Designer Ad Campaigns

stylegurrl

Reaction score
This is probably a silly question but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is common for a major designer to decide not to have an ad in a major fashion mag's September issue. What might prompt a designer to not run an ad? I ask this because a couple of high-profile designers are missing from the Fall mags.

I know Versace isnt doing well right now and they are cutting back their marketing efforts. But i dont know it their plans for cutting back are already taking effect. Budget cutbacks are usually the case especially with the top companies that have already established themselves as usual advertisers in the major mags (dir, gucci,ysl, versace) Othertimes companies choose to advertise in different ways wich may, or may not, include mags (like Helmut Lang and the taxi cabs)
hope this helps :flower:

Perhaps the advertising was moved to a place where it would be more effective, value for money.

I wonder if designers are scaling back due to the realization that fashion has become extremely global and available to anyone who wants to see it...With sites like Style.com and Firstview, and actresses and actors wearing their designs maybe they do not see it fit to spend enormous amount of money of ads anymore...this is just my opinion, i'm def. no expert on this stuff... :flower:

as with any decision, i think its a decision based both on the individual houses and the costs associated with advertising in certain high profile magazines. i think houses like hermes choose to advertise in esquire but not details because there's a fundamental difference in readership. and those glossy advertising pages don't come cheap....not by a long shot. and there are also different reasons to advertise. brands like gucci and the gap will always have ads in all the major magazines because their appeal is pretty much universal.

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Aug 23 2004, 01:32 PM
I ask this because a couple of high-profile designers are missing from the Fall mags.
[snapback]342771[/snapback]​

...who's missing from which magazine?

I also think it depends on the audience a designer is trying to reach and on the customer base of a certain designer. I would venture to say that a typical W reader is not a Helmut Lang customer, therefore advertising there is kind of a waist for HL (well, for Prada Group). BTW, I'm not 100% sure what scale you mean when you are saying "a major designer". I think Helmut Lang is a major designer, but he's rarely (if ever) covered in magz like W and Vogue.

Comme des Garcons and Dries van Noten also come to mind. I think they are major designers but they will never advertise in Vogue. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a Dries van Noten ad in my life.

Thanks everyone for the great responses :flower: :flower:

Mikejames...who's missing from which magazine?

I have not seen any ads from Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney or Versace in any of the Fall mags. I thought they might have decided to place ads in VOGUE only because of all the buzz surrounding the huge issue, but they aren't there either. It's strange that such big names would miss out on the chance to get an ad in for such a landmark issue.

true, Dries doesn't publish ads, neither does Marni, Ann D., Hussein Chalayan or Maison Martin Margiela

i guess for some desigers it is somehow a prestigious policy NOT to have ads

Originally posted by Lena@Aug 23 2004, 03:06 PM
true, Dries doesn't publish ads, neither does Marni, Ann D., Hussein Chalayan or Maison Martin Margiela

i guess for some desigers it is somehow a prestigious policy NOT to have ads
[snapback]342862[/snapback]​

I could definitely see the above brands (sans Marni, maybe, just because I'm not too familiar with the label) as having a "let the clothes speak for themselves" philosophy. Ann D for sure :heart:

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Aug 23 2004, 03:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the great responses :flower: :flower:
I have not seen any ads from Alexander McQuuen, Stella McCartney or Versace in any of the Fall mags. I thought they might have decided to place ads in VOGUE only because of all the buzz surrounding the huge issue, but they aren't there either. It's strange that such big names would miss out on the chance to get an ad in for such a landmark issue.
[snapback]342861[/snapback]​

I am pretty sure there was a Versace ad in W. I might be mistaken.

Theres a Nordstrom ad in the Sept W issue which features Dries van Noten

yeah, versace has been in every september magazine i've read so far from details to bazaar...and i think we ALL know why we don't see ads from mr. mcqueen and ms. mccartney (gucci group's already shifting strategy it seems with those 'emerging brands')...

I think it also depends on the agent who looks after the brand name in that country. Unlike Dolce and Gabanna, or Prada, I don't think Dries Van Noten has their own office in Asia. The company who sells Dries may advertise the label.

Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 23 2004, 09:28 PM
...and i think we ALL know why we don't see ads from mr. mcqueen and ms. mccartney (gucci group's already shifting strategy it seems with those 'emerging brands')...
[snapback]342894[/snapback]​
:lol: :innocent:

Originally posted by faust@Aug 23 2004, 03:11 PM
I could definitely see the above brands (sans Marni, maybe, just because I'm not too familiar with the label) as having a "let the clothes speak for themselves" philosophy. Ann D for sure :heart:
[snapback]342865[/snapback]​

I have the greatest respect and admiration for designers/labels that are able to do well without having to rely on the big magazines. That also goes for designers who are successful without having to become big celebrities. :flower: :heart:

Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 23 2004, 03:28 PM
yeah, versace has been in every september magazine i've read so far from details to bazaar...and i think we ALL know why we don't see ads from mr. mcqueen and ms. mccartney (gucci group's already shifting strategy it seems with those 'emerging brands')...
[snapback]342894[/snapback]​

I can undertand Stella not having any ads but McQueen I am surprised about. he is so highly praised and I always see photos of women wearing his clothes. I guess being loved by celebrities and Anna Wintour isn't enough these days. :ninja: :innocent:

Originally posted by Sugo@Aug 23 2004, 03:18 PM
Theres a Nordstrom ad in the Sept W issue which features Dries van Noten
[snapback]342880[/snapback]​

Dries in Nordstrom? :blink: :unsure: I have to go back and take a look. In any case that ad is paid for by the store itself.

Originally posted by faust@Aug 23 2004, 03:11 PM
I am pretty sure there was a Versace ad in W. I might be mistaken.
[snapback]342870[/snapback]​

Yeah i saw that ad also. It took me like 3 time to look at it because the Versace logo blends in so well with the clothes. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->