Beauty is Pain?? Discuss. . .

stilettogirl84

Reaction score
I've been thinking lately about all the things women do to themselves for the sake of beauty. I personally have a love of high heels, that is completely unhindered by their impracticality or discomfort.

It got me to thinking of other things in the women have done and do now in to fit into the cultural idea of "beauty" in their time/ culture-

in some tribal peoples, a long neck is prized, and so the women wear metal rings around their neck- to strech them out. Rings are continually added, and eventually women cannot remove them because their necks will no longer support the weight of their head on their own.

in victorian times, women wore corsets, sometimes so tight that ribs were broken or cracked. Even during pregnancy, corsets were worn, and often birth defects and miscarriges were caused by this practice.

In aincient china (and as late as the 1930's), the practice of footbinding was practiced by nearly all well to do families who wished to marry off their daughters. The mothers would begin binding the feet of their young daughters at the age of three or four, tying the feet tight with fabric strips. The toes would be gradually broken and twisted underneath the foot, leaving the women unable to walk without great pain. The ideal was the three inch long "golden lotus" which was rarely acheived.

Nowadays, we look back and say to ourselves- we are modern- we are liberated. And we look down on the "poor backward women of the past"

but really are we so different?

And are high heels the modern footbinding? Women with bound feet were said to have a careful shuffling way of walking, which men at the time found to be stimulating. Are not high heels the same way? Women strutt their stuff in stilettos, and feel sexy and beautiful. But at the same time, just like bound feet, high heels are impractical, impair movement, and can often be quite painful.

I'm not planning on giving up high heels anytime soon, but it hurts the liberal in me a little bit to say so.

What are everyone elses opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
the difference now is the choices we have...
you may CHOOSE to wear high heels...
but you have just as many flat options...

so...
in that way...
i would say we are completely different to the women of the past...
:flower:...

btw- i am quite sure we have a thread with this sort of discussion...
and actually with some of the very same pics posted ....
but i have no idea where to find it...^_^...

It's not so much the stilletos that bother me these days, it is the fake breasts, face lifts, arm lifts, calf implants, tummy tucks, butt lifts/implants, sand blasting ... so much money to MAYBE look better when you could just spend it on a personal trainer and some stilletos. I'm all for looking your best within reason - extreme pain, and unnessecary surgery is not 'within reason'

If pain includes being a pain in the ****, then I'd say yes!

In other words, I don't think beauty necessarily means physical pain these days since we have equally fashionable non-physically painful choices as Soft mentioned, but I do think it's a "pain" to maintain beauty. Think of all the time and money spent shaving, fixing your hair and applying make-up every morning, monthly touch up jobs on the do, pedi's and mani's, etc. The list goes on... So, in short, if you consider the loss of this time and money painful as I do, then the answer to this question would be yes :D

Deep thoughts by Curious :P

I have noticed that fashion and pain are seeming to go hand-in-hand which leads to the whole plastic-surgery debate.

And corsets are back in a way although not the tiny ones.

Curious said:
If pain includes being a pain in the ****, then I'd say yes!

In other words, I don't think beauty necessarily means physical pain these days since we have equally fashionable non-physically painful choices as Soft mentioned, but I do think it's a "pain" to maintain beauty. Think of all the time and money spent shaving, fixing your hair and applying make-up every morning, monthly touch up jobs on the do, pedi's and mani's, etc. The list goes on... So, in short, if you consider the loss of this time and money painful as I do, then the answer to this question would be yes :D

Deep thoughts by Curious :P
excellent thoughts....
^_^...

i fully agree...
the 'fashion' part is a pleasure for me...
but the 'grooming' part is a pain...

:rolleyes:

Beauty shouldn't be painful. We have many more choices these days. Except getting my brows threaded...thats a little painful for me...but it's better than waxing. I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->