Claire Danes

Claire Danes in NYC, June 12, 2018
4D2DD09000000578-5838771-image-a-17_1528884419126.jpg

dailymail.co.uk​

Actress Claire Danes attends the New York premiere of "Mary Queen Of Scots" at Paris Theater on December 4, 2018 in New York City.

02p0GH5.jpg

jQDEjKY.jpg

AGuJ3yl.jpg

Claire Danes attends the 2018 Glamour Women Of The Year Awards: Women Rise on November 12, 2018 in New York City.

bw2owF6.jpg

usuqLsV.jpg

Claire Danes attends the 20th Anniversary Gala to Celebrate Hudson River Park at Pier 60 on October 11, 2018 in New York City.

KigerSD.jpg

yncbEJ0.jpg

zimbio.com

Porter by Net-A-Porter
February 3, 2020

Woman Of Action
Model Claire Danes
Photographer Yelena Yemchuk
Styling Lilli Millhiser

From a turmoil-driven teen to a messy, supremely flawed CIA agent, CLAIRE DANES has built a career portraying the complex behaviors and intense emotions of a raft of women. Now, as the final series of Homeland hits our screens, the award-winning actor talks to JANE MULKERRINS about connection, crafting and life after Carrie…

The day before we meet for lunch, Claire Danes was in a barre class when a middle-aged woman she didn’t know confessed her abiding love for My So-Called Life, the short-lived but seminal drama in which Danes starred as the angsty teenager Angela Chase. “There was a lot of magic in that show,” smiles Danes, fondly. “It was hard for me to know that at the time – it was my first big job.” The role won the actor her first Golden Globe, at the age of 14.

It’s a blustery afternoon in Manhattan’s West Village, where Danes, now 40, lives with her husband, the English actor Hugh Dancy, and their sons Cyrus, seven, and Rowan, 17 months. She may still be readily recognized for characters she played for less than a year more than two decades ago, but Danes does an excellent job of keeping things low key, arriving bundled up in a puffa coat and beanie hat, over jeans and a chunky sweater.

Do people, I wonder, as she divests herself of the winter gear, still associate her with Angela more closely than they do Carrie Mathison, Homeland’s gifted, messy CIA savant, whom she has played for more than eight years (and who has brought her two further Golden Globes and two Emmys)? “It’s pretty neck-and-neck now, to be honest,” muses Danes. In the same barre class, she says, another attendee rounded things out by saying how much she adored Homeland.

But now, Danes is hanging up Carrie’s trademark cross-body bag and risking her life to foil terrorist plots for the final time – this forthcoming season of Homeland, its eighth, will be the last. “I’ll miss playing such a brilliant, intrepid, impulsive, flawed hero,” she says. “She’s a pain in the *** but she is always right in the end. She tends to prevail in her own perverse way.”

The magnitude of having played the gutsy character for so long is not lost on the actor. “When I started Homeland, I was barely married, and now, we just had our ten-year anniversary and we have a seven-year-old and a toddler – WTF?” she says, shaking her head as she studies the menu. “And we’ve been such citizens of the world. Both our sons learnt to crawl in Morocco [where much of Homeland has been filmed], and I have some amusing breast-pumping photos in Moroccan green rooms.”

That she also relishes her off-screen experience of motherhood is patently obvious. “It’s reorienting, but I love it and I’ve always wanted this. So it was really interesting playing someone who didn’t love it and didn’t want it,” she says of Carrie, who voluntarily signed over custody of her daughter in season four. “I was really glad to explore that, because I think it’s still a very stubborn taboo. Women are allowed a lot these days, relative to what they have been, but they’re still not quite allowed to not want to be mothers.”

Indeed, Carrie was a complicated female lead long before other TV shows caught on to the fact that audiences craved such a thing. “She did heinous things, over and over again – we tested the audience’s sympathy all the time.” But she was also unwaveringly fearless and capable. “To pretend to be that was pretty intoxicating,” says the actor. “It’s so fun to have that swagger.”

Danes grew up close to where we’re lunching today, on Crosby Street in SoHo, before the neighborhood became, as she puts it, “a shopping mall”. Her father, Christopher, is a photographer, and her mother, Carla, a sculptor, who also ran a daycare service for toddlers in their loft apartment. In their downtown artists’ community, children’s creativity “was not just allowed, it was encouraged, and really valued”. The previous day, she saw her old friend, designer Zac Posen, who grew up in the area, too. “Him, Lena Dunham, Gaby Hoffmann [both also friends], me – it’s not exactly a coincidence that we all ended up doing creative work.”

