Blumarine by Marc Jacobs - A 2023 Capsule Collection

LadyJunon

Reaction score
The "Blumarine by Marc Jacobs" capsule was released today:

The collection is a collection between Blumarine and Marc Jacobs' Heaven diffusion line.

The price point is halfway between Heaven's and Blumarine's price point and it seems like he's leaning heavily into the Gen-Z audience now.

Junk aside, these collaborations have taken fashion to a brand new bottom: so 90% of fashion is all covers bands (John Johns singing Cristobal Balenciaga's greatest hits from 1952, Bob Whatever singing Yves Saint Laurent's hot songs from 1966, etc), and now we've reached: Cristobal Balenciaga's songs by John Johns in a duet with Bob Whatever performing Yves Saint Laurent. Fashion's trainwreck of desperation's next stop: its cover of the 2010 cover of 1985's We Are The World. The nameless singers that rehash Blumarine, Balenciaga, Gucci, Celine, Chloé, Nina Ricci, Saint Laurent, Givenchy, Dior, all coming together under THE capsule collection that targets the indecision of not just 1, but 10 customers so hopefully 10 indecisive people can help turn the tide into one full decision, let's go! :mansurfing:

The price point is halfway between Heaven's and Blumarine's price point and it seems like he's leaning heavily into the Gen-Z audience now.

It’s ironic tho that a lot of Gen Z fashion ‘people’ or whatever tend to not like Heaven cus of some of the controversy… Ofc, tiktok crowd gonna love it but no one will love it enough even for that price point when you could just get more distinctive pieces elsewhere.

So there’s this weird middle ground I suppose they are trying to hit idk.

It’s ironic tho that a lot of Gen Z fashion ‘people’ or whatever tend to not like Heaven cus of some of the controversy…
I just googled "heaven marc jacobs controversy" and the first result was about POC aesthetical exploitation. How nice.:mrgreen:

It’s ironic tho that a lot of Gen Z fashion ‘people’ or whatever tend to not like Heaven cus of some of the controversy… Ofc, tiktok crowd gonna love it but no one will love it enough even for that price point when you could just get more distinctive pieces elsewhere.

So there’s this weird middle ground I suppose they are trying to hit idk.
same issue as marc has always has. Marc Jacobs mainline was crazy expensive for what it was and Marc By Marc was also crazy expensive for what it was. His prices have never matched the product.

Sometimes I wish Marc never created heaven the brand is VILE, but we all gotta make money somehow.

same issue as marc has always has. Marc Jacobs mainline was crazy expensive for what it was and Marc By Marc was also crazy expensive for what it was. His prices have never matched the product.

Marc by Marc always had accessibly-priced smaller accessories, totes and tshirts though? Obviously leather bags were going to cost but his main line and MBMJ were flourishing into the late 00s and he was easily the most influential American designer still working in that era, no contest. It wasn't till the '10s that his brand started floundering. But before that he was one of the main brands that the Topshop, Zara and H&M of that era were knocking off!

this Blumarine sh*t is pure stinker through and through (y2k aesthetics are no longer a trend, I'm surprised Marc of all people has failed to clue in to that), like please, the time to do this was MAYBE 2021 at the latest. And especially puzzling because Marc's own designs in that era never looked anything like the y2k stuff that got trendy in 2020? He'd have been better served by revisiting his own work than attaching his name to these random collaborations but I have no idea what the money situation is so maybe it works for that.

I don't even think the Heaven line is anything more than a rubberstamp by Marc on whatever Ava Nirui puts out, it has barely any trace of the aesthetic influence of Marc's collections from the first two decades of his career but the "controversy" article is a pile of poorly written word soup. I mean

others perceive heaven as a mix of different cultural aesthetics without any acknowledgement of the POC that created this blueprint.

followed by

In a 2020 campaign lookbook for heaven, Marc Jacobs called on the creator of FRUiTS, a Japanese fashion magazine, and photographer Shoichi Aoki to capture models wearing heaven’s clothing in Tokyo

is Shoichi Aoki considered white now or is hiring him not considered acknowledgement of his influence on spreading that aesthetic

followed by how google searches of y2k icons turning up white celebs, or black ones being called "trashy" is somehow the fault of MJ? and this is from a Yale student (who presumably learnt how to write from twitter, going by the apparent inability to make coherent or logical arguments, I hope that kid's class assignments are better than whatever he submits to that campus clickbait site).

I just googled "heaven marc jacobs controversy" and the first result was about POC aesthetical exploitation. How nice.:mrgreen:

made up "controversy" from a website where Ivy League college students complain about their lives :rolleyes: that shows you how seriously to take it

if even i-D, fashionista or refinery29 don't find these nitpicks worth making for outrage clicks it's a complete non-issue and anyone saying it's a real thing among Gen Z is just trying to make fetch happen.

the line is still hideous sh*t though, and so is this Blumarine nonsense. Someone needs to tell that Nicola dude to move on from y2k already, it was ugly then and it's still ugly now, I feel bad for the cloth that went into making it.

Reminds me of Gadzooks circa 2002-2003 and not in a good way

made up "controversy" from a website where Ivy League college students complain about their lives :rolleyes: that shows you how seriously to take it

if even i-D, fashionista or refinery29 don't find these nitpicks worth making for outrage clicks it's a complete non-issue and anyone saying it's a real thing among Gen Z is just trying to make fetch happen.

the line is still hideous sh*t though, and so is this Blumarine nonsense. Someone needs to tell that Nicola dude to move on from y2k already, it was ugly then and it's still ugly now, I feel bad for the cloth that went into making it.

A lot of the controversy people found with it is that it copied a smaller brand. I think this just affirmed the popularity of second hand shopping and small businesses when it came to shopping y2k.

I didn't even click on it, because I refused to give it my energy. It's just my reaction to the quite pretentious title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swfrank123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->