Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 2005 Paris

LostInNJ said:
The inspiration may be French, because he is dressed as Napoleon...but I'm not sure!

hmm...it reminds me of costumes from two audrey hepburn movies...

'war and peace' and 'how to steal a million'(1966)costumes by givenchy...

:P

beautiful - I have always loved empire line dresses. all those elizabeth bennett outfits in P&P. really stunning. love the egg shaped skirts.

softgrey said:
hmm...it reminds me of costumes from two audrey hepburn movies...

'war and peace' and 'how to steal a million'(1966)costumes by givenchy...

:P

yep I agree well spotted. Both were great (fashion wise)

My French absolutely stinks. Here's an article from L'Express: http://www.lexpress.fr/info/infojour/infos.asp?id=050124165535.d8nqixcp&rub=une&1736

PARIS (AFP - 18:07) - Une nouvelle haute couture pour Dior et une couture efficace pour Giorgio Armani: les présentations des collections pour le printemps-été 2005 ont débuté lundi à Paris par un nouveau mot d'ordre, de l'exceptionnel oui, mais du portable aussi.

"C'est nouveau, c'est portable!", se réjouissait Sidney Toledano, PDG de Christian Dior Couture à l'issue d'un défilé nouvelle mouture concocté par John Galliano, le créateur vedette de la maison.

Changement de décor pour commencer une nouvelle ère. Le long podium surélevé a laissé la place à une salle décorée d'un bric à brac de canapés et fauteuils dépareillés placés devant des paravents recouverts de papier aluminium et des envolées de ballons gonflables argent.

Des télévisions empilées diffusaient des images d'archives d'une maison qui célèbre en 2005 le centenaire de la naissance de son fondateur tandis qu'en fond sonore, musiques rock et classiques jouaient l'alternance.

Qu'y a-t-il de nouveau chez Dior ? Du jour, inspiré des années 60, celles d'Andy Warhol et de sa muse Edie Sedwick. Laines sèches dans des tons acidulés ou cuir noir: le mini est obligatoire quand on ne porte pas de pantalon. Les volumes sont exagérés dans le dos avec des soufflets ou semblants de bénitier. Une veste ajustée projette ses basques en avant.

Les toiles de Rembrandt, de Zurbaran et de Cranach sont autant d'inspiration pour le cocktail et le soir livrés en deux versions très théâtrales mais aux volumes plus maîtrisés qu'à l'accoutumée: velours rouges dévorés ou damassés d'aspect suranné pour des manteaux et des robes de cours volumineux, légèreté des mousselines diaphanes pour des robes à taille Empire destinées à de fausses ingénues au ventre glonflé comme si elles étaient enceintes.

Unité de couleurs pour chaque moment: le rouge en hommage encore à Christian Dior pour qui il s'agissait de la couleur la plus flatteuse à la lumière des bougies et le blanc, réhaussé de cascades de cristal, pour le soir.

La réalisatrice américaine Sofia Coppola et l'ex-égérie des Rolling Stones Marianne Faithfull ont visiblement apprécié le défilé.

So we have 60s/mod inspiration for daywear and heavy-fabric Old Master look for evening?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks mr-dale! www.abacausa.com images are in!

305847.jpeg

305855.jpeg

305853.jpeg

helena said:
beautiful - I have always loved empire line dresses. all those elizabeth bennett outfits in P&P. really stunning. love the egg shaped skirts.

ditto... :flower:

Something English: (don't know how to use the quote tags..)

Dior 'Happening' Brings Underground Vibe to Couture

By Joelle Diderich

PARIS (Reuters) - [size=-1]British designer John Galliano injected some street cred into the rarefied world of haute couture on Monday, staging a 1960s-style "happening" to showcase his latest made-to-measure creations for Christian Dior. [/size]

[size=-1]

Guests including British singer Marianne Faithfull (news) and U.S. film director Sofia Coppola (news) lounged on battered leather couches amid clusters of helium-filled silver balloons on a set inspired by U.S. pop artist Andy Warhol's legendary Factory loft.

Galliano had to cut his guest list by half to accommodate his bohemian seating plan, which included space for a singer, five violinists and a rock band.

The set-up gave guests a rare chance to see up close the exquisite craftsmanship that is the hallmark of haute couture.

"I wanted them to hear the crunching of satin, experience all the details of the exquisite embroidery, feel the rustle of taffeta as it brushed over their feet," Galliano said in a statement.

"It was time to break with what was expected and show in a more open space, and indulge the true essence of couture."

Edie Sedgwick, the poor little rich girl who became Warhol's muse before dying of a drug overdose, was the inspiration for black bodysuits and mini shifts worn with knee-length crocodile leather boots for a lithe silhouette.

The clean-cut outfits quickly gave way to baroque tumbles of crimson velvet and ivory organza, as Galliano drew an unexpected link between the American heiress who ruled over downtown Manhattan and Napoleon's wife, Empress Josephine.

Confused? The designer had an explanation, of sorts.

"Bob Dylan (news) once said 'Andy Warhol is Napoleon in rags', and with that quote the journey began," he said.

As the band launched into a raucous version of Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone," models paraded in diaphanous Empire-line dresses hand-embroidered with delicate flowers.

These were the essence of couture and the reason why clients like San Francisco socialite Dodie Rosekrans are willing to part with five-figure sums for a one-off Dior creation.

Strip the dresses of their oversize bustles, and they could very well turn into wedding gowns, like the one Slovenian model Melania Knauss wore for her wedding to U.S. property magnate Donald Trump last weekend.

Hers boasted 300 feet of white satin and a 13-foot train. Christian Dior Couture, whose sales rose by 14 percent in 2004, is banking that there are enough women like Knauss to keep its workshops buzzing.

[/size]

I don't understand what the croc bubble skirt has to do with the period costumes and the lilac Jackie-O coat. It's all very nice though.

metal-on-metal said:
I don't understand what the croc bubble skirt has to do with the period costumes and the lilac Jackie-O coat. It's all very nice though.

hear hear!

it's amazingly great considering Galliano's last collection :innocent:

I knew he would please us again! Beautiful pieces, and the whole concept seems to be a bit different for Dior which is good, a change is needed.

softgrey said:
he's a little late...all the celeb mom's have already given birth... :innocent: maybe hanne will find something to wear... :wink: :P
:rofl: hmmm..I think I'll pass..

:o beautiful. I like it more than his latest collections, I'm just wondering if there's a reason why he's doing more commercial stuff now?:ermm:

Mr-Dale said:
[size=-1]

Galliano had to cut his guest list by half to accommodate his bohemian seating plan, which included space for a singer, five violinists and a rock band.
[/size]

I can't wait to see the video! :woot:

Don't love it, myself. Despite it being better than expected.

John Galliano has proven that in this modern world of fashion, couture has it's place cemented firmly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->