Cropped Tops

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by Juliet, May 4, 2010.

1. Juliet

Juliet New Member

I've always been interested in cropped tops and I've noticed this summer they're everywhere! I've never really purchased any because I wouldn't know how to wear them.. Any ideas advice or photos of celebrities etc. wearing some?

Would you wear them with nothing underneath, or a tight-fitting vest, a body suit, or how?

I love the line Topshop has for cropped tops, that alone is making me go for them!!

a few of the tops from topshop.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. *Bianca*

*Bianca* Active Member

Most people I've seen wearing them team them with high-waisted jeans/shorts/skirts.

3. sanitizedfashion

sanitizedfashion New Member

I've only worn crop tops with high waisted skirts. The pluralism is hyperbole, I've only worn it once. Although slender, I've been endowed with that feminine paunchiness which I refuse to work out, so it's all good. I don't think I would ever wear a belly-button crop top, but I have worn the ones which are awkwardly revealing only a little lower tummy.

4. pixelatedblonde

pixelatedblonde New Member

I love my bread/pasta/bloaty foods far too much, so wearing a cropped top alone without anything underneath is a no no for me. I love the layered look with a lace bodysuit underneath or really really high-waisted jeans/skirts.

5. Fashionology

Fashionology New Member

If u have abs (like Ciara :o) and it's hot, don't wear anything underneath it :wink:
    [​IMG]
    source: Black Style Central

6. Emma Naomi

Emma Naomi New Member

I love the crop top look (and they are super comfortable) but... I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to pull it off (or that it'd go down well in my 'hood!). I think they work best with high waisted shorts/jeans/etc, or layered over say a bodycon dress or something.

7. CaitlinC

CaitlinC New Member

I would wear the top shop crop tops to a beach, working out or for lounging around.

The fringy one would look great with a high waisted jean or pencil sirt but that's about it.

8. raedemuerta

raedemuerta New Member

o. god. why. please let this be a short lived like last year's half-shaved head nightmare trend!!!

9. Juliet

Juliet New Member

Great feedback guys!! Wow Ciara, impressive!

I like my bloaty foods too :wink: I don't know about wearing it sans anything underneath.. A laced bodysuit underneath would be nice and more convenient I think.. I mean I've got good abs but not rock hard! A top like this is something that inspires me to work out more lol!

And yeah CaitlinC to the beach is a great idea!!

10. snowqueen

snowqueen New Member

this tried to take off around were I live about six months ago and failed miserably because lets face it 75% of the population dont have the figure for it :( most people I saw my self included used them in layering with vest tops or bodies underneath. I also think with crop tops baggy is defantly better IMO tight ones just look cheap

11. J'adore_Coco

J'adore_Coco New Member

I wear cropped tops by layering sheer tops/bodysuits underneath. I love how faux-lace and mesh tops look underneath a crop top or high waisted bottoms. Worn the right way it looks great.

12. Always Looking

Always Looking New Member

I've collected about 2 dozen 80's concert tees (various bands) that I want to crop,but i'm not sure how short to go and I want to keep them similar in hopes of developing a signature style. I keep changing my mind in terms of how much to crop off. I like the shirt to hit just at the waist in front, but raise it up a bit in back. My demo t's look good, just want to be sure before I make a move on the vintage threads.

13. gimmethatbag

gimmethatbag New Member

Preach it, sister. I haaaaate this look. I thought it was okay until I saw it in person. I mean the girl was really skinny and everything and she had the proportions right with no tummy showing but it was just soooooooo atrocious. It just was awkward and strange and she looked stupid, like her shirt had shrunk in the wash.

14. monidoll4u

monidoll4u New Member

I like this look....if you have the body for it wear it...:smile:....

15. Juliet

Juliet New Member

Me too :smile: I've been wearing some like a cropped tee with jeans shorts at the beach looks great! And otherwise with a almost sheer top underneath and it looks superfun and cute, and well a bit different. The cropped tops are really oversized though which I think looks best!

16. Alexandra8715

Alexandra8715 New Member

Half of me think 'uugggggh 80s' and I really HATE 80s/sports clothes. However, I've seen it worn really nicely too. http://store.americanapparel.net/rsabb380.html American apparel do some good ones and yep, I would say wear them with high-waisted anything just to avoid looking like you just came out the gym.

17. peachyfashion

peachyfashion New Member

I like cropped tops a lot actually. I agree with samitizedfashion, they look good with highwaisted shorts or skirts if you're not confident enough to bare your belly, but they also look sooo good just by themselves if you have abs to shout about.

18. Girl About Town

Girl About Town New Member

I have two, and I have never worn either, I am too scared for some reason :(

19. peachyfashion

peachyfashion New Member

Well now is definetely the time to try. Maybe the best first time to try wearing one os on the beach cause then you won't feel as self concious in it as you might do normally. After all, your stomach will be on show anyway if you wear a bikini...

20. ng19

ng19 Active Member

I love wearing those cropped tops with my high-waisted body con skirts :smile: try it its hot!