Christian Wijnants Wins Woolmark Award

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Woolmark Winner
ELLA ALEXANDER 12 July 2012 0 comments
CHRISTIAN WIJNANTS is the winner of the International Woolmark European Prize, it was announced at a ceremony this afternoon. The Antwerp-based designer was chosen by an impressive panel including British Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman, German Vogue editor Christiane Arp, designer Giles Deacon and Lanvin creative director Alber Elbaz - who said his judging role made him "feel like Heidi Klum".

Wijnants will take home $50,000 (£32,000), having beat off competition from British names JW Anderson and James Long. He will now go through to the finals of the contest, battling against international designers such as Sophie Theallet - who was announced as the US winner earlier this week. The final winner will be named in February 2013.

The Belgian-born designer is no stranger to receiving prizes - in 2005 he won the Swiss Textiles Prize and in 2006 won the coveted ANDAM award. He worked for Dries Van Noten before launching his label in 2003.

The International Woolmark Prize celebrates emerging designers for their use of merino wool and is responsible for kick-starting the careers of Karl Lagerfeld and Yves Saint Laurent.

vogue.co.uk

a well deserved choice :heart:

This is so interesting, I fell into a Google hole last week, trying to discover what happened to him, what was going on. I thought he was simply staying well under the radar but perhaps some recognition and cash injections like Woolmark will put him back up where he belongs. His work continues to tug at my heart strings though I can't quite articulate why ...

yeah christian is still very much active just hasn't been producing shows of late.....mostly showroom.

but i get this very much because christian has quite the knack for his overall sense texture but also his technique with knitwear and the way he incorporates interesting patterns.

this is actually the piece he presented during the ceremony-

DSC_5901-e1342174790503.jpg

*wonderlandmagazine.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YourGalSylvia
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"