At five years old, the precocious Danes decided she wanted to act, later taking classes at the Lee Strasberg Institute. At 12, she signed with an agent, and had only made a guest appearance as a teenage murderer on Law & Order when, aged 13, she was cast in My So-Called Life. Soon afterwards, Danes made her film debut alongside Winona Ryder in Little Women before starring opposite Leonardo DiCaprio, in Baz Luhrmann’s iconic Romeo + Juliet, when she was 16.

“It was so exciting to be a part of – I loved it,” she recalls. “It was also really hard. We were filming in Mexico City, so it was a little raw. And the story kind of bled into life off-set, as it often does. There was a gang of dudes, young men – Romeo’s posse. It was an intense energy…” Danes and DiCaprio clashed on set, with her recently admitting they had very different styles of working. Today, she trails off, digs into the plate of scallops that’s just arrived, and deflects my attempts to draw further details about the “intense energy”.

Missing out on the standard high-school experience while her career went stellar didn’t bother Danes at all. Junior high had been “an isolated period of hell. I was just not very good at the social politics”. However, having made 13 films in five years, at 18 she decided she needed a break and enrolled at Yale to study psychology. “It was really good for me to go to college, because I was a bit frightened of women,” she confesses. “On film sets, I was always surrounded by adults, so the last time I’d spent any real time with other girls was in junior high, so they froze in my mind as these intimidating, cruel creatures. Then I went to college and discovered, ‘Oh, people grow out of that.’”

In previous encounters, I’ve found Danes incredibly smart and witty but somewhat reserved. Today, she is unexpectedly open, chatting happily about Hugh and the boys, and telling hilarious domestic anecdotes involving her aging dog and cat. Has turning 40 last year – with a big party while filming Homeland in Morocco – mellowed her? “I always felt the age I am now, so it’s nice to catch up with my actual age,” she says. “It feels appropriate.”

“I was weird,” she shares, candidly, of her younger self. “I’m not being cute – I was properly odd. I didn’t know how to hang out; I had to be applying myself all the time.” She shrugs. “I have never skipped a class in my life, my socks are always pulled way up to my knees. I’m supremely nerdy; I was never cool.”

Surely, I suggest, Dancy must have thought her a bit cool when they met on the set of the movie Evening in 2007? “Well, Hugh’s a big nerd, too,” Danes says. “When we first started sorta-kinda-dating for real (ish), I had an ornament-making party for Christmas, and he helped organize it. Then he made an ornament of cowboy paper dolls, and I thought, ‘and he crafts?’ That was it,” she says. “You have me for the rest of our lives.”

Those crafting chops have been put to abundant use since they became parents. Danes whips out her phone to show me the family’s most recent, hugely impressive homemade Halloween outfits; Dancy was a funny bone. “He papier-mâchéd his own hat – I’m very proud of my husband,” she grins.

For several years of their marriage, while Dancy was starring in the series Hannibal, he would be based in Toronto, while she filmed Homeland in Charlotte, North Carolina. “That was tough,” she nods. “That distance is corrosive, and I’m just bad at it. And I don’t particularly want to get good at it. We learned along the way how essential it is for us to be physically together as often as possible.”

In a happy twist of domestic scheduling, Dancy also has a role in this final season of Homeland, playing a foreign-office advisor to the President. “That was such a nice way to end the show,” Danes enthuses. “I didn’t have a single scene with him, but on my days off, I would go to his set. He’s very good.” She laughs. “I don’t exactly forget that, but we don’t talk about acting much, so it was a really nice reminder.” Watching your partner do something they are really good at, she concludes, “is so hot”.

With Carrie’s final mission complete, Danes is only now beginning to think about life beyond the series. She’s keen to produce, having done that on the show, and has been inspired by Lesli Linka Glatter, the director of Homeland since season three, who, says Danes, is “a real feminist, with an activist spirit”, inviting younger female directors to shadow her on set.

