Chanel Pre-Fall 2020 by Melodie McDaniel

Using the Chanel staircase is cheap and looks like an act of desperation. I’d rather have them recreate that in an abstract manner if they wanna stick to that “concept”. The other problem of course are the clothes but oh well. They really need to get rid of Virginie. I don’t think playing safe in today’s world is something even Chanel can afford.

Oh that's Gigi?!

This looks truly awful. Not worthy of the Chanel logo at all.

+ St. John and Escada
Ahahah! I wonder what happened to the Escada revamp from 2 years ago lol.
There’s a sense of family and loyalty at Chanel. She would actually be great for Barrie (the brand of the factory they bought for the Edimburgh collection).

She wouldn’t be bad for St John tbh. Her work there would feel more modern than it is for Chanel.

This feels so un-Chanel.

Testino would kill a concept like this like 20 years ago.

OMG....I have no words to express my feeling except that this is as bad as Covid-19......Is Eric Pfrunder also responsible for this?? Please let corona takes the team with it and gone forever. Thanks

Worst Chanel campaign ever.

Chanel's S/S 2013 campaign by Karl Lagerfeld remains to be my least favorite Chanel campaign, even after seeing the outcome of this.

By no means does this feel luxurious, aspirational or deserving of applause but I've certainly encountered worse. Pre-Fall 2020 was perhaps my most favorite collection (so far) from Virginie Viard, so I definitely feel duped out of an accompanying campaign but I kinda like the youthful energy the girls are bringing to Chanel here.

Worst Chanel campaign ever.
FW 2012, FW 2013 and a lot of campaigns from 2012 to 2019 were terrible and even worse than this one. The good thing was that they were balanced by good collections... Tbh, only the resort and eyewear campaigns were good for Chanel these last few years.

Photographer: Melodie McDaniel
Hair: Sam McKnight
MUA: Lucia Pica

It’s too bad this one opportunity for Melodie to work with the most prestigious brand and this is the result. Maybe it's not entirely her fault and out of her control since she’s usually so much better than this brand of pedestrian, lazy group-selfie that’s plagued SM.

(Virginie's Chanel is quickly becoming what Dior is under Maria Grazia :shudders:...)

FW 2012, FW 2013 and a lot of campaigns from 2012 to 2019 were terrible and even worse than this one. The good thing was that they were balanced by good collections... Tbh, only the resort and eyewear campaigns were good for Chanel these last few years.

Lol, FW2012 was terrible, regarding both collection and campaign....FW2013 campaign was the cheapest, But I agree, the collection was filled with energy.

The thing for Karl was, even though he delivered some really bad works, they were confident and consistent to his vision, providing a faith to loyal customers.
Clearly, Virginie is either confident nor consistent to what she is doing now.

How can you go from Karim Sadli to Jean Batiste Mondino to Steven Meisel, with a small intermezzo by Inez & Vinoodh to Melodie McDaniel???

Where is the consistency???

^^^ Melodie’s fashion work from the 90s was very strong. She wasn’t a staple but when she did shoot a story, it was that brand of intimate, candid and spontaneous moments from inner city to small-town USA which captured the vibe and mood of a place so well: She was distinctively very American. There was always a strong personality in her shoots, and she had a voice to contribute to the fashion narrative of the time. At her best, she was like Gus Van Sant at his best. Ideally, her best fashion work added depth of intimacy alongside the brash ferocity of fashion giants like Mondino and Meisel. That’s diversity of creative vision and style. We were privileged to have this in the 90s and 2000s.

This here has absolutely nothing to say, nothing to inspire, nothing to aspire to other then pimp yourself to the max on SM and you’ll be able to afford a Chanel bag… This generic, shallow, rich socialite group selfie at the prom is so beneath Melodie’s talent.

I think that since Karl passed away Chanel is trying to find its new campaign identity (it's been going downhill for the last 3 to 4 years though so it was even before he died), hence the lack of consistency.
I see this campaign as a step in the right direction though, we were all over the boring grey backgrounds and boring model expressions. Spring Summer 2020 was the worst chanel campaign in about 10 years (or ever). This brings a little bit of excitement in me, it's fresh, playful, you can actually see the collection and it wants you to discover more. It's got a bit of Dolce and Gabanna campaign feel to it which I think could work for Chanel.
I liked Fall Winter 2019/20, because it went back to the basics of a strong Chanel campaign, how Karl brought back the brand to life in the 80s with Ines de la Fressange on a white background. Perhaps this is the way forward, what made us love Chanel campaigns in the 90s, a strong beautiful model, gorgeous setting, playfulness and a touch of glam!

I think even their “press kits” would make a better campaign than this with the right art direction. :mellow:

Disgusting photography aside, I cant believe how cheap the clothes look. If not for the staircase I would easily believe this is HM Christmas collection.

UK Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozilya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->