Arts and Crafts: A new organic spirit in fashion

meme527

Reaction score
The article has interviews with Dries Van Noten and Consuelo Castiglioni, of Marni.

Arts and Crafts: A new organic spirit in fashion
By Suzy Menkes International Herald Tribune
TUESDAY, MAY 17, 2005

LONDON There is a new organic spirit in fashion - and its roots go back at least a century. A focus on the imperfectly natural and work touched by human hands is growing away from the high-tech modernism that once seemed to represent the future. Current social issues - about rampant consumerism and a loss of craft skills - also recall the ideals and concerns of an earlier era.

The 21st century seems a long stretch from the original Arts and Crafts movement, founded in the 1880s as the Industrial Revolution belched smoke through England's green and pleasant land. But an exhibition on that subject at London's Victoria & Albert Museum breathes the same air as current fashion.

"It's the right time - Arts and Crafts laid down a whole principle of living and
that has a resonance today," says Karen Livingstone, curator of the V&A show on which she worked for three years and now realizes "completely chimes with people's attitudes."

"People today are looking at the work/life balance, they are socially responsible and concerned about overconsumerism - and they want to escape the pressure of urban life," Livingstone says. She believes that those early intellectual ideas have grown, a century on, into "more fundamental issues about how to live in the world and how to treat the world."

"International Arts and Crafts," under way until July 24, does not present William Morris or John Ruskin as harbingers of holistic living, even if it shows the extraordinary influence the British movement had across the world from Frank Lloyd Wright's prairie housing in urban Chicago to Japan's Mingei (folk craft) movement in the 1930s.

The show does not even focus on textiles, which might have been given more play. Finland's wooden furniture and rus-in-urbis room sets are more in evidence than clothes, although the museum shop has been turned into a rural idyll where William Morris-patterned rubber boots are on sale.
It would be pretentious to suggest that fashion for 2005 is setting out to relive a 19th-century movement that had, in Livingstone's words, "a strong social underpinning inspiring everyday life."

As Dries Van Noten, the Belgian designer with a personal passion for gardening and a sense of nature in his clothes, says: "As an addicted gardener, I am also aware that I am only a fashion designer. I try to be conscious in that way - without trying to preach."

Yet Van Noten's clothes, with their hand-blocked prints and textured fabrics, are a fine example of the current organic spirit.

Central to the floral patterns that have sprouted this season is the idea of imperfection - or even a touch of the withering and decay that were present in the fin-de-siècle jewelry of René Lalique.

"Too beautiful scares me and too pretty becomes a little boring," says Van Noten, who showed black flower corsages, as if singed, in his latest collection.

The Belgian designer admits that he is inspired directly by his garden, even if he might choose to focus on a dahlia and then deliberately make it oversize. He also works on organic prints, as the Arts and Crafts founders did.

"I am fascinated by tradition and by skills and way of printing and all those things," Van Noten says. "But the Arts and Crafts wanted to go back to old ways - they were against modern times. I like also modern techniques."

Livingstone says that it is not true that the original movement had a Luddite desire to reject the Industrial Revolution. Its founders were sophisticated, urban and modern, even if the textiles, panels and furniture in the exhibition often look like handmade medieval-gothic images.

"One of the myths about Arts and Crafts is that it was just about things made by hand," the curator says. "It was also about improving industrial design, and they were happy to work with industry as long as it was done properly."

At Marni, a powerful Italian brand that still seems rooted in the organic, there is a similar spirit. The designer Consuelo Castiglioni, known for her textured fabrics, veined-leaf patterns, feathery accessories and a color palette of green, brown, russet and slate blue, says that up to 25 percent of each Marni collection is unique, using "motifs which have an identity."

"I like rough woven wools, cottons, linens and silks that are sometimes actually handmade," she says, describing nature as "such an immense basin into which I can plunge for ideas."

"Flowers, leaves, rocks, seeds, bird feather or fish patterns - there is such a variety of shapes, colors and combinations," Castiglioni says. "The imagination is then free to operate by simplifying or replicating patterns, changing, enhancing or neutralizing colors."

Giving nature an edge is the current mood, as thoughtful designers turn to raw fabrics and flowers that are not herbaceous border-perfect nor meadow-sweet.

"I was looking for something earthy, organic and vegetal," says Christopher Bailey of Burberry, who even picked a William Morris print of dense flowers and leaves for his latest collection. Inspired by his native Yorkshire and the beauty of the countryside, especially in its autumnal decadence, Bailey describes the effect as "less pretty and a bit more earthy with the leaves and the flowers - but still very feminine."

Bailey suggests that his vision is about more than replicating nature as part of Burberry's connection with the Great Outdoors.

"I wanted the whole mood of the collection to feel down to earth, a little bit rustic with a hand-crafted feel," he said of the corduroy caps and country style. "But it is also a little bit about going away from slightly sterile fashion that feels clinical. It is more reflective."

Bailey says that he also relates to the William Morris patterns as a reprise of London in the 1960s. That was when the prints were last taken up as part of a counterculture rejection of space-age futurism.

"It goes in cycles," says Livingstone. "People associate Arts and Crafts with the hippie movement because that had moral roots."

