Guess What's A Hot New Item?

littlemrs said:
Do those of you who refuse to wear for also refuse to wear leather shoes or carry leather handbags?

(An honest question here. I am dealing with these issues myself as I am trying to take meat out of my diet and be more conscious of these things.)

I will wear real fur only if it's vintage, and only if I already have it from a family member (no one buys it now, but my grandmother, like many others, used to wear it). I would feel weird buying it even if it were old.

I wear leather if it's a pretty standard kind because I agree with those who say that cows are killed for food anyway (which I don't eat, but so many people do). I don't buy leather that seems like the animal was killed only for the skin - like snake, for instance.

Of course, this is all totally unscientific, and maybe there are people eating snakes, and maybe more demand for leather than meat. This isn't based on any kind of hard research but on what feels OK to me.

i love the fur! i have two vintage fur pieces which i just adore! They were both mum's way back, and are beautiful. I have a rabbit jacket and a chinchilla shrug (v. cute, just sits around your shoulders.)

At first i thought if i wore them out people would throw rocks at me, (hahha) but i figure both of them are so old and "vintage" so people are abit more understanding. I don't think i'd buy one though- not quite ready to take that plunge.

Aside from the moral aspect... fur is just plain trashy.

allegra said:
I wear leather if it's a pretty standard kind because I agree with those who say that cows are killed for food anyway (which I don't eat, but so many people do).

People say that, but I'm pretty sure that cows are often killed and have their meat sold and the skin thrown out, or the skin sold and the meat wasted. Of course I got that from some biased place like PETA, but it makes sense. Are the meat & leather companies really going to cooperate? Cow's aren't rare or expensive.

I have some leather shoes but I try to avoid it. I usually get fake leather. I'm undecided about whether it's right or wrong. I mostly just don't like the upkeep and fussiness of leather.

^^it's not wrong or biased, it's totally true.

meat-cows and leather-cows are bred for totally different reasons. do you think a cow with the best skin for leather is honestly going to have the best meat, and vice versa? it doesn't work that way. and can you see like, christian louboutin retreiving the skin from dead cows from the slaughterhouse after they were sliced up for steak? no, it doesn't work like that. that's a totally horrible argument for wearing leather, it doesn't work.

i wear leather, but i secretly hate myself for it. :unsure: because faux-leather bags and shoes are poorly made, not durable, not attractive, unfortunately it's true. someday when i have made my millions, i'm going to have research done on alternative materials that can be used to make comfortable, durable, and most of all, ATTRACTIVE shoes and bags that can compete with the best leather...there's gotta be a way...

How is fur trashy? Fur is more classic than most fashion items, but it has to be worn the right way.

I have no problem with vintage fur, but that said I wouldn't buy new fur.

Did anyone see the Growing Up Gotti when one of the Gotti kids got ripped off buying a fur coat? At the end, he got another coat that looked exactly as bad. I have nothing against them personally, I'm sure their style is the epitome of mobster chic but that episode kinda turned me off fur (A LOT).

maybe if you were killed for your skin you would realize how disgusting it was. Why wear real and perpetuate the killing of animals when fake fur (although not the same) can seem quite realistic at times? i just dont find it right to kill something to look good...:cry:

is it only fur that you're against? or do you not wear leather, suede, etc.

i do wear leather shoes. at least i think they're leather. maybe they arent, i dont know. i dont wear suede though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->