It’s interesting, Danes notes, “how we internalize things”. When she played Temple Grandin, an animal-behavior expert with autism, she discovered there were a disproportionate number of women on the autism spectrum with very high-ranking jobs. “It’s because they don’t get the relatively subtle social cues that they should temper their ambition.”

After playing Grandin in 2011, and winning yet another Emmy and Golden Globe for her portrayal, she had two years away from acting. Every role she was offered felt too lightweight until Homeland came along. Now, she’s looking for some human connection. “I would like to play somebody who’s a little less of a superhero: somebody in a relationship, someone in a marriage.” She smiles again. “Carrie was so isolated, we used to joke that her cross-body bag was her best and only friend. It would be nice to play a regular old person now, more of an actual human.”

Season eight of Homeland will air on February 9 on Showtime (US) and later in the year on Channel 4 (UK)
net-a-porter

Emmy and Golden Globe award-winning actress Claire Danes speaks at the "Homeland" Season 8 Screening & Conversation at Washington Post Live Center on February 07, 2020 in Washington, DC.

5JNrOma.jpg

Claire Danes attends the "Homeland" Season 8 Premiere at Museum of Modern Art on February 04, 2020 in New York City.

fBnE9Qp.jpg

wXFKrsL.jpg

Actress Claire Danes is seen outside the CBS Morning Show on February 3, 2020 in New York City.

lUGmpoA.jpg

eonline.com, hawtcelebs.com, wireimage.com

cSdFHAu.jpg

kZEkDe2.jpg

2R3RnXo.jpg

YWBgYTZ.jpg

Yp5ok6d.jpg

l5FThpw.jpg

TSJu7bG.jpg

Txe2EpZ.jpg

QDQvQsz.jpg

In New York on March 10, 2020.

JiuY7KY.jpg

Claire Danes attends "Girl From The North Country" Broadway opening night at Belasco Theatre on March 05, 2020 in New York City.

890p8f8.jpg

Claire Danes and Hugh Dancy attends the Roundabout Theater's 2020 Gala at The Ziegfeld Ballroom on March 02, 2020 in New York City.

19T4Ovm.jpg

In New York on March 2nd, 2020.

h4kDiER.jpg

'Homeland' press conference in on 14th March, 2020 in Los Angeles.

6uiVY3P.jpg

hawtcelebs.com​

In New York on July 1st, 2020.

1woQ2PK.jpg

bellazon.com

A lot of captivating photoshoots in the recent posts. The final shot from Town & Country is especially gorgeous. :flower:

Claire Danes in NYC, 10/8/20
34161512-0-image-m-46_1602181468293.jpg

dailymail.co.uk

CLAIRE DANES Out Shopping in New York 10/08/2020
claire-danes-out-shopping-in-new-york-10-08-2020-1.jpg
claire-danes-out-shopping-in-new-york-10-08-2020-4.jpg

hawtcelebs​

Claire Danes in NYC, 10/14/20
34407482-0-image-a-38_1602719802384.jpg

dailymail.co.uk

CLAIRE DANES Out Shopping in New York 10/08/2020
claire-danes-out-shopping-in-new-york-10-08-2020-1.jpg
hawtcelebs​

Never understood why people put these slip-ons with jeans.

The closest i'd wear them with is MAYBE a three quarter but they're really made for shorts or a long skirt.

Sorry, Claire.

Never understood why people put these slip-ons with jeans.

The closest i'd wear them with is MAYBE a three quarter but they're really made for shorts or a long skirt.

Sorry, Claire.
The ripped (frayed?) seams too.... eh. But It looks like she's working. Are they lugging scrapes for an art project into her studio?

The ripped (frayed?) seams too.... eh. But It looks like she's working. Are they lugging scrapes for an art project into her studio?

If i'm lifting heavy boxes into a studio, the last thing i'd want to wear are slip-ons.
Can you imagine how it would feel going up the stairs?
They are nice shoes but just not with that outfit.

Claire looks busy but just not dressed right for it with those shoes lol.

Let's talk the most important part - the shoes.

front.jpg

back.jpg

She's kept them very well and they don't appear to have been resoled. It's possible that they are new.

The nail heads you can see on the sides gives it a nice homemade feel.

They're great for boosting height. I'd pair these with a long linen dress to add to the illusion of height while giving that added homely feel.

Jeans, especially these ones, are just wrong for the shoes as I think it actually cheapens them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->