Department Store Fashion

jenmkat

Reaction score
Since i'm limited in location and funds, I'm relegated to shopping department stores for some of my clothes that are linked to bigger names. Dillards (which is based in my town) carries BCBG, BCBGirls (which I usually look for), M.S.S.P (one of my favorites), DKNY jeans brand (they have some cute tops and dresses), and some store-only offshoots of Liz Claiborne company like Intuitions. I have found some lovely things there, which I can mix with my thrift store finds and basics.

I figure it's the closest I can get to having fashionable clothes at the moment. There are some high end boutiques here, but I can't afford them. :cry:

What are some of the department stores (bigger ones like JCPenney, Sears, Nordstrom, etc) you go to, and what do you look for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Macys...Do you have a Bloomies?

But seriously, I love Macys, it's my favorite lower-end store, they have a HUGE selection of Ralph Lauren that goes 90 off in a matter of weeks. It's just a waiting game. Though my fav department store is Bloomingdales closely followed by Barneys and Bergdorfs.

The issue w/ Macy's is the clothes you get really aren't that fashionable, it's good for nice, clean basics. I also like Calvin Klein, his stuff is pretty good, sometimes, I prefer mainline but the lower line has the same feel. Macy's is a great primer for a good wardrobe.

I have dealt with limitations on funds and location, as well as no access to online shopping, so I understand where you're coming from. I would and actually still do shop at Macy's and Sears. I also used to go to JCPenney when it was still open in my area.

For me, shopping in a department store is much like thrifting. Both involve a hunt for a few gems among a whole lot of junk. Department stores offer a lot of watered-down trends, which are often tacky, so I would really have to dig through everything to find something that was interesting and tasteful.

At Sears, I would also raid the kids' departments: the boys' dept. for striped shirts, hoodies and shorts, and the girls' dept. for dresses to wear as babydoll tops/tunics.

Shopping with limited resources really forces you to be creative...consider this a blessing in disguise!

:flower:

Have you got a TK Maxx/TJ Maxx?....it's a case of spending time searching through and checking out on a regular basis but there are some good labels and bargains to be found! :smile:

Don't forget that it also matters which department store you go to in the chain. Like Macy's in certain areas SUCKS!! But the one in SF has higher end stuff and their basics. so it depends.

ooooo I know what you should do!!!

Shop higher end department stores, like Neiman`s or Nordstrom but ONLY at the clearance rack or during sales. Seriously, it is the only way to do it. And make sure you hold out for stuff that fits you well, is well made, and that you like a lot! That way you won`t suffer from buyers remorse.

Gap clearance is super super cheap and actually has some nice things, more often then you might think.

And this is going to be really embarrassing but, that store Bebe or the other one Guess, when they have clearance sales, hey, check it out!! Honestly, those stores are not so bad and you can cut the tag out and no one will know. They often have really cute things for really cheap...I got a navy brocade well fitted mini dress from Bebe...and I get so many compliments on it.

and Outlets!!! ahhh I love outlets. Nordstrom Rack is my favorite, especially the clearance rack? Do you have that? Anthropologie has an outlet too...And I know Urban Outfitters is at some malls, they have some INSANELY cheap sales...and are cheap in general, albeit the quality of the clothes.

I still prefer places like Buffalo Exchange most of the time, because you can really get some good deals...and right now I am living two blocks away from a thrift store with set prices that are so low....and getting Cacharel, Betsey Johnson, etc etc for 3 dollars Canadian....not the best, but pretty awesome.

If happen to be like me, and are neurotic about quality, honestly, dont waste your money at places like Sears or H&M!!! I used to buy really cheap things sometimes, but I would never wear it, or it just wouldn`t be creative or enticing enough, you know....just keep your eye out, like that previous poster said, it is just like thrifting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Macy's is OK for basics. The problem with it (at least in DC area) is that they frequently run out of small sizes. If you have their credit card you will frequently get 20% coupons.

Nordstrom's has half-yearly sale (the next one is in July,I think) and they have amazing sales, but you have to be really fast because things are sold out very quickly.

Check out Filene's basement, they sometimes have nice stuff, but you need to be patient.

hm...I will try the Bebe and Guess tip. Their ads are so awful imo, but I saw one of their dresses on a reality show, and it was nice looking. Thanks mediocrityrules :smile:

Macy's is OK for basics. The problem with it (at least in DC area) is that they frequently run out of small sizes. If you have their credit card you will frequently get 20% coupons.

Nordstrom's has half-yearly sale (the next one is in July,I think) and they have amazing sales, but you have to be really fast because things are sold out very quickly.

Check out Filene's basement, they sometimes have nice stuff, but you need to be patient.
I forgot about Filene's I used to stalk the one in Rockville, I need to go back.

Since i'm limited in location and funds, I'm relegated to shopping department stores for some of my clothes that are linked to bigger names. Dillards (which is based in my town) carries BCBG, BCBGirls (which I usually look for), M.S.S.P (one of my favorites), DKNY jeans brand (they have some cute tops and dresses), and some store-only offshoots of Liz Claiborne company like Intuitions. I have found some lovely things there, which I can mix with my thrift store finds and basics.

I figure it's the closest I can get to having fashionable clothes at the moment. There are some high end boutiques here, but I can't afford them. :cry:

What are some of the department stores (bigger ones like JCPenney, Sears, Nordstrom, etc) you go to, and what do you look for?

Dillards HQ, you have my sympathy :(

I love Nordstrom's. :heart: They're all good, but the highest-end one we have is really quite good. I buy everything from makeup, perfume, jewelry, shoes (low end and designer), and clothes, from reasonably-priced jeans to designer (Collectors).

But I agree with the suggestion to shop online ... I will only go into Dillards to get my Prescriptives Custom Blend, or if I'm desperate, MAC ... but I've decided to take even that business elsewhere now. Their customer service is the absolute worst in the business :ninja:

T.K. Maxx. (Or T.J. Maxx in America).
Not that I shop there.
I shop vintarj.

^ You have to be very careful of seconds there ... and some may not be obvious :wink: I bought two boxes of wine glasses & at my party a stem snapped off in one guy's hand :rolleyes: Two others broke quickly, but I think I still have the remaining 5 all these years later.

I used to buy socks for my brother there, but you have to look thru everything just as carefully as you would vintage or thrift.

Reviving this thread, as I'm in the same boat as the original poster. Does anyone else shop predominately in department stores (particularly those like Macy's, Dillards, etc)? I'm also limited due to budget and location, and it's hard to both avoid the impulse markdown buys and to try and create looks that aren't on everyone else.

What's your strategy?

i think you can try Topshop, their price is not that high and their style is quite nice.
macy's is nice...i know Zara is going online later in 2010.
for limited funds...you can go to dept stores during sales season...that's what i do. i wait for sales.
try to remember quality over quantity...

I understand what you're going through. I live in a very much middle class American suburb and I can't afford higher end items. I frankly, go for the basic things that I know will outlast trendy items. You just have to do a lot of sifting through various things before you find what you're looking for. It's a bit harder but it can be done!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->