Balenciaga F/W 01.02 Paris

helmut.newton

Reaction score
Brilliant collection and his final collection before the Gucci Group acquired Balenciaga.

PARIS, March 15, 2001

By Armand Limnander

All week long, the question on everybody's mind was: What would Nicolas Ghesquière, the man who has been dubbed "fashion's new messiah," do to top himself at Balenciaga?

Ghesquière's success has everything to do with his ability to subtly evoke a variety of references, altogether avoiding clichés and creating clothes that are richly layered in meaning and almost impossible to categorize. The early 1900s were a point of departure for his black-and-gray collection, but Ghesquière's architectural and impeccably executed designs soon took on a life all their own. Tight vests created hourglass silhouettes, some with exaggerated hips; front plackets on tops were tightly wound and crisscrossed like lace-up corsets. His fitted trousers, which have a devout cult following, were studded to match buckle jackets; miniskirts came with layer upon layer of ruffles, pleats, tassels, and appliqués that never looked redundant or heavy-handed.

Given his ongoing success, will Ghesquière launch his own label anytime soon? "I'm very happy at Balenciaga," said the designer after the show. "But I also want to work on my own line. The ideal would be to do both things simultaneously."

Full collection:

1179tli.jpg
29ghkl5.jpg

2mmahyd.jpg
20u8mpt.jpg

style.com/

I wish fashion would return this . Absolutely gorgeous !

Thanks a lot for the threads Helmut, its appreciated by some of us. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the thread, Helmut! I like Ghesquière a lot. :blush:

I love the re-visits to the old collections...plus its nicer to see the collection all on one page...thank you!

The clothes are very wearable, which I like. They are well-constructed, I have pieces from this collection. But they don't really "wow" when you wear them ... people notice you, not the clothes.

^^ word, I like the past collection posts also -- I like to be reminded once in a while of what designers previous collections looked like, especially when the threads are juxtaposed with their designs today!

It really IS quite surprising to be looking overe these images several years later. Especially considering that clothes move seasonally, not anually, Ghesquiere was quite ahead of the trend curve. Especially in terms of pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew637
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->