Celebs vs. Models on Magazine Covers

shajopri

Reaction score
I'm biased, I want only models on the cover of fashion magazines, they're prettier than celebs, more glamorous, and it's their place. Celebs can be on stuff like Elle and Glamour, but on Vogue I want Giselle! What are your opinions?

celebs on the covers of FASHION mags is getting out of control, but i understand why, the mags that are mostly doing this are mainstream - elle, us vogue, etc...need readers and celebs catch the eye i suppose- just not mine :lol: so i say nay :P bring on the models :wink:

:angry: <~* What tay looks like when she gets a mag in the mail, and theres a CELEB on the cover.

I'm biased too... :innocent: Do celebs get paid to do these covers?? Because, models do it for free!! We're cheaper, c'mon! :P

I prefer seeing models. They are more interesting to look at. Celebs are there in your face everyday.

I prefer models, ts fashion not the national enquirer, but soem celebs I dount mind so i guess im biasd

I prefer models over celebrities. :important:

But like Spacemiu, some celebrities don't bother me. B)

I think it depends on the celeb some celebs make a good cover like gwyneth,chloe sevigny,even demi moores cover wasnt bad but others like reese witherspoon,and salma hayeks brit vogue!No way

i prefer models too. keeps things fresh. the occasional cover celeb is okay, but not every magazine and every cover.

IMHO its part of a general dumbing down of some of the major fashion magazines. For a number of mags the emphasis is no longer on setting trends and are just following the 'celeb is everything' mantra in desperate pursuit of circulation.

Originally posted by FC5@Aug 12th, 2003 - 1:40 pm
IMHO its part of a general dumbing down of some of the major fashion magazines. For a number of mags the emphasis is no longer on setting trends and are just following the 'celeb is everything' mantra in desperate pursuit of circulation.
Very good thoughts. I agree. Hadn't thought of it that way before.

No longer are fashion mags only fashion.

It's likeMTV. Wheres the music! I remember when they only played music! :lol:

variety is cool, so sometimes it's OK to see a celeb on a cover. but now it's too much, many fashion mags became entertainment PR tools first & fashion
second... :unsure: and it's true, MTV is totally the same way!
i wish there was a new Alexander Brodovitch or Diana Vreeland :heart: in the industry

Originally posted by Serena@Aug 13th, 2003 - 1:42 am
...many fashion mags became entertainment PR tools...
The power exerted by celeb PR's over the media has caused concern for sometime - little things like insisting on copy and pic approval, wanting copyright of photos comissioned by magazines etc... little things :innocent:

It has always been a symbiotic relationship between the celebs and the press - however the celeb side are trying to gain the upper hand by taking of as much as possible control.

"Want an interview with XYZ? only if it gets the cover..." Unfortunatly the public have endorsed this - hence the trend for reality TV, Hello/OK type mags to such an extent that publishers can't ignore where the (public's) money is going. Blame the masses :(

Hopefully there will be a backlash soon :wink:

PS Hi HBoogie

IMO, as Italian Vogue has proven, Models (those with substance not the cheap close-to-actressdom status ones like Gisele or Kate Moss) make a magazine look more fresh and more sophisticated. That's why I'm dying to see a US Vogue with a model on the cover that looks kinda arty and why I'm loving Italian Vogue.

But, sometimes, I like a mix of both actresses and models. This is so because sometimes it gets boring and it's intresting to read on someone's life but only if it is timely and the actress has substance, talent and style such as, as mentioned, Gwyneth Paltrow or Demi Moore.

That's why I think the fashion issues (March and September) and some issues should contain the Models cause it's mostly about the fashion coverage of that season. Then on less fashion-covered months, October, December and January, intresting actresses can be on the covers.

But why only actresses and models? I think fashion magazines now should expand their covers, like, back on the days when Vogue couldn't use cameras? They used art. (That should give you some thought :wink: ) Like example look at the photo I posted below, that could be perfect for a cover these season because Mod is one of the main trends of fall. But contemporary artists could also do the art.

Okay that's my 2 cents. :o :wink:

I prefer models... if I like them :unsure: Celebs do not bother me in the least, if they look "nice" for a fashion cover.

And... aren't models celebs as well? :flower:

It's a toss-up for me. I know that if a celeb is on the front, it always catches my eye more...but there is this thing that models should have exclusive rights to magazine covers. :blink: I'm not sure...what's wrong with celebs being on the front? I don't think you have to be a super model to grace the front of a magazine anymore.

In the millennium of selling out, the way to get your magazine to fly of newsstands is to feature somebody red-hot on the front. Usually, actresses of the moment (hint: Reese, Kate, Naomi) can generate big sales...It's all in the name of Money.

Erin said:
It's a toss-up for me. I know that if a celeb is on the front, it always catches my eye more...but there is this thing that models should have exclusive rights to magazine covers. :blink: I'm not sure...what's wrong with celebs being on the front? I don't think you have to be a super model to grace the front of a magazine anymore.

In the millennium of selling out, the way to get your magazine to fly of newsstands is to feature somebody red-hot on the front. Usually, actresses of the moment (hint: Reese, Kate, Naomi) can generate big sales...It's all in the name of Money.

hmmm.... I dont know. I think models give the mag a more urbane, fashionable tone. I'd be more inclined to buy a fashion mag that actually focused on fashion, not celebs...*

To me it doesn't matter as long as the cover is attractive. I am more interested in the magazine content and usually buy certain magazines regardless of who is on the cover. A pretty face is a pretty face.

Since fashion magazines are about FASHION I think the focus should be on the clothes and not whether a model or actess is wearing them. I don't understand the model worship anymore than I do celebrity worship. Someone indicated the use of celebrities was "dumbing down" fashion but I don't think obsessing over models makes one more intellectual or highbrow than someone who obsesses over celebrities-- they are both superficial attractions IMO.

No fashion models belong on fashion magazines, thats why it is a fashion magazine. If you are going to put actors and actresses, singers etc. on the front cover of the magazines then you might as well put them on the catwalks as well. You dont see them putting models on the cover of the music artists new CD or on the cover of a starring actors movie, so actors should do the same and leave Vogue, Elle, GQ etc. alone

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pjmiddleton
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->