Clements Ribeiro : Going bust

helena

Swim Upstream
Reaction score
Friday August 5, 2005
The Guardian

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Clements Ribeiro's Financial Straits

Bad news on the British fashion front ... again. This time the sword of Damocles has dropped on the head of well-loved label Clements Ribeiro. The husband and wife design duo behind the label have been forced to put their company into liquidation, despite its healthy £4m annual turnover, meaning that they will have to bow out for at least one season and will be absent from next month's London Fashion Week. The boo-hiss bad guy in the tale is the label's Italian partner who unexpectedly cancelled their licensing agreement last month. Customers who loved winter's Frida Kahlo-inspired collection won't be disappointed as those deliveries will be honoured, but shoppers looking forward to their signature cashmere stripes and colourful floral prints might have to look to Cacharel, who the couple also design for, come summer.
[/font]

Am saddened to here this. Have a soft spot for Clements Ribeiro. More bad news for British fashion it seems.

yep agreed Meg.However maybe its just a case of waiting until they pop up again with a new backer and manufacturer. I am not sure how well known they are outside the uk - well apart from their Cacharel work which will carry on. Iused to like their work in the past when it was simpler - I find it too fussy now.

Haven't really seen any of their recent stuff...have a gorgeous 'tattered' chiffon dress by them though which I got for £60 marked down from £480! I thought they were decently well known outside of the UK...maybe not? Hope they do pop up with a new backer though...I do enjoy their designs as a whole.

This is very sad indeed, their prints adds colour to London Fashion Week season after season

such a shame- last winter i lived in their patterned knits..

aww i cannot believe this, they are too cool and pretty much the reason i've gotten into so many international brands (by way of net-a-porter) - i guess there's always cacharel, but..

Oh that's too bad...and just when I thought they were getting good again. :( But I'll assume that this is just a temporary setback, and that they'll resume in a season or two with a new backer (and for their sake, a new business plan, because I think that they've remained unnecessarily obscure outside of the UK. I can hardly ever recall seeing the line around, either in shops or in eds).

Oh, this is so sad...:( Just when I was going to whip out my wild fringe bag from a few years back...I'd been wondering what they were up to recently and found this thread...

They've been well publicized over here (Japan) for some time, even before they began designing for Cacharel, I think. The news is sure to shock more than a few people.

yes...they do well in japan....
it doesn't sell very well in the US...at all!!...
buyers have complained that they can't sell it here...
i don't think the american public goes for such a colourful, girlie look...
too many patterns and all mixed...it's really a very 'english eccentric' look...

i'm sure they will come through ok...they still have cacharel, and they are making money...it's just a pain in the neck for them...

thx for the info helena...:flower:

but marc by marc sells quite decently in the states non? I find it quite similar to that.....

mmmmm...
i can see how you would say that meg...
but i think that part of the difference is the cut...
clements is a bit boxy...and usually really bright...and they mix patterns...

marc is a bit softer andd girlier and more feminine in a vintage way...
*thought that wasn't true this season...

it's little things like that which can make or break a line i guess...
also ...it doesn't hurt that marc is best friends with everyone at vogue...:lol:
and tons of celebs...

I think it's more marc's image of being american that works. His early stuff at marc by marc was all about mixing bright colors, patters and prints....haven't found that clements has a boxier cut but who knows.

Not trying to argue, simply figure out why they can't sell in the american market :flower:

honestly meg...from what i am told...they are trying to figure it out as well...:wink:

i'm sure they'd like to get into the american market in a stronger way...
these are good questions you are asking...i know i look at the stuff myseolf and though i like it...would never wear it...
i find it a little 'prissy' at times...:ermm:

hmm....maybe they are marketing the wrong items to the US market? The dress I have from them is divine. One of my favorite pieces in my closet (along with vintage halston gown which remains to be worn!).

though I can see their striped cashmere sweaters looking quite out of place in the states...i do find their items extremely wearable. ah well.

on a positive note:

CLEMENTS RIBEIRO might not be putting on a full fashion show at London Fashion Week, but don't expect them to be away for long. "We're talking to lots of potential investors at the moment with a view to fully restructuring the company," says Inacio Ribeiro who also acts as creative director to Cacharel with his wife Suzanne Clements. "Usually when a small label takes on the design of a large house, it sells part of itself to the house in question, but that wasn't on the cards when we started out with Cacharel." And it still isn't. "It won't happen in the near future," he goes on. "Cacharel isn't looking to create a group and its investment is limited but we are still very committed to our work with them. A lot is changing with that house too so it's an exciting time to be involved with them. We renewed our contract for another three years last year. So, as soon as we find the right investor for Clements Ribeiro, the pressure of running both labels will ease."

:shock: aww this is really sad news
i really enjoy their collections and they've seem to be making an extra efford these last two seasons.

The thing is that the european fashion industry is in a very bad state at the moment.. and there are no signs of the situation getting any better.

thanks for bringing this in Helena :heart:

Lena - what do you mean 'in a bad state' - in what way? you mean in terms of funding or in terms of sales.....or both?

wow another sad story coming from europe, i really hope they can restructure and it's just a temporary thing. i have been admiring them again in the last 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swfrank123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->