Van Noten also thinks that designers, obliged to turn out collections faster than a flower grows, can learn from the Arts and Crafts spirit.

"I like the way I live - I respect nature," he says. "But as a designer I always try to control everything. Once I am in the garden, I sense that someone else is taking over. It keeps my feet on the ground."

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you meme for this article. this is truly on target with the current climate of the world, not just design, but in terms of how people define balance.
more fundamental issues about how to live in the world and how to treat the world."

this is the key quote, because just as retro is pulled up through cycles of nostalgia and times when people seek 'meaning' in life...these also reflects a simple core need. but it isn't a passing fad, but it how things should be naturally. it makes perfect sense, also, that this era would be compared to the 1970's, a time when ecological concerns for first voiced, and the idea of truth and harmony being in nature. it is the perfect annodote to a rigid "clinical" climate, as was the minimalism of the 90's. i think the 90's was very diverging from this fundamentals, because it tried to assimilate people into one dimension, and it could never work. that is way there is boho is big, because it's all about finding unrelated things and creating harmony, instead of seperation.
also my friend recently attended the international contemporary furniture fair--pics on the industrial design thread-- and he said the current climate of design is still strong on dutch design, which is very craft oriented. also, as the article said, showing the process and the evolution is huge..ceramics becoming popular again. and yes, this does tie in w/ dries van noten, and his approach to design. i really liked his last quote where he said he respects nature...and how it is much more stressful to try to control and close yourself off than relax and realize things are interdependent.

travolta said:
... this is truly on target with the current climate of the world, not just design, but in terms of how people define balance...

yes, that is what i was thinking too.

my observation of the fashio world is that direct engagement with politics is avoided. fur and sweatshops are the two regular intersections of the political and the world of consumerism and self-adornment. but nonetheless designers are people and people interact with the world on many levels, and people ARE thinking about global warming, they ARE thinking about the state of the world.

perhaps this comes out in nature inspired prints, and florals, and a desire to mix prints and diversify, and wood accessories, etc.

i'd love to look at this further and see how the theory bears out!

meme

what a great article meme, thanks for bringing this in..

seems to be more about arts and crafts than about nature...
although related....

thanks meme...interesting..

this is an absolutely fantastic topic! :D :heart:

I am a huge fan of the arts and crafts movement and have studied it in depth at uni. I'm renaming this topic though, because as softie said, arts and crafts wasn't so much about the forms inspired by nature itself (that would be more art nouveau, though admittedly they do run together and the lines blur sometimes) but more natural materials and the handmade aspect.

"One of the myths about Arts and Crafts is that it was just about things made by hand," the curator says. "It was also about improving industrial design, and they were happy to work with industry as long as it was done properly."

this is not a myth...not all of them were happy to work with the industry... :innocent: arts and crafts is very much about a handmade aspect, with the focus on the craftsman...the idea of things having a more raw, less finished or contrived effect. I think this definitely translates into clothing and definitely responds to what a lot of people are interested in right now...natural fibres and dyes, printing fabrics by hand, unfinished edges, and visible stitching (evoking the visible craftwork in vernacular-inspired arts and crafts furniture, for example), allowing the natural beauty of the fabric and handmade aspects to show through, also the interest in traditional clothing and period clothing styles, etc...these all evoke what the arts and crafts was about.

"I am fascinated by tradition and by skills and way of printing and all those things," Van Noten says. "But the Arts and Crafts wanted to go back to old ways - they were against modern times. I like also modern techniques."

I really liked reading dries van noten's views on this...I like that he is engaging in traditional craft methods but not going backwards...integrating the modern with the traditional. I love his work... ^_^

sorry if this post makes no sense at all, my brain's feeling a bit scattered at the moment!

onthe contrary...
i thought it was an excellent post and i agree with you!..
thanks for the title change...
:flower:

i agree utopia, great post! this is very much of what is going on in terms of furniture today..i think w/ the integration of technology (CAD) designers are able to great extremely intricate patterns in the spirit of arts and crafts..flowers, plants etc..without having to create it painstakingly by hand -- this is a huge improvement.

i think this embrace of 'folk' style/ art is also related to the current music scene. i think right now fashion conglomerates/ corporations can create a stagnant look, and so as homogenization grows, an underground movement will run parallel...whew, life balances out! :flower: folk art/ crafts is a purist reaction to this, and this is why ysl's collection w/ it's embrodiery and references, and uncomfortable, unexpected shapes is such an appropriate collection for fw 2005.

i agree with travolta, this is a new 'allover' atmosphere for the handmade, the 'lost craft' the nostalgia for the industrial revolution/turn of the century era of which i've tried to talk/explain about in another topic here at trendspotting few weeks ago..
its almost a mix of the vintage & folk trends, but it also embraces a need for a lifestyle lost in the past... time, lost values, leasure has also a deep root in this trend, the value of time, time to water the garden/flowers, time to embroid a detail, the charm of applique or the precious handwork of a real brodery anglaise ..

we want more 'reality' and 'nature' in our life, we crave for time , lost values and we find it fun to take a new twist on lost 'traditions'
technology can be fun if worked on this direction...
i really believe in the raw 'strength' of this genuine trend,
fashion has always been a mirror of inner social currents

