China Chow

^ No I meant the younger girl in the brown shoulderless, lace dress.

i've always enjoyed her look but really wish she'd smile with her teeth more (as seen below). she comes across as smug with that half grin thing she does. while i don't think she's drop dead gorgeous, she has that radiant glow from within beauty which she works with and highlights very well.

She looks lovely in #131 with that long flowing hair and geometric, simple metal necklace. not so much in #127; talk about awkward plus she resembles Victoria Beckham :rolleyes:

The Next Best-Dressed List
US VOGUE December 1996
Photographer: Mario Testino
Models:China Chow (full editorial/cast found here)
Sittings Editor(s:( Hamish Bowles & Camilla Nickerson
Hair: Phillipe Baligari
Make-up: Tom Pecheux

China beaming in Givenchy by John Galliano:

credit: Pipoca
source: bwgreyscale/ archive.org

one of my favorite looks of hers: China in Vivienne Westwood c. 2003:
111990638-china-chow-wearing-an-outfit-by-vivienne-filmmagic.jpg

source: filmmagic.com

Little Black Jacket Book 2012
Photographer: Karl Lagerfeld
Styling: Carine Roitfeld
Model: China Chow (full editorial/cast found here)

Part 2

credit: testinofan @ tfs
source:thelittheblackjaket.com

China Chow
By Peter Davis

349_head_china.jpg

"I have a brain in my head and I'm not going to let myself be judged by the way I look. I think it's actually very insulting." The trigger-happy paparazzi are swarming like fireflies around the entrance to Mr. Chow, the Beverly Hills restaurant celebrating its 30th anniversary tonight. A circus-size tent has been pitched in the parking lot behind the notoriously pricey, celebrity-stuffed Chinese eatery. An orchestra belts out big-band tunes as the host, Michael Chow, pinballs around the crowd, bear-hugging friends and fans. Chow's guest list reads like an apres-Oscars black-tie bash: Hollywood legends like Diane Ladd and Dennis Hopper schmooze with the new generation of movie stars -- Salma Hayek, Vincent Perez and Vivica A. Fox. Directors Oliver Stone and David Lynch press flesh with James Woods, Kelly Lynch, Rosanna Arquette and Natassja Kinski. TV talkmeister Larry King chats up k.d. lang and her rocker girlfriend, Leisha Hailey. Paul Reubens (aka Pee-wee Herman) shares a plate of lobster dumplings with pal Carol Kane. Mr. Chow's dinner dance is definitely cooking.

Perched in a center banquette is the princess of the party, Chow's 24-year-old daughter, China. The budding starlet, who's wearing a slinky black sequined Ghost dress, seems restless and somewhat bored at her pop's blowout bash. She concentrates more on wolfing down her dinner than on scanning the room for the next celebrity arrival. A video crew documenting the event approaches Chow and requests a message for her father.

"I love you, Dad!" Chow whispers sweetly to the camera in her girlish voice as her eyes dart around the crowd. "But next time, let me do the guest list, because everyone at this party is so old!"

One would think that growing up the daughter of Michael Chow and fashion model/muse Tina Chow (who died of AIDS in 1991) would have been a whirlwind of jet-setting and soirees at Mr. Chow's locales in London, New York and L.A. Was little China crawling under the tables while Andy Warhol, Jack Nicholson and Mick Jagger worked the swells at her dad's restaurants? "I wasn't there when all that was happening," Chow says flatly. "My parents didn't bring me around their scene at all. That was their thing at night with their friends. I never went to Studio 54. There were no parties, no fancy dinners in my life. My parents were very protective of Max [Chow's 21-year-old brother] and I." In fact, Chow says she never went through a teenage experimental-drug phase. "I've never tried coke or acid or ecstasy or anything," she says, pausing to add, "I was always too busy taking care of my mother when she was sick."

