Azzedine Alaia Haute Couture S/S 2003 Paris

Lola701

Reaction score
Mr Alaia's iconic 2nd collection of the decade (he made his return to the runway in 2001), during his Prada days.

vogue.ru

Last edited by a moderator:
the construction of his clothes always leaves me speechless. I mean, I dare to say that even 17 years after and with more technology, no one can even dream about reaching his talent and level of perfection.
ugh, I’m so jealous of the women who were able to buy this.
Even when he’s not my favorite designer (but easily one of my top 5) I can say that he was the most talented -in terms of skills- of all times.
long live Alaïa!

What I find so great about this collection is that any one of these models can wear these clothes right off the runway and into their regular lives (yes, even a swanky gala at night) and she wouldn’t look Like she just stepped off the runway in Paris. There’s no blatant fantasy-landish, wow-factor that you’d normally see in a HC show(especially from this era).

Last edited:
Contrary to many people on this forum who have strong penchant for fantasy (hence the adulation for McQueen and Galliano), I'm more interested in the austere, luxurious bourgeoisie aesthetic of geniuses like Alaia or Elbaz. This collection cemented my love for the former, in particular because everytime I look at each image--especially the tailoring section--this realism-rooted fantasy of wearing them in the midst of a city's hustle and bustle always comes up in my mind.

Him and the man in my name are so many orders of magnitude above any other dressmaker (because designers only know how to moodboard) working nowadays. True to their style, their craft and always unique.

A legacy none will match in the future. The simplicity and elegance of Alaïa was there from beginning to end.

You could easily count how many designers got “inspired” by this collection/Le Maestro Alaia in their respective careers. Maestro Alaia is the only one who could create an haute couture collection with pragmatism in mind, which I find it magnificent that he was able to inject a sense of modernity in the dusted old craft of haute couture. As always the tailoring is impeccable in a way that you could only find in his clothes. Even more than a decade later, this collection is still fresher than most of the big houses showing nowadays.

There’s no blatant fantasy-landish, wow-factor that you’d normally see in a HC show(especially from this era).

To be totally fair, it’s a « all in one » collection...Like basically all the Alaia collections. And that’s maybe the modernity of this. Mr Alaia showed Couture and RTW together and in this particular collection, he showed Spring and Fall together.

It’s totally unusual, removed from all the classical formats of fashion. He literally opened with a wool (or cashmere) coat and closed with a short tuxedo.

When he showed « seasonal » collections, he did added more drama (ball gowns, big shearling coats).

015_gettyimages_163038294_jpg_9330.jpg
source: vogure.fr
The back of this multicoloured mousseline dress is just breathtaking! Lola, thank you so much for posting this collection that I have visited for several times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariasomeone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->