Christopher John Rogers for Target

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Christopher John Rogers founded his eponymous label in 2016 and designs clothing with a focus on artful dressing. He was named the 2019 Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA)/Vogue Fashion Fund winner and the 2020 CFDA American Emerging Designer of the Year, with numerous stars and notable figures having worn his designs. Christopher John Rogers for Target dresses feature statement-making styles and bold, bright patterns that celebrate self-expression.

“Growing up as an artistic kid in the Deep South, I've always aspired to create designs that help the wearer feel their most self-expressive. This partnership is a dream come true – I've always admired the Target designer collaborations in the past, and I'm excited to be a part of that legacy. I’ve had a blast working with the Target team and I hope this collection of quality, declarative dresses helps Target guests across the country feel their most authentic,” says Christopher John Rogers. (press release and images from corporate.target.com)

TargetxDesignerDressCollection_ChristopherJohnRogers_1.jpg TargetxDesignerDressCollection_ChristopherJohnRogers_2.jpg TargetxDesignerDressCollection_ChristopherJohnRogers_3.jpg

The prints in here seriously look like the vinyl tablecloths you'd find in the trashiest corners of East LA...

I can't see the average Target consumer gravitating to the colors/prints.

The prints in here seriously look like the vinyl tablecloths you'd find in the trashiest corners of East LA...

The green clashing print piece is reminiscent of Look 7 from an earlier Spring 2020 collection.
(image credit: vogue)

Many of his pieces are monochromatically coordinated. His fall 2020 runway collection was inspired by rubbish bags. He also uses a lot of dead stock fabric in every collection i think. This may contribute to the "junk" appearance.

So will people buy these prints? I'm not sure. Maybe to stand out on instagram. Personally, i stay away from puce.

He seems like a very nice man and I hope to support his business. Hopefully these other pieces will be flattering.

Here's what may hurt him and sales of the target collection - Rixo London is also known for clashing prints and their collection with Target may be issued at the same exact time as his. Target's press release states that the three collections (Rixo London, Alexis and Christopher John Rogers) are to be released in the "Spring".

Last year Target released the Cushnie, Loveshackfancy and Lisa Marie Fernandez collection on the same day. Loveshackfancy sold out almost immediately. Their fans are rabid. And many shoppers may have purchased more from the others collections if they could space out their fashion purchases.

However, all signs are pointing to an economic boom so maybe consumers will spend on fashion at Target without being "rabid" fans.

005_8.jpg

I don’t hate the looks, but does the Target shopper know who the designer is?

The collection went on sale today online and in stores.

The plaid green smocked dress pictured above immediately sold out in the early hours - it appeared to be the most popular item.

I purchased the cotton rainbow print dress here online
(image from target)

rainbow.jpg

and here's a composite image of almost the entire collection from stylecharade:

Target-Christopher-John-Rogers-Collection.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liffffff
Back