Balenciaga Mens F/W 04.05 Paris

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Orochian, May 7, 2004.

View Users: View Users
  1. Orochian

Orochian New Member

Don't think these have been posted before.

I generally like Ghesquiere's work, his first menswear season for Balenciaga was quite brilliant (but ridiculously priced...), but from these pictures provided by GQ UK, I'd have to say this collection possess some of the weirdest and most ungainly shapes in menswear I've seen... :ninja: Those high-waisted trousers look particularly unflattering.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Orochian

Orochian New Member

3. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

Quite predictable, yet I still liked some pieces such as the loose pants.

4. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

Those don't look really flaterring. :doh:

5. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Not sure about the A/W stuff. Doesn't look so good to me. I think that in a sense he's designing clothes that don't really fit with with the budget - that is, the selling price is too high for the product. Someone else has mentioned this elsewhere, that if he was desiging under his own name he'd be unlikely to get as much stick. But I also think that if he were doing that his prices wouldn't be nearly so high. Balenciaga will want the prices to be high for the brand's integrity, presentation, image etc. Also, the clothes look very well cut and finished - in terms of quality - but to my mind are too "feminine" for a menswear collection. I tried on a layered t-shirt in Paris this spring which was about 400 Euros, which is about as high a price for a t-shirt that you can get. But it's precisely the same design, and I think, cut, as the woman's version from the same collection. When it was on it just didn't seem to fit properly. I think this explains to some extent the awkwardness of the clothes. Basically, I think he's having to try to hard to fit a brief in terms of not just look but production values that he doesn't feel comfortable with.

6. runner

runner .

Those don't look really flaterring. :doh:[/b][/quote]
    seems like S/S 2001 Louis Vuitton male collection.

7. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

The entire collection was horrible,imo. Not the shapes,but as igni said,the predictablity of it. Seems too much the same repetitive style that's going on in menswear at the moment. The debut collection I never saw as a whole but I do remember a picture of a tweedy,nicely tailored jacket in Self Service that I quite liked....and that was before Gucci Group,non? So perhaps there is also pressures that are prevolent as far as deadlines not to mention this is also the first runway exposé?

400€ for t'shirt Johnny?! :blink: I suspect this had gold fibres in it?

8. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

I seriously want to know who the clothes are made for...I understand the pressure Ghesquiere must be under to release some version of menswear (i think someone somewhere was producing mesnwear under the balenciaga name legitimately under license in asia somewhere still)...but this is the second person i've heard that has said that shirts from the so-called mens collection fit exactly like the women's shirts (which by the way, didn't fit either). i enjoyed what ghesquiere was trying to do here (i particularly like the shrunken jacket with the very ghesquiere-for-balenciaga pockets and detailing; also the bombers...and the sneakers while nothing new looked like they could sell well under balenciaga) but i have a feeling that the clothes simply will not translate into well made garments in the stores.

as much as people may be glad to see tom ford go, there was quality in gucci menswear. what you saw on the runway was actually accessible at the store level in many cases. there is an extreme disconnect between ghesquiere's presentations and the actual product. one of the perks of being in a conglomerate is the access to the best along with some of the leading brands: it makes you wonder why balenciaga is having these type of problems when other brands in the group are not (i've heard no complaints about fit at mcqueen, for instance)

9. Acid

Acid yes

i just tried on some of the S/s mens balenciaga clothes

the pants were :sick: the worst fit ever........size 30 waist was more like 24....impossible to get into

the a/w2003 collection was much better

10. Orochian

Orochian New Member

The first menswear collection was launched AFTER the house has been bought by Gucci, but I believe this is the first runway show for the line.

And I agree with the sentiments that his menswear items have a tendency to be cut like womenswear. I'm a standard size 46 and once tried on an absolute beautiful blue vintage cordury jacket from his first collection, and found it way too tight and constricting around the torso. Going one size up wouldn't work either, the sleeves would've been too long. I'm quite skinny as is and I can't imagine how men of average sizes would fit into his clothes.

But why do I care, it's not like I'd buy his clothes at their current prices anyway. :ninja:

11. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

wait a month...they'll be slash eighty percent off...it's not like it's flying off the store shelves

12. Mutterlein

Mutterlein Active Member

It reminds me alot of Dior Homme's Fall 2004 show but with crazy cuts and ugly volumes.

13. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

it was totally predictable, it was just liek the womens clothes, btu watered down.

still soem nice pieces.

14. Acid

Acid yes

mikejames.......you're so right.......

in harvey nichols.....they really down priced all the balenciaga menswear

except the jacket i wanted :angry:

15. metal-on-metal

The problem with Balenciaga mens is, of course, the fit. A friend of mine who generally wears a 48 in most designers (not a thin Nicolas-body type, somewhat built but slim) could barely squeeze into a 54 when we were out shopping a couple weeks ago. That is absolutely insane. Everyone expects a little size variation in labels. But to have to go up FOUR sizes is just ridiculous.

The Balenciaga mens collection is built and fit for women. That's the bottom line. I don't know how they expect to sell when no one can possibly squeeze into those clothes. It's really ridiculous.

16. Christopher31

Christopher31 New Member

Do you guys think that I could fit in Balenciaga... I have a very small frame,.. at 38 short (normally) is still a bit big for me. What is Nicholas's body type.

If it could fit... I defintely want to look into it at sale time.

17. Acid

Acid yes

i can fit into dior homme 30 waist pants perfectly

i couldnt fit into 32 waist balenciaga pants if i tried

18. Christopher31

Christopher31 New Member

oops i forgot to mention that when i meant 38 (short) i meant in a blazer, LOL

I fit into dior homme waist 30 or 29...hah :wacko:

19. Acid

Acid yes

o yea im sure the blazers will be fine. the tops fitted nice

20. Christopher31

Christopher31 New Member

Awesome! Thanks Sean :flower: