Dazed Autumn 2021 : Rihanna by Rafael Pavarotti

Dazed Autumn 2021

Same Spells, New Rituals

Photography: Rafael Pavarotti
Styling: Ibrahim Kamara
Hair: Ali Pirzadeh
Makeup: Chiao Li Hsu
Models: Sienna King, Cherif Douamba, Majok Manyuat, Nyagua Ruea, Ottawa Kwami, Momo Ndiaye, Adhel Bol, King Owusu, Lawal Badamus, Aliet Sarah, Emmanuel Adjaye, Tosin Olajire, Razak Salifou, Dennis Okwera, Edem

Dazed Digital Edition

Funny how weak Rihanna's story feels in comparison to every other editorial, but every single editorial is truly pure magic.

Rafael is like Roversi, Meisel, and Penn hybrid of imagery and I enjoy it quite much, it really makes me believe this new generation of photographers will bring an exciting vision to high fashion photography!

...Except Hugo Comte

I absolutely LOVE all of the editorials. Thank you for uploading them!

A perfect issue. Ib is an excellent stylist and EIC. I am absolutely amazed. Only disliked the editorial styled by Edem Dossou. His styling is always weak to me.

@GERGIN agreed their shoot remind me of "We are the world" and "joy of the world" by Meisel for US Vogue and even the shoot with Saskia for Vogue Italia in 2004.

Last edited:
Ugh, I feel so old, because none of this is really doing it for me personally. It all feels a little messy, like a bunch of young people given carte blanche to 'play' with fashion but not having much authority or understanding of style. It's Dazed so it's more than fitting though. For example, I think Pavarotti's photography in 'Same Spells, New Rituals' is quite strong, but after the first few images, Ib's styling just starts to feel costume-y and goofy. I mean, I get that that kind of idiosyncratic juxtaposition of elements is his thing and I respect it, but it's not for me. I like that kind of wacky fashion once in a while, but it needs to be balanced by wearable, chic and elegant propositions.

I guess the starting point for Carlijn Jacobs 'God Bless Bim' was LaChapelle's "My House (Alek Wek)"? I mean, so obvious.

All this said, I do think Ib is a perfect fit for Dazed in 2021. I like the fact that he is relying on newer and diverse talent in his magazine, from the photographers (other than Roversi) to the stylists, hair and makeup, right down to the models. Despite it not being my cup of tea, it all feels very sincere (a rarity when it comes to diversity in fashion these days) and it's really paying off because the magazine has a great visual texture with different styles merged together. Overall, a job well done and I hope Ib stays at Dazed for a while, I think he can really create something special if given enough time.

Last edited:
EYES WIDE SHUT (Textless)
Photographer: Elizaveta Porodina
Stylist: Ola-Olauwa Ebiti
Hair: Kiyoko Odo
Make-Up: Raoul Alejandre
Models: Bangali Drammeh, Binta Diop & Nikki Kahr

Vanity Fair Italia Digital Edition

ISLAND LIFE (Textless)
Photographer: Carlijn Jacobs
Stylist: Imruh Asha
Hair: Danielle Ross
Make-Up: Frankie Boyd
Models: Elibeidy Dani Martinez, Shahaida Lynch, Carly Jordan, Abigail Defreitas, Kemar Jones, Jayshon, Neikobe, Corey, Karl, Juanita, Dana, Troy, Ishana & Atarah

SAME SPELLS, NEW RITUALS (Textless)
Photographer: Rafael Pavarotti
Stylist: Ibrahim Kamara
Hair: Ali Pirzadeh
Make-Up: Chiao Li Hsu
Models: Sienna King, Cherif Douamba, Majok Manyuat, Nyagua Ruea, Ottawa Kwami, Momo Ndiaye, Adhel Bol, King Owusu, Lawal Badamus, Aliet Sarah, Emmanuel Adjaye, Tosin Olajire, Razak Salifou, Dennis Okwera & Edem

an excellent issue from Dazed and Confused?
try to convince me that i’m not dreaming.

Carljin is seriously out of this world.

Ugh, I feel so old, because none of this is really doing it for me personally. It all feels a little messy, like a bunch of young people given carte blanche to 'play' with fashion but not having much authority or understanding of style. It's Dazed so it's more than fitting though. For example, I think Pavarotti's photography in 'Same Spells, New Rituals' is quite strong, but after the first few images, Ib's styling just starts to feel costume-y and goofy. I mean, I get that that kind of idiosyncratic juxtaposition of elements is his thing and I respect it, but it's not for me. I like that kind of wacky fashion once in a while, but it needs to be balanced by wearable, chic and elegant propositions.

I guess the starting point for Carlijn Jacobs 'God Bless Bim' was LaChapelle's "My House (Alek Wek)"? I mean, so obvious.

All this said, I do think Ib is a perfect fit for Dazed in 2021. I like the fact that he is relying on newer and diverse talent in his magazine, from the photographers (other than Roversi) to the stylists, hair and makeup, right down to the models. Despite it not being my cup of tea, it all feels very sincere (a rarity when it comes to diversity in fashion these days) and it's really paying off because the magazine has a great visual texture with different styles merged together. Overall, a job well done and I hope Ib stays at Dazed for a while, I think he can really create something special if given enough time.

I’d imagine all the 13yo gayz and their hags raised on a diet of Insta/TickTok would be thrilled with such content.

Ibraham is extremely one-note. It’s the usual, predictable dose of clubkid maximalism shamelessly ripped off wholesale from Galliano’s Dior days, with the usual reference of 18th-century Europe/turn-of-the-century colonial Africa/pagan iconography all in a kaleidoscopic feast— rinse and repeat… And it’s always with an all-Black cast: Where’s the "inclusivity and diversity” people like him keep harping on about— only then to turn around and make it all exclusive and non-inclusive for anyone that isn’t Black…??? Such hypocrisy.

Rihanna's attitude and Paolo’s gentle shoot are the only ones of the lot that stands out amongst the clutter of same old same old desperately seeking for attention stories.

Ibraham is extremely one-note. It’s the usual, predictable dose of clubkid maximalism shamelessly ripped off wholesale from Galliano’s Dior days, with the usual reference of 18th-century Europe/turn-of-the-century colonial Africa/pagan iconography all in a kaleidoscopic feast— rinse and repeat…
Bingo. Oh @Phuel , you always manage to capture my unfiltered thoughts:lol:.

AWFUL makeup OMG ahahah and wth with her face??? Did they try to make her look like Little Kim?

The issue is delightful in print. I'm surprised how they managed to do a lot of excellent visual content compared with the things that Vogue/Bazaar/Elle give us every month. The only thing that I complain is that the red cover (with the umbrella) is too dark compared of what we see on social media -I know there's a difference with the colors but for example,Timothee's cover for i-D or even the Malala cover preserved look great in print-.

Oh, and I almost forget! They changed their paper, and the new one doesn't feel as expensive as in their past issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suriiyy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->