Azzedine Alaia

Azzedine Alaia editorial, Elle (US), April 2006

Scannend by sister-d, bwgreyscale discussion board

source

^ i have that issue of elle... the clothes are absolutley beautiful, but i wasn't really that impressed honestly... it just doesn't seem very 'alaia' to me... :unsure: ... i guess i'm just not used to this kind of feminine softness from him... i think the outfit in the third photo (cropped 'bra' top worn with the full skirt) is the most quintessentially 'alaia' of all of them ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Two images from "A Quatre Temps"
Photographed by Paolo Roversi
French Vogue, May 1992
Scanned by phila

source

those clothes above are sex! :heart:

i get excited when i see the vintage alaia stuff in rellik its just cut so beautifully

[FONT=arial,helvetica]From "Tropical Whites"
Photographed by Hans Feurer
American Vogue, May 1990
[/FONT]

source

KhaoticKharma said:
Quick question- is it a-LIE-uh, a-LAY-uh or either way you want?

I believe it's A-lah-i-a. 'Cause there's two "dots" over the "i" which means you have to pronounce it. Just like the perfume Anaïs Anaïs. If there's only one "dot" i is pronounce as a "y". So the name Alaia would be pronounced totally different to Alaïa... Not that I care, but if your french it's a big deal, like the accents over the e's and a's...*stops being french teacher*:innocent:

Xx

^ Thanks for the pronunciation lesson :wink:

"Shapely Alaia"
Photographed by Gilles Bensimon
Elle (US), October 1989

source: herfamedgoodlooks.com

VICTIM said:
those clothes above are sex! :heart:

i get excited when i see the vintage alaia stuff in rellik its just cut so beautifully

Do you usually see his shoes at rellik? By the way is rellik very expensive?:innocent:

King of the curve: To Russia with love
By Suzy Menkes, International Herald Tribune
Monday, May 22, 2006

PARIS No sooner had Azzedine Alaïa fitted last week the final seam of Sofia Coppola's short, sculpted little black dress for Cannes, then the designer was off to Moscow. The king of the curve has been invited to take his couture creations to Russia and is now finalizing the venue for an exhibition that will open in 2007.

How appropriate then that Alaïa's new collection has the look of Russian dolls, twirling in dresses with fluffy furry skirts or in shearling coats, laminated like the surface of a frozen lake.

Since he is a couturier to his fingertips, the iconic designer, whose collections hatch when they are ready, is presenting now for the autumn/winter season. But he is totally in tune with current style.

The plays on volume, that brings clothes cut to shadow the body, rather than cinching it, were expertly done, with double-breasted coats fitted at the torso, swelling below a dropped waist. Bell-shaped skirts rose high up the midriff while drapes were worked in jersey to go with the body flow.

With a 1980s revival in full flood, other designers have reworked signature Alaïa pieces such as the tight-bodice tutu mini-dresses. Yet the designer himself has moved ahead, by moving away from the body. And no one can match the master's couture skills. They include treating leather, pierced with "ajouré" seaming and holding a shape like whipped cream; or using lace with the sophisticated lightness you find in Parisian macaroons.

Fitting and sewing every piece himself, Alaïa has a loyal and enduring following that is based on far more than nostalgia for the sexy power woman.

Coppola, who had Alaïa on hand to make tiny adjustments to her changing shape, now that she is expecting her first baby, is only one of the designer's A- list clients. Victoria Beckham has also discovered the designer and brought her soccer-playing husband David along last month to watch the fitting.

And little by little, Alaïa is expanding his empire under the guidance of Prada, with which it has a partnership since 2000. Its shoe range has been extended and includes anything from lacy platform shoes to hairy goat boots looking furry enough for a Russian winter.

Breaking with tradition that has made the hidden store at 7 Rue de Massy a destination only for shoppers in the know, a window is about to open on the blank facade. The Australian designer Marc Newson is transforming the space into a shoe store that will be on show in July - appropriately during the haute couture season.

^ thanks for the article, fashionologie!

it's a little upsetting to me that he's moving away from his 'signature' style, but everyone has to move forward at one point... and i know the collection will be nonetheless breathtaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting, fashionologie :flower:

From "Black Magic"
Photographed by Gilles Bensimon
Elle (US), June 2006

Scanned by me

he still is a master, what we call, a designers designer.. his clothes are totally to die for :heart:

thanks for th IHT article repost fashionologie and fopr all the F.A.B pics you brought in for us Dos Violines :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirrormodel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->