CFDA Designers for Target + Neiman Marcus (Marc Jacobs, Rodarte, Rag & Bone, Etc.)

i ended purchasing from the target website the altuzarra set of glasses, shaker, and tray for my husband. i figure he could use it when he entertains his (manly) guests. lol

and i bought myself the philip crangi frame & the rodarte moon wrapping paper. :heart:

that's exactly what i would have bought!:blush: i'm waiting for potential sales. i bought a lot of the margiela for H&M items on clearance - so i should wait.

Allegedly someone said what doesn't get sold will get destroyed ... I'm not sure if this is true. They do say returns need to be in by January 5. :shock:

Allegedly someone said what doesn't get sold will get destroyed ... I'm not sure if this is true. They do say returns need to be in by January 5. :shock:

Target has never destroyed items in the past. their designer items get sent to goodwill. a lot of their missoni stuff winded up there.

i think you are thinking of H&M. they destroy garments. :flower:

The Altuzarra glass set was the cheapest thing from the entire collection, very poorly done with a weird seam up the back. However, the tray is stunning and worth it's price. AVOID all the faux fur and the Gurung bag--complete junk, as are the super over priced ornaments. Very ugly. The MJ stuff was nice, as was the Lela Rose pieces and almost all the home goods. The rag and bone sweater is terrible, looks like something g*pa would wear. The Eddie Borgo container was very cool, so I got that. I also got the Thom Browne blazer, which I like. It's nice that it's 100% wool, but it is very thin. Perhaps done so it can be worn all year. The trim on the jacket I purchased was perfect and is a true white, you can see no blue through it. Nice buttons and details. Great seams. Covered in lint, which has since been removed and steamed. Sleeves are a little short, but it is TB after all. Overall a great blazer. Def. fun for the upcoming Holidays and of a nice quality. Just don't wear it with a cheap shirt. I'm wearing mine with a Thom Browne check shirt I got this season @ Barneys. Oh, the Oscar de la Renta bag and Brian Atwood gloves were hands down the best women's accessory. The bag was really, really good quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to get the ODR bag as a gift, and I thought it was way overpriced for what you get. While a nice tote overall, the online pic makes it look like the floral print was embroidered or embossed, so the $65 once tax is included you're forking over would at least be worthwhile. But in person, it's just a canvas bag with floral print on it and even on the shelf it's already showing scuffs and dirt, so the fabric's not even treated.

The Altuzarra wooden tray was about the only thing I even wanted to spend $ on, it's way bigger than the online pic would lead you to believe, and it's decently made.

I forgot about this collection and happened to stroll into a Target for other stuff and ended up perusing the items. Overall I wasn't impressed and left empty-handed. The highlights were the floral Lela Rose dress and the Thom Browne blazer but I couldn't see myself paying $129.00 for a Target Blazer regardless of who designed it. I also liked the Proenza sweatshirt but decided to take my chances on clearance.

All of the items were really random and not that attractive --the ornaments, glasses and flasks seem pointless and overpriced. The various wallets and purses looked cheap and were unattractive. The only household item I'd consider are the Tracey Reese plates.

I think they would have been better off having each designer contribute something useful like specialized iphone cases or something.

The wall street journal said the collection isnt selling quickly.

The unusual designer fashion collaboration between Target Corp. TGT -0.44% and Neiman Marcus Group Inc. began with a whimper this past weekend, according to analysts, far from the bang the companies were counting on to improve holiday sales.
The discounter and luxury-goods stalwart both defended the much-hyped plan to jointly sell a 50-piece collection of clothing and household accessories, such as a leather-flower embellished pink dog collar leash designed by Oscar de la Renta for $39.99. The collection, created by 24 high-end designers, was intended to pump up visitor traffic at both store chains in the weeks between Black Friday and Christmas.
But Wall Street analysts and customers alike expressed surprise that crowds weren't bigger and sales not stronger at many locations, despite a spate of high-profile advertising, including prime-time television commercials.

The tie-up clearly fell short of the buying frenzy that Target saw last year when it offered a limited collection by high-end Italian design house Missoni that sold out in most stores within minutes and drew so much traffic online it crashed Target's website.
Citibank retail analyst Deborah Weinswig, in a research note titled, "Don't Believe the Hype: Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection Disappoints," took issue with Target for placing the collection in the back of the store. Shelves were full and messy and generating too little visitor traffic, an observation that echoed nationally, she said.
Target said it was unfair to compare the record-setting Missoni sales to the current design collection. It said the Neiman Marcus partnership was conceived as a holiday gift collection designed to last longer, so it was more deeply stocked.
Customers also were only allowed to buy five of a single item, compared to unlimited amounts of Missoni last year, to prevent people from buying up items and reselling them online.
"The largest misconception is that this was intended to be a one-day shopping event," said Joshua Thomas, a Target spokesman.

