" Blacklisted"

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by clay, Aug 17, 2004.

1. clay

clay New Member

Ok here it is 2004 and a friend just told me they have "Black Listed" cause they can not find a job in fashion as a designer. They had a great relationship with their former employer but after 4 years things went badley and they left. Since then they have had no luck securing a job even though they are very creative, great career history and have a great attitude. I said that times are just hard but they insist their former employer did something but they can not explain it.

How the hell can such a thing happen? I doubt it can but if someone has such an experience please share it.

2. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

all they can do is gossip and badmouth...which many people do...that is not uncommon at all...people are petty and small...especially in this business...it's pretty scarey...

but things are very tough and it's hard to find a full-time gig these days unless it's entry level for very little $$$...that's probably more likely the problem...

3. clay

clay New Member

Thats what I am saying, cause I have not found one either, amd I am certainly not entry level. But even if people gossip they can not possibly " get to "everyone that might hire you. Crazy stuff!!!!
    :wacko:

4. Luna

Luna offline.

I know this girl in my class who apparently left the internship that I'm now working at... things were left on very bad terms... she moved into the assistant designers apartment because she had nowhere to stay.. and basically ruined the assistant designers life for a few months...

Well.. she's conveniently passed it on to every colleague of hers to never hire this girl for anything...

So I guess in a way she's been a bit "blacklisted"... :ninja:

5. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

I bet the author of that "Devil in Prada" will never work in anything vaguely fashion or perhaps even literary ever again. Rather incompetently written to boot.

6. clay

clay New Member

That may qualify. But how many peple could she possibly effect?

7. orlem

orlem New Member

I'm so glad someone agrees about the worthlessness of that book! This post reminded me of it too.

8. clay

clay New Member

I think she is still writing. Besides she made tons of dough on that book. She probably never wants to go back into fashion. If you know how nasty it is ,whenever you do not have go back, you usually do not ,from my experience.
    :wink:

9. Luna

Luna offline.

Whoever she's worked for or whoever she's friends with I guess.

The one thing the head of the accessories always told me was to never part badly with a job or internship... leave things on good terms, because the industry is not that large... you'll always bump into people you know at conventions and things.

10. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

It's like the art world. Or various industry circles actually. When one puts things into a microcosmic perspective all the industry circles are extremely tight-knit. But cultural/design circles are notoriously vicious.

Really, that novel had terrible style, syntax, etc. And she wanted to write for "The New Yorker?"

11. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

that's true...but you can never get along with everyone and almost everyone has had some run in or incident in their career...

so most people will understand that it might have just been a personal issue...it's if you keep hearing it from a number of people that you know there must really be a problem with the person...

plenty of people get fired from one job and get another one right away...it's weird...

12. clay

clay New Member

I only read a small portion from a mag once. But hey I do not hold the greatest command of Enblish ( I mean Eglish , I mean Engish.. Shoot) anyway.

Your point is well taken though. :flower:

13. Acid

Acid yes

it was Lena who actually told me about how you can get blacklisted in the fashion world......

its actually very serious, they can make your life hell
    so im glad i was told now rather than later

14. happyguy

happyguy New Member

15. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

its all about attitude
    clever PR, flexibility and good manners is number one when dealing in the fashion system.

16. Ameera

Ameera New Member

you can get black listed in any other feild even not related to fashion.