water and you hardly notice. Very powerfull stuff!

^ really?
Is that something that can be purchased like at a health food store?

P-Wife,

you can get it at a Whole Foods Store.. Just ask for Cold Pressed Flax Seed oil. The more the lignan content, the greater the anti-oxidant benefits.

I have capsules of flax seed oil. I bought some on my way home from work tonight at the chemists.

Hunk_Kaush said:
P-Wife,

you can get it at a Whole Foods Store.. Just ask for Cold Pressed Flax Seed oil. The more the lignan content, the greater the anti-oxidant benefits.

awesome, thank you so much for the info! And welcome Hunk :flower:

Korres has also a great royal jelly and grape seed anti-oxidant skin defence caps used externally as a skin treatment :wink:

CelineChic said:
I read that corn on the cob is the best antioxidant.

Celine,

Capsule's mostly are pretty useless, you need a good company Flax seed oil that takes care in the maufacturing and that it is minimally processed / unprocessed natural.

Next time, go to a Whole Foods store and get Flax Seed Oil from a good company that takes care in the extraction process.

And welcome Hunk :flower:

Thanks P-Wife ... :winkiss:

Last edited by a moderator:
CelineChic said:
I read that corn on the cob is the best antioxidant.

Yup... amazing, huh? Who knew corn actually had some value. :D

Antioxidants?

Hello.
I have just bourght a tub called ultra antioxidants, its a powder and you just add water to it and it forms into a nice tropical drink.I presumed that antioxidants was good for the skin but there is no mention of this on the bk of the tub.The question am asking is antioxidants good for the skin and why really ?

Many thanks to any replies of question.
cazza:D

My dad doesn't go a day without cutting me up a bowl of fruit :smile: I'm a vegetarian, too, so they're one of the only things I can eat :P

I've read about a model drinking Noni juice. I used to drink that heaps, my mum got it. I'm starting to drink it again, too.

Noni juice , can i ask where you get it from,how much ,and what is it good for?
cheers

noni juice comes from health food stores, starting price is about $AUD25 for 750mls, its a general antioxidant tonic so it helps skin, hair and general well being. it tastes pretty rank on its own, but you can disguise it by mixing it with apple juice. you take 2 tablespoons daily for maintenance or 4 spoons twice daily for intensive treatment. hth!

will look out for that cheers.
Anything to help the skin i will try,my skin isnt full of spots but i do get spots under the skin on my forhead which i would like to get rid off.some times i think its to do with exercising and the sweat,but not sure.
So anything u think i should try for my problem would be very greatful thanks :D

Don't forget coffee!

A cup of brewed, medium-roast coffee has MORE antioxidant activity than green tea! :D

In fact, it has more antioxidant activity per serving than just about any other food, except dates.

Next to coffee and dates, other high-antioxidant-containing foods are cocoa, cranberries and red grapes.

If you don't like coffee, cocoa is a better antioxidant than green tea.

Comparison of the antioxidant activity of commonly consumed polyphenolic beverages (coffee, cocoa, and tea) prepared per cup serving. Richelle M, Tavazzi I, Offord E. J Agric Food Chem. 2001 Jul;49(7:(3438-42.
Nestle Research Center, Lausanne, Switzerland.

In this study, the in vitro low-density lipoprotein oxidation model was used to assess the relative antioxidant activity of the polyphenolic beverages tea, coffee, and cocoa on a cup-serving basis. The beverages were prepared as 0.7-2.5% soluble coffee and 1.5-3.5% cocoa; teas (green, black, or herbal) were prepared as one tea bag infused over 5 min in 220 mL of hot water. Under these standard cup serving conditions, the antioxidant activity as determined by the lag time was in the range of 292-948 min for coffee, 217-444 min for cocoa, 186-338 min for green tea, 67-277 min for black tea, and 6-78 min for herbal tea. Addition of milk did not alter the antioxidant activity. The influence of coffee bean source and degree of roasting was further investigated. Green coffee beans of Robusta coffee exhibited a 2-fold higher antioxidant activity than Arabica coffee, but after roasting this difference was no longer significant. In conclusion, these commonly consumed beverages have a significant antioxidant activity, the highest being soluble coffee on a cup-serving basis.

http://www.physorg.com/news6067.html
http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/134/3/562

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->