Atlanta To Launch It's Own Fashion Week

Originally posted by Mutterlein@Aug 17 2004, 06:11 PM
I think there are more problems with that than Atlanta! New Orleans is not a very wealthy city and although it has culture it is restricted to a small handful of specific ones. Not to mention if it actually has a design industry/school to support any designers who decide to show?
[snapback]336167[/snapback]​

Good Point :flower:

I love Atlanta (except thier basball team :innocent: ). I don't really see at as a fashion capitol though. It could be interesting...

Originally posted by Scott@Aug 17 2004, 08:52 AM
Jeffrey in Atlanta is horrible.
[snapback]335529[/snapback]​

i agree, well not grotesque but certinly not what i thought it was going to be :blink:

San Francisco is starting a fashion week though, i think this year is the first year

Clay -- you mentioned that you worked in the Bay area and that there is actually a fashion industry there. Can you expand on this? I dont live anywhere near there but I am curious. When I think of SF -- I might think of Levis and a couple of other companies, but I havent heard much so I am underinformed -- maybe others are too. I think we always hear that if youre in fashion you have to be in NY, Paris, or Milan... I think its time we start hearning more from the other cities that have specific fashion contributions.

I'm sure the gay population is more dominant and visibile in SF, but I've been to ATL often and there's defintely a large contingent. I am unsure if its larger but Atlanta has been called the black gay mecca, which wouldn't be too surprising given its sizable black population.

As for Barneys, they may be coming to SF if they (new owners) decide to expand again.

Originally posted by Incroyable@Aug 15 2004, 04:44 PM
Is the gay population larger than San Francisco's?

You'd think a Barney's would be here in S.F. At least I wish there was.
[snapback]333272[/snapback]​

i think it's great, it will at least give young designers a means to express themselves, gain some experience...I think I'm tired of it being all about New York in America. This country is too big, too diverse to be spoonfed NYC all the time.

I wish everyone would just give it a chance and see. I just don't get how is it that b/c the majority is black that is going to be raunchy. Tasteless, tacky ppl are in every part of the world. Don't judge for goodness sakes. Be positive and give it a chance.

I dont think ANYBODY said black people are going to make the shows bad. :cry: For god sakes why has racism become such a big issue on this board.
The reason I dont think they will be good is because Atlanta isnt even known for being a big fashion city. I mean lets be honest I dont think any major company will actually take the shows seriously. When i think "Atlanta Fashion Week" i invision a bunch of student designers showing there collections, not actual houses. And the reason that will be lame is beacuse students are everywhere! so whats the point?

Besides Ive never heard of any art schools in atlanta. :sick: sorry.

there are plenty of art programs in Atlanta. I never tried to make race an issue, but i am under the impression that some believe it will be mainly urban apparel and not very attractive and maybe it's true, but I just don't want anyone to prejudge. that's like calling a pregnant woman's child ugly when you have yet to see him/her.

(i have to say the FWA site isn't so hot. i AM a bit worried. :ermm: )

I am eagerly anticipating this event. I'm curious as to what type of clothing will be shown and will be introduced. Maybe it will be a nice beginning or stepping stone to more things to come...

New Style Magazine Click here to see cover photo

PaperCity Hits Atlanta
Zac Posen to co-host launch party with Neiman Marcus' Ken Downing

ATLANTA - Monday, August 30, 2004

PaperCity, the fashion, decor, travel, and entertainment magazine, with monthly editions in Houston, Dallas, and San Francisco, is taking a big bite out of the Georgia peach today with its Atlanta debut. In honor of its launch, Zac Posen will join Neiman Marcus’ vice president of corporate public relations, Ken Downing, in co-hosting a kick-off party sponsored by the Dallas-based retail giant on September 29 at its Lenox Square location.

In its tenth year, the Houston-based publication has managed to capture the style and essence of the cities it graces. “Atlanta was missing a lot of good, strong social coverage,” Holly Moore, PaperCity magazine’s editor in chief said. “There are no style magazines in this city, and we pride ourselves on bringing the best in fashion, home, and style coverage.” PaperCity announced that Elizabeth Schulte Roth is the editor of the Atlanta edition. Roth, a nine-year veteran of Details, Vanity Fair, and Harper’s Bazaar, was most recently the public relations and promotions director for the Alliance Theatre at the Woodruff Arts Center in Atlanta.

The magazine launches with a September/October double issue, and following that, will publish monthly. Circulation in Atlanta will begin at 55,000 copies a month (as opposed to 85,000 in its other cities), with 22,000 issues being delivered to homes in high-income neighborhoods, including Buckhead and Virginia Highlands. Featured national advertisers in its 48-page broadsheet premiere issue include Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, Hermès, and MaxMara.

Moore indicated that in lieu of a large splashy marketing campaign—if you don’t count the party at Neiman Marcus—the company prefers to spend its budget on fashion. The publication has secured 320 indoor locations for distribution, including an exclusive partnership with Simon Property Group, which oversees the city’s two largest, and most trafficked shopping centers, Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza. Included in the one-year deal with Simon are designated reading areas, or lounges, that will feature PaperCity signage and distinctive distribution boxes, in addition to three major points of distribution throughout each shopping locale where visitors can pick up copies. “We don’t spend a lot of money on sizzle,” Moore said. “Where we spend our money is getting the magazine out.”
JIM SHI

Originally posted by TheSweetest@Aug 23 2004, 10:04 PM
there are plenty of art programs in Atlanta.

[snapback]343179[/snapback]​

No, not really. Not ones that have strong fashion programs at least.

But you guys need to keep in mind that even London which has Central St.Martins, London College of Fashion, Chelsea School of Art and Design, etc has a struggling fashion week. I think in order for there to be any chance of a decent fashion week the city must be a fashion capital. Atlanta certainly is not one. But even that prerequisite does not mean succes as is the case with L.A. and London.

I think people would be reacting the same way about Atlanta if it were say Cleveland or Boston instead. Both cities have good art programs, good economies, but like Atlanta there just isn't enough of the industry to draw designers and buyers there.

Originally posted by Angela A@Aug 23 2004, 10:38 PM
I am eagerly anticipating this event. I'm curious as to what type of clothing will be shown and will be introduced. Maybe it will be a nice beginning or stepping stone to more things to come...
[snapback]343222[/snapback]​

Maybe I am just too jaded but I get bored with even NYC fashion week. I really am not interested in what Americans are doing. I'd rather see Antwerp, Berlin, or Dusseldorf receive more attention.

Originally posted by marrimoda@Aug 19 2004, 02:24 PM
Clay -- you mentioned that you worked in the Bay area and that there is actually a fashion industry there. Can you expand on this? I dont live anywhere near there but I am curious. When I think of SF -- I might think of Levis and a couple of other companies, but I havent heard much so I am underinformed -- maybe others are too. I think we always hear that if youre in fashion you have to be in NY, Paris, or Milan... I think its time we start hearning more from the other cities that have specific fashion contributions.
[snapback]338602[/snapback]​

Its been years since i worked or lived there, but there are many companies they are just small and we know the big ones, Gap, Levis, Mervyns ect. Check out my post on SF fashion week. It has these guys i never heard of but is till interesting. Also chck out the Apparel Mart at Pacific Center ( i think). Defintly many Indie designers out there. I not know much here anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->