Both Target and Neiman Marcus said they did brisk business online. Judith Leiber crystal compact mirrors that sold for $59.99 were best sellers on both websites. Neiman Marcus had also sold out of a Diane Von Furstenberg yoga mat, a Tory Burch lunchbox and Rodarte ornaments.
Neiman Marcus declined to discuss sales in detail but said it was generally pleased so far. Still, stores appeared to gear up for more customers than the number that showed up at the 8 a.m. Saturday opening.

In one North Dallas store, staff handed out wrist bands in anticipation of only allowing 50 shoppers in at one time, but the crowd barely reached that number.
"For our brand, it has been a good partnership," said Neiman Marcus spokeswoman Ginger Reeder. "It has gotten high visibility among consumer groups that haven't thought of Neiman Marcus as a place to go for high quality affordable gifts."
Katie Hall, a 25-year-old intern at a Dallas theater, expected a much bigger crowd for the collection at the Target store she visited Saturday in McKinney, Texas. She snapped up a Proenza Schouler sweatshirt for $30 and was surprised that the limited amount of women's clothing available mostly sold for $100.
"I was upset there wasn't more affordable clothing," she said.
J.P. Morgan retail analyst Christopher Horvers said he thought the collection prompted Target customers to shop in other parts of the store, which was one of the program's intentions. But he still said sales were less than expected.
"A [Target] employee commented that they expected the collection to sell out by the end of the weekend, but based on our early reads that felt unlikely," Mr. Horvers said. ann zimmerman/wsj.com

^ thanks for posting this!

that's exactly what i would have bought!:blush: i'm waiting for potential sales. i bought a lot of the margiela for H&M items on clearance - so i should wait.

:blush: i bought some sale MMM items too (too hard to pass up). i hope the target x NM items will go on sale as well. i saw the ornaments in person yesterday. they are heavy (glass) and look very well made. i can see why they priced it at $50. the derek lam slippers, which i didn't care for when i saw photos, were actually quite cute in person. hope those will make it on sale as well.

what i couldn't wait for sale, and again, when i saw it in person it was much cuter, was the proenza schouler sweatshirt. my husband, who "agreed" on the purchase, said that i found my new favorite top. he knew this before i did. B) it is SUPER COMFY!!

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting that the article said the collection was placed in the back of the store. i stopped by my location over the weekend and our section is actually in the front of the store but in the front part of the men's department. i didn't really get that since much of the merchandise was for women and it's where most of the foot traffic resides.

needless to say i had a gander at some of it but i wasn't taken with anything for the men. that rag & bone cardi could have been better. and i only liked a couple items specific for the women. that PS sweatshirt was nice but nothing i haven't honestly seen everywhere...i mean you see one sweatshirt with a print these days you've seen them all. the only thing that really piqued my interest was the rodarte ornament and wrapping paper but was sold out. the marc jacobs scarf i didn't dislike but not enough to warrant $70 right now.

everything at my store was 70% off. unfortunately, the pieces that i wanted were sold out ie. the rodarte wrapping paper & ornament, brian atwood gloves and the altuzarra tray.

the thom browne blazer was nice, but i think the wool will pill.

everything else didnt appeal to me in person.

Everything at my Target is 70% off as well, and the shelves are still loaded. I expect it'll be discounted even further. I bought the scarf; it's quite soft and nice.

So the ODLR tote is now 17.99 instead of the 59.99, which is reasonable for what it is. I re-purchased it.

everything is 70% off at Neiman's. I got the Altuzarra shaker and glasses for $30 so I'm not complaining about it not selling because it's been good for me! lol.

so now that everything is 70%, i picked up 2 sets of the TR plates (love those), a TB thermo, the cookie cutters (didn't originally want them, but kept seeing them everywhere so i just had to have them haha), the PS sweater, and the MJ scarf. would have never paid for any of them full priced, but at 70%, i had to! i really wanted the altuzarra tray, but have had no luck finding them in stores and i also want the TB lunchbox to match the thermo but can't find those either...has anyone picked up anything since the sale started?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nelliewillshowuhowitsdone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->