Antioxidants

My brother is a pharmanex distributor. He sells products that boosts your antioxident levels. His compant actually is the only in the world that has a biophotonic scanner, which measures your bodies antioxident levels. It's won many awards and is groundbreaking in it's field. I've definitly noticed a difference by taking the products. I have more energy and feel more revitalized.

http://www.pharmanex.com/corp/index.shtml for more info

(yikes, didn't mean to spam! It was showing that my posts didn't go through... If a mod could remove my redundant posts, I'd appreciate it! :blush:)

tinuvielberen said:
Don't forget coffee!

A cup of brewed, medium-roast coffee has MORE antioxidant activity than green tea! :D

I've read that once you start adding sugar and cream, though, the antioxidant levels drop. So basically - black coffee is the ticket, and that's hard for me to swallow. NEED my Equal if I'm doing coffee!

Origins sells something called the Guardian, it's this antioxidant green tea and citrus gel you put on your face after washing and before moisturizing. It smells pretty nice.

I'm antioxidant obsessed. Every day I drink:
1 oz of Acai juice
4 oz. of pom juice,
green tea extract
naked food juice - blue machine
1 TBS flaxseed oil

I'm also a vegetarian and eat loads of fruits and veggies. Hopefully I age well and all this pays off.

Whoo, good information people =)
i've been eating more fruits, drinking more water, and trying to drink a cup of green tea everyday. i chose the normal green tea instead of the decaffinated one.. im scared that the decaffinated one will lower some of the benefits of green tea. any solid info to back that up? cause if not, i'll switch to decaf. =) muchos gracias in advance.

I read something about antioxidants in a magazine I bought... I'll try and find it:wink:

this isn't the one I was thinking about (I don't think it is:huh: )

from Health magazine Jan/Feb 2005, about dried fruits..

Blueberries
Benefits: Highest antioxisant content among dried fruits, which helps
neutralize free radicals and may reduce cholesterol buildup.
How to use: Stir into oatmeal or muffin or scone batter, Sprinkle
over spinach salad, or fold into chicken, turkey, or carrot salad.

Plums (a.k.a. prunes)
Benefits: Antioxidants and other compounds in dried plums may slow
the progression of heart disease. One cup contains more iron than a
cup of cooked chicken. This fruit also helps keep you downright
regular.
How to use: Saute` with diced onions or shallots and Cognac,
and use as a stuffing for roast pork loin; add to a cinnamon spiced
Moroccan lamb tagine along with onions, tomatoes, and winter squash.

Tart Cherries
Benefits: Rich in antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties;
high in melatonin, a potent free-radical scavenger and sleep-cylce
regulator
How to use: Toss into your morning cereal, or create red slaw
by tossing together dried tart cherries, red cabbage, red onions,
and red peppers in a dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and
black pepper.

It's funny, because on my box of cocoa it says that it contains antioxidants... funny that they advertise that... I would think that many people don't know the importance of them, but maybe I'm wrong. :wink:

BronzedGoddess said:
1 oz of Acai juice
4 oz. of pom juice,
green tea extract
1 TBS flaxseed oil

I'm also a vegetarian and eat loads of fruits and veggies. Hopefully I age well and all this pays off.

Wow I admire you! I'm always amazed to see what people do to improve their health. I suppose it really only makes sense to be proactive in feeding your body the nutrients it needs because who else is gonna do it! I almost wish I was a vegetarian to force myself to eat my fruits and veggies. :P At least it's nice to know that dark chocolate has lots of antioxidants cuz it's my favorite junkfood!

The whole antioxidant thing is very interesting - l've become a lot more conscious of them lately after reading articles about sunscreen and how the chemicals used can generate free radicals that may actually be more damaging to the skin than the sun. And I've used sunscreen almost every day since I was 15!!

Of course, I can't give up suncsreen but I've been trying to use natural ones like zinc & wild pansy - both of which are supposed to be antioxidants as well. Also drink loads of jasmine tea when I'm at work.

I believe that Spirulina has the most antioxidants of anything edible in the world, I know for a fact that Spirulina is up there-- definitely a Superfood.

BronzedGoddess said:
1 oz of Acai juice
4 oz. of pom juice,
green tea extract
1 TBS flaxseed oil

Oh, it will. And your body will be happier for it. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Erin said:
It's funny, because on my box of cocoa it says that it contains antioxidants... funny that they advertise that... I would think that many people don't know the importance of them, but maybe I'm wrong. :wink:
I noticed that plus a "warning" to consume in moderation on a bar of dark chocolate (mine)... TBH, only the first truly surprised me. :lol:

only 100% cocoa has enough antioxidants to effect. Reg dark chocolate that does not have the % labels are pretty worthless.

I dont know if its available overseas, but in australia theres a great little vitamin called BioACE excell by Blackmores. Doctors have been reccomending it, and it contains vitamins A, C and E, as well as selenium.

^ I have read a bit about selenium... and how it's real good... In fact, I think I may have some of those pills/capsules in my fridge... :unsure:

I was reading an article on Miracle Foods, and many that topped the list were high in antioxidants... here are some of them...

Blueberries:
These amazing berries are on anyone's list of super foods. Recent research shows that they're brain food -- feeding blueberries to rats actually slows their age-related mental decline. Blueberries contain pterostilbene, a plant compound recently shown to have cholesterol-lowering properties. Their ORAC value (antioxidant rating) is the highest of any fruit.

Guava
Among the super foods of the world, guava is a sleeper. With a taste that's been described as "part strawberry and part pear," one low-calorie cup of this vitamin rich fruit contains a whopping 8 grams of fiber. And in one widely used test of antioxidant power, guava scored only second to blueberries, right behind kale. Guava also contains cancer-fighting lycopene.

Kale
Kale is a member of the brassica family -- vegetable royalty that boasts cabbage and broccoli among its relatives. It's rich in potent cancer-fighting substances called indoles, and loaded with bone-building vitamin K. Kale has the highest antioxidant rating of any vegetable and is ridiculously low in calories. Try it tossed with olive oil, a few dried cranberries and some pine nuts.

and for the many of you that have mentioned green tea...
A superstar beverage if there ever was one, green tea helps with weight loss and helps fight against cancer. It contains EGCG, a catechin (plant compound) which stimulates metabolism and has anti-cancer properties to boot. Green tea also contains theanine, a natural relaxant which helps explain why the caffeine in green tea doesn't make you nearly as jittery as coffee.

(The entire slideshow/article can be found here: http://health.aol.com/facts_findings/food_for_good_health)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->