Born in London in 1974, Chow moved to Manhattan in 1980 and relocated to L.A. in 1985. She attended the academically grueling Lycee Francais and went to Boston University for two years before transferring to Scripps College in Claremont, California. A psychology major, Chow confesses that she "went through every single discipline, from communications to literature, before I decided." She graduated from Scripps last May and proudly announces that she is the first person in her family to earn a college degree.

source: papermag.com

China Chow cont

Her exotic looks are a combination of Chinese with a dash of English on her dad's side, and Japanese and German from her mother's family. Her beauty and cafe-society pedigree have won her photo shoots with big names like Mario Testino, Arthur Elgort, Sante D'Orazio and Richard Avedon, who snapped Chow for a Shiseido campaign (a job her mother and aunt, Bonny Lutz, also did). Chow says the modeling shoots were a good experience, but she refuses to schlep to any castings or cattle calls. "I just finished college," she reasons. "I have a brain in my head and I'm not going to let myself be judged by the way I look. I think it's actually very insulting."

For the last three years, Chow has been dubbed New York's latest It Girl, appearing regularly in social columns and posing for fashion glossies and on billboards for Tommy Hilfiger Jeans. When her cinematic debut, The Big Hit, hits the multiplex this month, Chow's celebrity status is bound to balloon. "People have been taking my picture and writing stories about me, but it didn't make sense because I didn't really do anything until just last year. But I went with it because it was fun or whatever," she admits. "But now it's O.K. because I'm promoting the movie instead of myself."

In The Big Hit, Chow plays Keiko Nishi, the strong-willed daughter of a Japanese electronics mogul who's snatched from her college by a hit man, played by Mark Wahlberg, posing as her chauffeur. The kidnapping gets hairy when it turns out that Keiko's father is actually bankrupt and that Wahlberg's mafioso boss is Keiko's adoring godfather. Amid the chaos, Keiko and her captor fall in love. Rumors swirled around the set that Wahlberg and Chow became an item while shooting the action/comedy in Toronto last summer. "No comment!" Chow snaps briskly even before she's asked the exact nature of her off-screen friendship with the buff tighty-whitey model turned serious actor. "I just don't want to talk about Mark at all."

Chow does agree to discuss her working relationship with Wahlberg, who appears in almost all of Keiko's scenes. "Mark helped me a lot, thank God," she says. "I saw Boogie Nights and I told him, 'I'm really glad I didn't see that movie before we worked together because I would have been completely intimidated!' During rehearsal I couldn't tell the difference between when Mark was talking to me and when he was reading lines. That's quite a talent, right?" Later, during dinner, Chow calls a mystery friend via cell phone, leaving this message: "Hi, honey. It's me. I'll page you when I'm done with my interview. I love you." The odds are those melodious words were for Wahlberg's ears.

"What's cool is that I'm not just reading roles that are 'the young Japanese girl' or 'young Asian girl.' It's just 'young girl.' That's a relief."

Making The Big Hit was "the most amazing experience" of Chow's life. "I did something I had never done, which is act," she says. "I went to a city I didn't know with a bunch of people I had never met for three months. Everything was completely foreign to me. Usually I'm such a wimp that I would never put myself in that situation, but I'm so glad I did."

If The Big Hit is a box-office knockout, Chow could be on her way to a promising career in an industry that's short on Asian-American actresses. Chow says she hasn't yet been pigeonholed as "the geisha girl who doesn't talk much or some karate-chopping chick or a hooker or a masseuse. What's cool," she points out, "is that I'm not just reading roles that are 'the young Japanese girl' or 'young Asian girl.' It's just 'young girl.' That's a relief because I didn't know what would happen." Admittedly frightened by the audition process, Chow has only gone on one audition since wrapping The Big Hit. "I'm not in any hurry," she says.

Chow points out that 1998 is the year of the tiger in the Chinese zodiac calendar. "It's my year, so I'm really happy. It's not going to be the year of the tiger again for 12 years, and I'll be 36 then, so I'd better use this wisely. Apparently when it's your year, it doesn't mean you're going to do extremely well, it just means it's a year for introspection. So you build your strength. Next year I'll really be kick-***!"

This story was published on Apr. 1, 1998
349_mg_cover_apr98-thumb-320x430-24878.jpg

source: papermag.com

US Vogue October 1983

Beauty's Legacy
Photo Arthur Elgort
Editor Phyllis Posnick
Models: Natasha Gregson Wagner, China Chow, Faye Wattleton, Felicia Gordon, Zoe Cassavetes & Ivanka Trump
Hair Thomas McKiver
Makeup Sonia Kashuk

My scans

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->