Betsey Johnson to Retire After September Show

papa_levante

oh! darling
Reaction score
June 30, 2009 / nymag.com

Betsey Johnson takes the train to the Hamptons, but the commute is getting to her. “I’m swearing after last weekend that I will never leave on Friday again,” the designer said at the launch party for By Invitation Only, a novel set in the Hamptons. “I should be retired. I’m basically screwing up because I’m not retired. I’d like to go in four days a month, something like that,” Johnson told us. She wants to travel, and says she and her partner, Chantal Bacon, have been working on a succession plan for a year. “My partner and I, we both want to know what would it be like to get up in the morning and go, ‘What do I do today?’” Johnson said.

Johnson believes Eric Sartori, who previously designed for Vera Wang, Hervé Léger, and Azzedine Alaïa, will become the brand’s head designer. “He is the one,” she says. “He’s much better than I am. He just has to Betsey-fy himself.” Johnson wants to hand over the reins after her September show. "But I’ll be a megaconsultant. I’ll go in. I want to be like Ralph [Lauren]. Like, I always imagined the perfect life is like Ralph, where he goes in, and his wonderful expert crews show him work, and he goes, 'Love it, love it, love it, um, we’ll just put that aside for the moment, love it, love it, hmmm.' You know what I mean?" she said. "And be that — be the inspiration, the light at the end of the tunnel, the fairy godmother that comes down."

Johnson says she’s never been able to let go, and she and her partner never feel anything is right “unless we do it or tweak it or correct it. ... And we’ve got to learn to get over that, because we want to wake up and have nothing to do,” she says. “And it is very, very hard to find your clone. It makes you figure out what you are and why, and is that working, and is that what you stand for, and is that what the business goes forward with? It’s really difficult, and I highly suggest thinking about it in your forties instead of your sixties.”

:( Thats sad. I love Betsey Johnson. She was such a breath of fresh air from the rest of the boring crap at NY Fashion week.

For real? I love her stuff! Most too flamboyant to wear on a daily basis but always so fun and flirty!

This is definitely sad to me as well, it will be interesting though to see the new direction that the brand will go in. I certainly am hoping for a bit more vampy look for some of the things, that's for sure-while at the same time retaining the very essence that is the Betsey Johnson brand.

:( Thats sad. I love Betsey Johnson. She was such a breath of fresh air from the rest of the boring crap at NY Fashion week.
Amen. Hopefully the brand doesn't change too much. I have a peplum hoodie and a gold watch from her and I looooooooove her stuff to death. I guess it's good that she recognizes that maybe the best thing for the brand is for her to retire.

i cannot imagine anyone replacing her! like, richie rich and traver rains are less flamboyant than she....

i'm not surprised really. nothing bad to say as one has to admire how long she has been at it but it's become so tired and redundant her collections. ever since the early 00's every collection has looked pretty much the same to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->