LOVE this topic and the ideas posted in it Utopia, Travolta, and Lena great thoughts. This is definately the place I'm at right now and find this whole movement very inspiring because it works on so many levels in terms of lifestyle. Also I think that while this idea of going against congomerates is popular among young people I think it is rising within the baby boom generation speaking from experience of my own mother who has become a lot more holistic and lots of that generation are going in that sort of handmade, holistic, natural direction. I find the whole subject VERY interesting. :heart: :heart:

thanks meg :flower: in regards, to a return to the handmade and holistic way to look at life and objects, it would make a lot of sense to older generations. martha stewart , and the 'shabby chic' phenomenon are early indicators of the success of this trend. martha stewart basically recycles old ideas 'americana' and other cultures and reintroduces them to a new audience, and this is the root of her success, her ability to tap into a product's value. also, her magazines encourage readers to engage in creating their own products, and family heirlooms, the idea of 'starting from scratch' which is the essence of folk art. i think this type of nostalgia in design has been popular for quite awhile. for instance, pottery barn kids, a high end american furniture store, bases it's look on a 1950's? aesthetic , and this is very popular in america. i feel like this new trend goes beyond this, and refers more to a 'deconstructed' 'imperfect' ideal, for instance, the irregularity of hand craft, the uncomfortable shapes of ysl's balloon skirts, this notion that beauty has flaws. i think time is really important in regards to this trend, it's the idea that living 'holistically' is not about a rigid, calculated way of living and dividing your tasks in the most 'time efficient' way during the day, but it's about meandering about, indulging in gardening or croqueting which is all very time consuming and completely differently paced. w/ gardening and croqueting there needs to be a respect for the process, and it certainly isn't time efficient, but maybe time efficency isn't about control, it's about savoring each individual thing, little gestures, which is a very 'folk' mentality.

i tend to think of this also as having something tangible that you are working with. something that is touched, and imparts some of the 'essence' of its creator or owner. as i knit or crochet something i put in my presence of mind at the time - and when i give away a gift i have made i give away some part of myself.

i am often inspired by fruits and flowers, more often than not really. i've made a scarf out of a furry green yarn that looks just like grass, and just crocheted two little orange 'poppies' to sew onto it. and i am looking for some 'pomegranate' beads for jewelry.

anyway, just random thoughts looking at this thread again.

meme

yes, its the 'personal' touch meme that makes all the difference, that makes things special

this is a really interesting topic! it really touches the heart of where aesthetic trends are going right now.

there's something wonderful about knitting a scarf with handspun cashmere yarns (i'm doing it for my boyfriend right now!) -- so consuming and meticulous. it sure takes my mind off of worrying about things ...

but it's not just about surface treatments (fringes, crochet) that imitate quaint 1950s, bohemian 1960s, or even the (sorry to use this phrase) wabi-sabi aesthetic of rei kawakubo and others. i think it's more of a unsettled public.

what i mean is i see this "arts and crafts" trend slowly creeping (in a good way) through many forms of art/design in the US: in magazine layouts -- more hand-rendered illustrations with an organic feel, in street art and artists (PS 1, Wooster Collective), in websites like craftster and in a resurgence of interest in hand crafts, recycling vintage, and sustainability in general. at least within a subset of the community.

but i think it's not just a harkening back to a earlier, more "pure" time period. there's also something about individuals wanting to carve a niche for themselves outside of the spoon-fed trends from pop TV, pop music, commercials that target their insecurities -- whether it's through nostalgia or craft. with the internet, people know more about what's out there, that there are alternatives to driving around all day and buying lots of designer handbags. it's definitely a bottom-up trend, with origins in the shifting mindset of communities.

i personally feel alienated from enormous department stores and corporate chains. it's really changed my buying habits. it's more fulfilling to find a strange, old piece of clothing from a vintage store than to buy something (that a magazine or celebrity tells me is hot right now) from a high-end boutique. (plus, i'm broke).^_^

i have to learn how to knit, and spell crochet <haha>

i graduated from art school last year, and if trend forecasters/ marketers want to look for the answers, just look at art students! they are the filter and the pulse of culture, my we certainly have a lot of time to sit around and ponder our relevance! anyways, i remember arts and crafts were huge at school. child-like drawings, nostalgia, knitting, the quirky disarming aesthetic ruled, it seemed uncontrived to begin with, although it eventually became very contrived. it is precious without treating it precious, that is the charm. i think the design world will definately be affected by these 'graduates' mentality and philosophy on life.

btw: does anyone know of a company who want want to hire a very enthusiatic ex design student?? :P :P

I love the article! They say arts and crafts is a stretch from modern art, but modern art was actually very inspired by the simplicity of the arts and crafters.

As for the organic spirit, I don't see too much of that, it's usually about corporations and big business instead, so it's nice to see a new spotlight. :smile:

unfortunately, after all that has been said, the new spot light is just as manipulative in the end as the old marketing ploys we once worshipped. (and this is coming from someone who is interested in the business of trends/ strategy!) :X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->