Derek Lam F/W 2004 New York

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
not a bad collection but nothing as exciting as Style wants us to believe... forties and 20's all over the place combined with 'auster-ish' ladylike looks :flower:

here some of my faves from Derek Lam fall winter 04.05

the Style.come review and few more faves

NEW YORK, February 8, 2004 – Derek Lam is one of the most promising young talents on the New York scene, a position underscored by the list of partial sponsors for his sophomore runway presentation—Vogue, Swarovski, Shiseido, Maurice Villency, and Saga Furs each contributed to the cost of the show, in the august confines of New York’s National Arts Club. The investment turned out to be a sound one. Lam’s 24-piece collection displayed the attitude, exuberance, and craftsmanship of a much more experienced designer (which shouldn’t be that surprising, given the fact that he spent 12 years working for Michael Kors).
Lam’s fall mood was part Viennese formality, part Gypsy ease, and his strength as a mixologist came through in some superb pairings: luxurious cashmere boyfriend sweaters with shiny jacquard dresses, or a striped mink scarf worn with lamé brocade pajama shorts. The designer reprised the softly structured strapless dresses he had shown for spring, rendering them in glittery fabrics with jeweled embellishments, and balanced comfort and opulence in a floral-print vintage-silk georgette dress that flowed with every step. He also introduced softer, longer tea gowns and Empire-waisted peasant dresses. The final evening gowns were stunners that lifted even the Some Girls lyrics on the soundtrack—“You’re the prettiest girl in the world”—out of the realm of irony or cliché. Lam’s collection was relevant, contemporary, and genuinely very pretty, indeed.

– Laird Borrelli

I liked some outfits but didn't *love* the whole collection. It didn't seem to flow very well, but at least that means he kept his ideas succinct in one outfit instead of going on and on and on with the saaaame thing. I liked his spring collection more! :smile: Thanks for the pics :flower:

I really really like this collection. :heart:

I think it is very me.

I liek Derek, I think he's moving in the right direction. While some peices stood out not all of them for me. I dunno I don't think I'm a "Fall" girl haha. There is an article on him from Sundays' NY Times Style section, he's really struggling but I think he's very realistic so many people need to be like him. Thanks for sharing the fotos :flower:

For Derek Lam to stay afloat, he might want to work on designing pieces that a woman can't get from any other designer.

Okay.. what I'm getting is.. definetly using the same simple silhouette as last season... as a whole intresting, but not impressive. I also see some influences from other NY designers (Vera Wang, MJ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->