Atlanta To Launch It's Own Fashion Week

I don't really see Atlanta on the cutting edge of fashion design. I'm a little leery about a fashion week sponsored by an automobile company. Will I be attending? Maybe . . . maybe not.
[snapback]334858[/snapback]​
[/quote]

You and Incoyable said similar things regarding car companies sponsoring fashion weeks.
But Mercedes Benz sponsored 7th on 6th in New York for years. I think 2003 was the last year they did it. Only in terms of sponsorships, I believe car companies can be ideal to sponsor a creative and lifestyle event such as fashion simply cause car companies are basically the same in terms of creativity, innovation, technology and lifestyles that industries create for the buying public to aspire to. Just think of how similar the fashion and automotive industries really are. Does that make sense to anybody else besides me?
:blush:

Anyway hope you attend and let us how it turns out :flower:

I'm a little leery about a fashion week sponsored by an automobile company. Will I be attending? Maybe . . . maybe not.
[snapback]334858[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Well.... give you another example. Sydney, Australia's fashion week is originally sponsored by Mercedez Benz. but of course, Sydney has already establish itself as the hip(but not yet fashionable) place to be. On top of that... using Mercedez as prestige is a good idea...

But of course we are talking about Atlanta/GM vs. Sydney/Benz... so. I don't know.. I would be interested in how long they will last. Sydney although consistent.. nothing spectacular for the past few years.. except for Akira Isogawa... but now he is boring too... just not the same intensity and energy...

The city that can claim the uber chic store JEFFREY as their original flagship store can't be all bad B)

Originally posted by sandra@Aug 16 2004, 11:35 PM
The city that can claim the uber chic store JEFFREY as their original flagship store can't be all bad B)
[snapback]335038[/snapback]​

I wouldnt hold my breath.

Originally posted by Scott@Aug 17 2004, 10:52 AM
Jeffrey in Atlanta is horrible.
[snapback]335529[/snapback]​

That's what I heard.

I went there a couple years ago,and I hated their selection. For a shop that preaches about young talent,they sure didn't have much from them. Branquinho and Vandevorst is supposed to be the highlights. Of course,one could see in plain view the hordes of Prada,D&G et al.

Originally posted by Scott@Aug 17 2004, 11:09 AM
I went there a couple years ago,and I hated their selection. For a shop that preaches about young talent,they sure didn't have much from them. Branquinho and Vandevorst is supposed to be the highlights. Of course,one could see in plain view the hordes of Prada,D&G et al.
[snapback]335557[/snapback]​

Their selection in NY shop has been following suit. It went from downtown to Madison in no time...

That's what I was going to say. Is it still attached to Bob Ellis Shoes? :sick:

As for ATL hosting a "style week" I would have to say I'm leary. After attending the apparel mart there (many times), they don't even get half of the lines represented in NY, LA or even Dallas for that matter. The shows are very easy to shop, since they are not crowded, but not the place to search out new lines. I have friends that live there and the shopping is great and there are some indie designers but it's not really well exposed. I hope this will help put them on the map for the future.

I think the best places to shop are the vintage and second-hand shops. Otherwise,its a tremendous waste of time searching for designers because most of it is rather generic and already seen in most other places as is.

I wish this was San Francisco not Atlanta. There's much better "design" talents there than anywhere else aside from NY.

I think the idea of a Fashion Week in the South is good, but I'm not too sure Atlanta is a hot spot. :huh: But then again, I haven't seen many people from Atlanta.

Originally posted by Salvatore@Aug 17 2004, 03:02 PM
I think the idea of a Fashion Week in the South is good, but I'm not too sure Atlanta is a hot spot. :huh: But then again, I haven't seen many people from Atlanta.
[snapback]335795[/snapback]​

Well, if you were thinking Miami, it already has one.

Originally posted by Salvatore@Aug 17 2004, 03:02 PM
[snapback]335795[/snapback]​

If not Atlanta then where else? Unless you mean the southwest. Atlanta is the cultural hub of the south.

I think fashion needs a more international connection/audience in order to thrive. Like any creative or cultural field it needs that in order to breathe and keep new ideas/people coming in. That is why New York, Paris, And Milan are so succesful. It isn't just local designers who show there and it isn't just local buyers who go to the shows. On top of that all three cities have immense cultural/art scenes that help gather interest in the fashion industry.

New Orleans would be a nice place actually. It's a huge melting pop of cultures which is quite nice. B)

Originally posted by Scott@Aug 13 2004, 12:05 PM
:rofl:
Why not a fashion week in Austin?? They have small shows all the time from creative people why not they make that an official date?
[snapback]330786[/snapback]​
YES!!

You and Incoyable said similar things regarding car companies sponsoring fashion weeks.
But Mercedes Benz sponsored 7th on 6th in New York for years. I think 2003 was the last year they did it. Only in terms of sponsorships, I believe car companies can be ideal to sponsor a creative and lifestyle event such as fashion simply cause car companies are basically the same in terms of creativity, innovation, technology and lifestyles that industries create for the buying public to aspire to. Just think of how similar the fashion and automotive industries really are. Does that make sense to anybody else besides me?
:blush:

That completely makes sense to me. I was thinking the same thing when people were sneering at a car company (oh, the horror!) sponsoring fashion week. Does anyone remember NY fashion week? So, yes, good point.

Originally posted by Salvatore@Aug 17 2004, 04:51 PM
New Orleans would be a nice place actually. It's a huge melting pop of cultures which is quite nice. B)
[snapback]336023[/snapback]​

I think there are more problems with that than Atlanta! New Orleans is not a very wealthy city and although it has culture it is restricted to a small handful of specific ones. Not to mention if it actually has a design industry/school to support any designers who decide to show?

Originally posted by nuiko@Aug 17 2004, 05:09 PM
YES!!
[snapback]336047[/snapback]​

Yeah, I could see that. The southewest is a bit more progressive than it's eastern neighbors. SXSW is held there and that is one of the biggest events in alternative music. But again, will it attract buyers? I suppose it could if the city can attract indie hipsters and record labels.

Mutter,its true!! The majority of designers who eventually get bought up(not my words but a friend that's based there)are by musicians and a slew of contemporary artists. I was quite impressed by the ambience of local talents there. Especially on South Congress street.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->