Decade Long Debate: Should Couture Still Exist?

Couture seems outdated, but who is to say what is outdated and what isn't? Perception is reality. To quote a friend.

I seriously think Couture can still exist. First off, one of the arguments of the naysayers is that the designers today aren't producing good collections that are worthy of being called Haute Couture. But I think Gaultier, Lacroix and Largerfeld proved them all wrong with their couture collections from Fall '02 to Spring '03.

Also with designers leaving, who really cares? We still have those mentioned above. Also I believe in bringing in new talent.

Also couture should still exist because it is personal. It's intricate. It offers things that no else can give. Sure Yohji can do superb high-end RTW, but that's what it is RTW.

Originally posted by Lena
My fave Couture designer of late is -by far- Ralf Rucci. He's a great master of style, i think he's been terribly underestimated, maybe because he's American :unsure: Its a shame, he's brilliant with details and workmanship, but most just look out for the fireworks in Couture, unfortunately -and mainly due to Galliano- workmanship and style seem to come in second place and this LEADS couture's 'death'. Some people mix Spectacle and Workmanship, sad.

I also agree with Lena's post. :flower:

Originally posted by Scott@May 23rd, 2004 - 3:23 pm
I'd have to say it isn't really that relevant anymore. One,it has become rather a stagnant appeal Two,everything in the world clashes now--its no longer about sticking with an archetype. Designers in P-Â-P are focusing more on craft,HC has introduced 'wearability'.....everything is meshing. So no,I don't see why it should remain other than 'show'. That's really all amounts to these days.
I think some of those are true, but we should not stop couture because their are going to be designers who will bring in something new and can save couture.

If also you look at Gaultier Spring 2004 HC you'l see the designer working on craft and wearability.

Every point I can make atr this point will just be an echo, so I'll say this.

I don't think you can stop couture, or choose whether it ends or not. It is a tradition and a part of the establishment (of fashion). People do break with tradition, but not easily. Im personifing it slightly, but it will bow out when its ready. Not yet.

Sure, there are designers allegedly blurring the boundaries of couture and what is not couture. Avant Guard is exactly what it is, and what it isn't, is couture. That one thing we shouldn't assume.

Things are going to change, that is for sure.
Issey Miyake's new contraption will will ensure that fashion will take a turn in direction (if not directly, the effects on RTW will ripple).
How much of a change? of that we are not certain.

I guess the question is not whether couture will go, but rather how much it will change.

Jean Paul Gaultier said 'We dont make ze clothes for people to wear.......we make ze clothes to sell handbags. You will not see a woman wear ze pieces in a million years however you will see ze pieces in ze media the next day, which sells ze bag'

he is absolutely right. which leads me to think.........are the bag designers more important than the clothes designers ? :unsure:

Originally posted by Acid@May 24th, 2004 - 11:46 am
Jean Paul Gaultier said 'We dont make ze clothes for people to wear.......we make ze clothes to sell handbags. You will not see a woman wear ze pieces in a million years however you will see ze pieces in ze media the next day, which sells ze bag'

he is absolutely right. which leads me to think.........are the bag designers more important than the clothes designers ? :unsure:
Didn't Prada originally only make handbags? I'm sure this isn't the only reason why she expanded.

didnt gucci also just make bags and small leather goods to begin with?

couture serves two distinct and independent purposes. there is still a market for the ultimate indulgence and luxury that is the couture. i think many of the houses are restructuring themselves so that they can focus on that aspect of the couture. anna wintour is not the only woman who orders couture. the numbers are small but the women are out there. it's like bespoke: so few men even know about the bespoke, but that customized, singular, unbeatable quality will always find appeal among those who have it all.

people are a lot richer than they were fifty years ago. the old couture client came into a family fortune of thirty or forty million and spent her life circling balls and hosting dinner parties; today's couture client are the wives of billionaires: one hundred thousand dollars is no more than an interest payment. while these wives may not have grown up with some of the sensibilites of the old rich, they are desperately trying to find ways to break into that establishment. they go to the right auctions, get on the right charity boards, they buy a picasso and a monet: couture for them is just another way to show off their husband's wealth.

with that said, gaultier, galliano and other do have a point. couture's second function is direction. it always has been. while i can't personally buy into the over simplistic couture sells handbags, it is right in a larger sense. couture brings the excitement and innovation into fashion. we all know what a gucci dress looks like; we've all experience a chanel suit; you pretty much can't improve on a prada cardigan; but when you want something that no one else has: you can't go anywhere but the couture.

I say couture should exist because I simply enjoy couture as pieces of art, also a true and intensive expression of the designer that nothing can compare. I see more spirit in Haute Couture.
However, business/market wise, it is dying...

Originally posted by Acid@May 24th, 2004 - 6:46 am
which leads me to think.........are the bag designers more important than the clothes designers ? :unsure:
kind of an idiotic question!
OF COURSE NOT!!! :/

i think that haute couture will always exist in one way, shape, or form.

there will always be a need for say a well-tailored, hand-crafted, bespoke suit or evening gown for a special event. :heart: :wub:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->