Classical Music

twilight fairy

Reaction score
I have been digging out Tchaikovsky and Bach and I've realised how much I appreciate classical music (which was somewhat surprising for me to discover). :heart:

I'm sure there are other fans here on tFS..:flower:

So what is your favourite era music-wise? Romantic? Classical? Who are your favourite composers? Favourite ballets/operas?

Another question, out of curiosity; why is it that in a number of films (A Clockwork Orange, Silence of the Lambs, Elephant..) the evil/insane/inhumane/murderer 'hero' is a fan of classical music? :lol: :shock:
Is it supposed to convey a message which says that it doesn't matter whether you're intelligent, smart, have a fine taste in the arts..you're still a potential murderer? Or is it something else?

I've always found classical music to be a favorite among intelects, but I realize that many, many people have the capacity to appreciate it... I have yet to open up to it, though. :blush:

Are there any recommendations for near first-time listeners?

Erin said:
I've always found classical music to be a favorite among intelects, but I realize that many, many people have the capacity to appreciate it... I have yet to open up to it, though. :blush:

There's Claude Debussy's Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune if you're into Impressionists.
It's my favorite...

There's also Hector Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique if you're into Romantics.
It's about hopeless love. The story behind its creation is kinda funny (and sad)...

:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like classical music too!! I find it soothing and supposedly, researchers have found that it helps you study better, that's a good thing!! I love the sound of grand pianos, violins and cellos..... i think it's beautiful!!

I love the really, really old stuff like Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Chopin... One of my absolute favourites is Nocturne by Chopin.

I also quite like Shostakovich, his work is pretty interesting.

^I love Shostakovich and Scriabin...playing them is a nightmare but once you master that complexity...it's just so beautiful. Rachmaninov and Stravinsky are great too..... a Russian fixation me thinks.

Chopin, and Beethoven is great too of course. I love the Berceuse by Chopin.

That's so cool susie bubble!! What instrument do you play??

I play the piano. I just recently did my diploma actually. So been quite immersed into it.

That's awesome!! i wish I could play the piano..... properly :blush:. I'd go crazy on it!!

Erin said:

Mozart, the Magic flute. Mozart is almost like the bubblegum pop of classical music. I love it! :lol:

Sorry not to be more specific, maverick!! I love them all really, they all sound so beautiful!! I quite like E minor Op 72. No 1.

I'm glad I'm not alone here,..but I don't think classical music is only for highly intellectuals, etc. I just think it's soothing and refreshing and relaxing.
But of course I need to be in a particular mood to listen to classical music. It's not something I can listen to any time of the day..anybody feel the same?

Does anybody like Prokofiev? Especially Cinderella..well there's also Romeo&Juliet which is quite lovely..
I favour the Russian composers greatly, as you can see..:P

Last edited by a moderator:
maverick said:
:o

I never thought of you as a Tchaikovsky fan twilight fairy.

Aww :P, well I've loved the Nutrcracker ballet ever since I was a small child; the music always managed to captivate me. Still a favourite today for sure. :heart:

twilight fairy said:
I'm glad I'm not alone here,..but I don't think classical music is only for highly intellectuals, etc. I just think it's soothing and refreshing and relaxing.
But of course I need to be in a particular mood to listen to classical music. It's not something I can listen to any time of the day..anybody feel the same?

Does anybody like Prokofiev? Especially Cinderella..well there's also Romeo&Juliet which is quite lovely..
I favour the Russian composers greatly, as you can see..:P
I definitely agree with what you're saying :smile: You need to be in a certain mood to listen to classical music. I really enjoy classical music because it really sets an atmosphere, it almost feels like a story. I often visualize scenes for the music... idk.

And I love Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet :smile: And Tchaikovsky.... I am definitely a fan of the Nutcracker ballet, being an amateur ballerina myself ^_^

I just "discovered" classical and I'm addicted!!! I rock it while studying, sleeping and eating....hehehe

Beethoven's 9th - Molto Vivace in particular, so bombastic and dramatic...

For first time listeners i would HIGHLY recommend Thomas Newman..his music is amazing and he doesnt use conventional instruments..its really spectacular

yogini108 said:
For first time listeners i would HIGHLY recommend Thomas Newman..his music is amazing and he doesnt use conventional instruments..its really spectacular

His name rings a bell. Is he famous for doing anything special... like working on the music for a movie or a show?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->