Celebs At The Rodeo Drive Walk Of Style 2004

From fashionweekdaily.com :heart:
Tom Ford's Black Carpet
A night of finales and firsts as Ford begins life in L.A.

Monday, March 29, 2004

Eight hundred slickly dressed fashion and film insiders lined the hallowed bushes and boutiques of Rodeo Drive Sunday night as the soon-to-retire Tom Ford walked his own black carpet to receive a Robert Graham-designed statuette, the second annual Rodeo Drive Walk of Style Award (the first went to Giorgio Armani).

In his signature velvet jacket and white open-necked shirt, Ford decreed “I’ve gotten a number of awards I was embarrassed to hang up in my house, but this is a Robert Graham, and for that, I’m grateful.” Engraved on it were Ford’s own words: “Beauty is a powerful thing. It can add enormously to the quality of life.” It sure has added to his – he now gets to live in LA, Santa Fe and a townhouse in London. Ford told the LA Times on Saturday that if he is to direct films, they don’t have to be big – “small can be very powerful,” and he would design his own costumes. No surprise there.

It was one night in Hollywood where no one had to ask, “What are you wearing?” Who was well-turned out in Tom: Heather Graham (in a black and purple Gucci corset dress), Angie Harmon (in a black Gucci mini), Shiva Rose McDermott (in a red Gucci satin corset dress) Rita Wilson (who’s flesh colored sequin Gucci cocktail dress and feathered chub almost outshone the other Tom (Hanks)), Portia de Rossi (in a black chiffon and ruched Gucci cocktail dress), Kate Beckinsale (in YSL), Christina Applegate (in scarlet YSL), Sandra Bernhardt (in jeans and a YSL jacket), and a VERY late Ashton and Demi, who snuck into the cordoned-off Rodeo Drive area in dueling YSL outfits (his: a pinkish dandy suit, hers: a dark purple ruched dress). Nobody minded that the still-super couple (who else is left since Ben and Jen broke up?) called Gucci Group looking for outfits as late as Sunday morning. Even at the last minute, Ashton and Demi still didn’t get the dregs. If Tom Ford knows anything, it’s who counts.

There was no runway show à la Giorgio Armani’s award ceremony but still plenty of entertainment. Nicky Hilton worked the arrivals line for Marie Claire and E! Entertainment, then bolted after spying arch enemy Shannon Doherty, changing into a gold lame gown and walking the carpet herself, making sure not to miss one photo op. LA institution Peggy Moffat, with husband Bill Claxton, outshined every starlet in her self-designed Commes des Garçons shorts and sweater. Carine Roitfeld, unknown to Hollywood types, blew the fashion community away in a crème YSL chiffon gown, making blond starlets seem unnecessary. Mario Testino hobbled in on a cane, with a huge brace on his foot. “I fell in my own house, “ he admitted. “Isn’t that stupid?”

Beautiful ingénue Mischa Barton admitted “I’m wearing this Gucci dress for the event,” and sported a cute strapless tulle dancer dress, much like the Chanel style she usually favors. Obscure actress Bai Ling wore the loudest outfit of the night, a garish yellow lace confection we’re sure Ford would like to hide under the carpet. Ever notice the equation that the least known actress always wears the loudest look? We have, again and again, and that tradition will continue, with or without Tom Ford.

And what will Hollywood starlets do without Tom Ford to sex them up on the red carpet? “I guess I’ll just have to go naked,” said Christina Applegate, who hoped the new designers for YSL and Gucci would continue in the groovy Tom Ford tradition. “It’s going to be very depressing,” moaned Shiva Rose McDermott. “It’s because of Tom’s clothes I had to stay skinny – I had to make sure I fit into them. No we can all go to seed. But it will be interesting to see how he applies his imagination to film. I could even see him doing a ballet.”

What will Tom Ford do without that infamous carpet under his feet – and control? “Dressing stars for the red carpet hasn’t been my main impetus,” said Ford, demurely. “I’ll miss dressing real women most of all. I loved seeing them wearing my clothes walking down the street. And I’ll miss having that outlet, being inspired every day and having a place to put that inspiration. But I look forward to living in LA and working here and seeing where that takes me.” The L.A. Times reported yesterday that Ford finally did sign with his old friend, Bryan Lourd of CAA. He shoots the fall Gucci ad campaign in LA this week—what will his next move be?

For his final trick, Ford and his people showered the Rodeo crowd in a spray of rose petals, by now a signature Tom Ford ending. But it was the final finale: so many of Ford’s best looks all in one place, on so many stars, and everyone knew it would never happen again.
MERLE GINSBERG

Anyone see Mariah Carey here? :unsure:

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 1
thanks igni :wink:

i agree with whoever commented on the way heather grahm carries herself.....she is too weired. or insecure :unsure:

My two faves were Mischa Barton (with her cute boyfriend Brandon Davis..they seem to be inseperable lately!!) and Nicky Hilton. Dying her hair brown was the best thing she ever did!! I'm also loving Ashton in that pinkish suit!! :heart:

maybe they shouldn't have all worn tom ford for gucci and ysl...i mean jus because ur at a tom ford event...i think everyone felt they had to wear that...i mean some could pull it off, others...errr, ummm...anyways, looking aiight tonight.

kate beckinsale's dress wasn't that bad but her hair :yuk: but my favorite was Carine Roitfeld :heart: her dress!

Attachments

• Carine_Roitfeld_at_Tom_Ford_farewell.jpg
    Carine_Roitfeld_at_Tom_Ford_farewell.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 10
hey! i've got an idea!!

Why don't we all wear the same Gucci bamboo tipped satin shoes!!!! hahaha i just had to point that out that there are like 5 pairs of them. Guess they were popular huh?

everyone looks pretty good. I agree that maybe they shouldnt have all worn TF for YSL or Gucci, but wouldnt it have been kinda rude to show up in a Versace or somethign?

Originally posted by chanel_girl@Mar 30th, 2004 - 10:52 pm
kate beckinsale's dress wasn't that bad but her hair :yuk: but my favorite was Carine Roitfeld :heart: her dress!
I don't know who she is, but she looks busted...

Carien Roitfeld is the editor-in-chief- of French Vogue

Originally posted by Sugo@Mar 31st, 2004 - 9:30 am
Carien Roitfeld is the editor-in-chief- of French Vogue
should've gueesed that one :lol:

You know, Kate proves that not everyone looks good in Tom Ford, or at least not in the hair he came up with for the runway show.

Carine Roitfeld....... :ninja: She could at least manage to do something better with her makeup. The outfit wasn't that bad but her face..... :shock:

I think that the best dressed are Mischa Barton and Nicky Hilton (I agree! Dying her hair brown was the best change I've ever seen someone go through! Bravo to Nicky ! :wink: ).

Demi Moore managed to look quite great. Ashton Kutcher on the other hand looks funny :blink: !

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->