Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 2005 Paris

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by brian, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Missoni~Heiress

Missoni~Heiress Seductress in Eden

thanks :flower: im not so jealous after all... she moved to paris last month because she was signed... thank you for looking Mr-Dale

2. cerise

cerise New Member

I'm a bit turned off by Galliano's choice of muse for this collection...I mean, Empress Josephine was a great beauty and a style icon of her day, but she also helped reinstitute slavery on her native martinique during Napoleon's reign. In Martinique, they can't even keep the head on her statue because people keep lopping it off. And someone spray painted respe ba matinik (respect of martinique) on the base of it. Clearly no love lost from her fellow countrymen. But I guess Galliano never does play things safe, which is one of the things I love about his shows. This time just went a bit far for me. I would've much preferred if he said he was inspired by the time period rather than Josephine herself.

3. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

cerise..i didn't know any of that about martinique...thanks for the background...

4. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

Now that I have had time to look over the entire collection on Style, I have to say it pleases me a little more. The opening looks are great:

[​IMG]

But all of that red stuff is just so ugly it kills me... the accessories aren't really that amazing either.. It's all just not very spectacular. Very RTW.

5. Galliano guy

Galliano guy New Member

okay i've studdied this collection harder and...

WORST COLLECTION EVAR! (in my opinion :blush: )

i do kinda like the pregnant dresses though, they remind me of that painting the Arnolfieni marrage (probably spelt that wrong :blush: )

6. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

Maybe RTW might be good, no?

7. Galliano guy

Galliano guy New Member

i hope the rtw is good

8. Mr-Dale

Mr-Dale Unveil Yourself....

I just realised that this a just an aerobic-outfit with expensive croc-boots and other coroc-accesoiries :blink:
    But somehow I still love it B)

9. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

i think people have too ideal notions about the world of fashion. realistically, people are going to use other people's ideas and interpret them in their own ways not because thye're trying to steal but because in a real world a valentino couture client probably doesn't know who behnaz IS. i mean do you think that the same woman shops for dior couture and balenciaga? the shapes are similar of course, bc they both are adhering to trend, but i would not say that people on the balenciaga design team are completely oblivious to what's developing across town at dior. the fashion world's a little more incestuous than that.

10. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

I totally agree, I really loved a lot of the pieces in the first mod/Edie Sedgewick section and overall the look really appealed to me, which is strange since I'm not a fan of the mod look.

#210 Spike413, Jan 29, 2005
    Last edited by moderator Ava Madison: Jan 29, 2005
  11. pennyfei

pennyfei Member

Speaking of Dior couture, the entire show is likable, especially those bodysuits inpsired by Edie Sedgewick, what a fascinating girl she once was! Models looked great in them. Whoever casted the show did a fantastic job. (i think Galliano himself did the casting?)

Speaking of the issue on designers' borrowing ideas from each other, that's just no big deal since it is always an ambiguous thing in this industry. It is all about to which degree a collection is similar to the other but people never agree on such topics and trust me, desginers themselves hate to talk about this.

12. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

:rofl: :heart:

13. cerise

cerise New Member

Hilarious mr dale. it does look a bit like something out of flashdance. :D

14. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

Jan van Eyck's Arnolfini Wedding Portrait. :flower:

15. brian

brian New Member

you've finally realized this? :blink:

they're just leotards, indeed.

i still don't get what's so "haute couture" about them.
    the only feasable explanation i can think up is that they're meticulously made to the models' exact measurements (to the mm) from a non-stretch material instead of just being a stretchy spandex in one size, like a normal bodysuit.

that could be it... :innocent:

16. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

Napoleonic Empire motifs, with fin-de-siecle Poiret detailings on the bustle, Imperial Chinese headresses in tones of virginal white(no blood on the sheets), Tudor bodice silhouettes, snood hats, and Edie Sedgwick meets Candy Darling's funeral, and Peggy Moffitt Rudi Gernreich stripes.

Though the tangential Gernreich was earlier the influence should be Edie's since during a "budget crisis" all her clothing were black leotards, and striped shirts bought from the Boys department of Bloomingdale's.

Disparate theme but quite tame for Galliano.

Topped, and bottomed with crocodile skirts. A very slight tribute to Balenciaga, and Lacroix in the cutting of the skirt if you ask me. Or 60's Givenchy.

17. Mutterlein

Mutterlein Well-Known Member

At first I was excited by the collection. I am happy that it is more down to earth but I am sort of let down, I was hoping for more of a spectacle. I viewed the video and that didn't do much. Perhaps when they edit it and clean up the sound I will watch it again and it will be more inspiring. Some of the magic of Dior has been lost for me on this one.

18. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

That's what I was thinking, sort of how Gaultier did those catsuits in f/w 03 made to measure each inch.

19. brian

brian New Member

they should've thrown a little blood in... :innocent: would've definitely made a lot more people talk.

20. brian

brian New Member

yes! i loved those :heart: