Esquire October 1989
Ralph Lauren Chaps FW 89.90

Photo Bruce Weber
Model Matt McColm

esquire

Versace ''Dylan Blue'' perfume pour femme 2017
model:Faretta Radic
photo:Bruce Weber
my scan (Karavan Istoriy Russia March 2019)

karavan ru march 2019 faretta.jpg

US Vogue September 1979
Valentino Boutique FW 79.80

Photo Bruce Weber
Models Debbie Dickinson, Billy Shelly

vogue

US Vogue September 1979
Polo by Ralph Lauren FW 79.80

Photo Bruce Weber
Models Ralph Laurent, Clotilde, Rob Yoh, Mary Maciukas, Unknown

vogue

US Vogue September 1979
Calvin Klein FW 79.80

Photo Bruce Weber, Irving Penn, Uli Rose
Models Lisa Taylor, Frank Dzurenko, Patti Hansen

vogue

Every image in this thread (...except Martha Stewart's LOL) just reaffirms as to why his legacy is one of the best fashion photographers for me: Timeless, a masterclass of composition without breaking a sweat, and most importantly, effortlessly smouldering and always about people— but mostly men, before fashion. The best of Bruce was always so good at conjuring the primal beauty of the human form, and a certain mood that was always beyond just mere fashion; a remainder that all the expensive garments and masterclass and daring cuts pale by comparison to the beauty of the form that wears it.

Unfortunate that he seems to have forgotten this— his work was already in demise even before his trespasses that resulted in his banishment from fashiondom. And his current efforts pale by comparison (like, by leagues), and a great reminder to politely bow out when one’s got nothing left to offer, lest your creative standing be tarnished.

As far as I know he wasn't charged with any misconduct. The mediocre male model that came forward with the allegations had sent him countless nude images, making desperate advances, and because of that the case was dropped.
Bruce's problem was that his images are not understood under puritanical-cancel-culture USA. He has no problem working in Europe. That fact that he is still alive and not being able to work in the US is such a shame. He is not just another photographer, he art-directed a country. And without him brands like Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein and Versace would have not been able to be so successful.

^ Well what you know is incorrect, his case was not 'dropped', it was settled and it wasn't just one model.

I adore his work, I think he is a photographer that is far superior than most out there, every time old pictures are posted in this thread, I rush here because I miss seeing his work. I am not born nor raised in the US but I do believe in the court of law and that if you press charges and allow justice to be served (giving you the option to settle is one of the freedoms it allows) and the outcome creates a record that prevents or at least diminishes similar acts from happening, then that is all there is, justice is not a tooth-by-tooth dynamic, it's a system that aims to preserve society and people should be allowed to resume their work, whether they are unwilling if the level of privilege (budget) they used to work under has been affected, that's another story.

Bruce is American, his work is pure Americana and has taken place and gained profit primarily in the US, through icons of American pop culture. To say that his work is not understood in the US and to suggest it is understood better in Europe is to.. maybe not be that familiar with his work after all and what has informed his work and his cultural context.

The US is one of these strange countries that every person who is not and/or has never lived in the US, is truly convinced that they can fully assess and totally understand just based on the number of US exports and media that they are able to consume. Cultures and societies are complex, yes, even the US. And while it does have puritanical elements and it does export the most basic definition of terrorism, it has also exported a sense of outspokenness, litigiousness, solidarity and action-driven mentality that more bureaucratic cultures lack. Without 'Me too', there would be no 'balance ton porc' and French victims that found empowerment and a voice after years of not standing a chance in front of people sheltered by power. People can cry all they want about the oh-so puritanical cancel culture and yet, it created an awareness that enough noise can bring abusers in power down, and certainly an awareness that there are consequences for a type of behavior that, when personally attractive, it will naturally make you hate and ridicule the movement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honorata
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->