Designer Inspirations F/W 08.09

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
i think it's interesting to see what designers are inspired by for upcoming collections, and how that translates into what we'll see on the runway...
if you find any info regarding designer inspirations specifically for F/W 08.09, post them here...:flower:

2a7j6vm.jpg

sue stemp
For Fall 2008, the collection is inspired by Art Nouveau and discothèques. Mixing the relaxed glamorous spirit of Maxim’s in Paris (which was frequented by Jane Birkin, Serge Gainsbourg, and Brigitte Bardot in the mirrorball mid-seventies), its famously romantic Art Nouveau decor and kaleidoscopic-stained glass interior and something totally new, modern, and unexpected; the end result being a feminine, colorful, and unique youthful chicness.

2e3xseo.jpg

rebecca taylor
Inspired by the fragility of loved, stored-away clothes and the romance of stepping into another time; the Fall 2008 collection is a reflection of a girl delving into her grandmother’s dress-up box. The dresses are easy and lofty with a modern late-’30s feel. Languid floral dresses, layers of lace, and luminous chiffons are highlighted with found beaded objects. A dreamy neutral palette paired with rich jewel tones evokes a sense of opulence. Dramatic maxi coats in leopard jacquard and menswear-inspired blazers create new proportions that play with the intimate quality of the dresses. The structured outerwear and clean lines are a perfect paradox to the tiers of diaphanous ruffles, creating an ideal balance between fantasy and reality.

2qjkrbo.jpg

brian reyes
The Fall ‘08 collection is an overlap between climate and culture, weather and technology. Geographical topography inspired the fabric selection and embellishment details. This season’s silhouette is a return to elegance and form–tailored looks that convey incredible femininity. Colors will range from saturated mineral hues to earth tones, inspired by natural terrain.

atx4b8.jpg

tadadashi shoji
For Fall 2008, I discovered a new appreciation of folded material: the mystery, seduction, and beauty of anything gathered. The fold creates depth, movement, and form through the play of shadow and light. The art of the pleat has had tremendous appeal throughout time. I was especially drawn to the drama and femininity of the draped details on Madame Vionnet’s dresses from the ’30s; reinvented for today’s modern lifestyle. Women want options for their active lifestyles and I wanted to offer my customer the best of Tadashi Shoji for both evening and day. That is why, for the first time ever, I have expanded my collection to include daywear looks using materials that range from cashmere to wools to the lightest wool jerseys, with a perpetual interplay of shadow and light, using folds that gracefully shape the body.

pics and text, fashionweekdaily.com

o5n5oi.jpg

jason wu
For Fall ‘08, I wanted to infuse the spirit of French films by filmmakers Jean-Luc Godard and François Truffaut into a collection that brings forth a new ease to my collection, while maintaining the glamour girl image with immaculate details.

fmnfxy.jpg

james coviello

I was inspired by the lifestyle and work of the artist Balthus. A son of aristocratic Poles, Balthus grew up in Paris, and ended his life in Switzerland with his Japanese wife living in an ancient house called the Grand Chalet de Rossinière. My Fall collection captures the vivid color, pattern, and tones of his paintings.

xpome9.jpg

jeremy laing

Inspired by the kaleidoscopic cover of The Possibility of an Island, the latest novel by Michel Houellebecq. The interior of a ’50s couture bodice, with its excess seam allowance becoming a decorative element. Josef Albers’s “Homage to a Square” color-field experiments. Quadrant-based construction, with a nod to Vionnet.

210j5ap.jpg

catherine holstein
The collection derives from various aspects of Miro’s paintings. A variety of everyday and cocktail pieces ranging from cashmere capes to jersey T-shirts. The pieces are rich in colors including navy, mustard yellow, forest green, and red.

fashionweekdaily

28gxkqp.jpg

phillip lim for 3.1
Esoteric, elegant…eccentric.

5ldlav.jpg

marc bouwer
The razor-sharp architecture of an illuminated New York night sky — the marriage of metal, glass and concrete.

14ki3w0.jpg

mara hoffman
This collection is inspired by the ‘Journey Woman’ traversing through foreign lands collecting her eclectic wardrobe as she goes.

wwd

35mhbuv.jpg

peter som for bill blass
Fall 2008 is about exploring early Blass from 1969-1970 and immersing myself in his world of menswear-meets-womenswear.

qprrxy.jpg

sam shipley and jeff halmos of shipley & halmos
Simplified chic-ness. Depending on how you style the clothes, you can wear them day into night.

style.com

love this thread kimair:clap::heart:

Elise Øverland
2231165097_25a424db99_o.jpg

“Rock ‘n’ roll Victorian-meets-’70s hippie–a mixing of feminine with masculine; active with
delicate.” – Elise Øverland

source | fashionweekdaily

I love looking at (and making) mood boards.

That first one is fantastic, I hope the collection does it justice.

And that little detail from Philip Lim's is beyond gorgeous.

i love getting little glimpses of some of the designer's creative process...

Wow. Some of those "collages" are actually pretty amazing.

philip lim is inspired by gustav klimt! wow I love gustav klimt. can't wait to see the collection!

FIVE QUESTIONS FOR...MATTHEW WILLIAMSON
1. What was the inspiration behind your fall 08 collection?
For the fall 2008 collection, the inspiration was drawn from aristocratic roots. The muse--a delicate and romantic girl blossomed in the rambling estates of the English countryside. She has a love of the outdoors--exploring woodlands, waterfalls, walled rose-gardens teamed with a more independent and streetwise edge.

istock_000004702686small.jpg

2. Can you give us a little hint about what we should expect?
Oversized wax jackets are lined with tapestry rose prints and edged with luxurious fox fur. Delicate silk jersey is printed with fern leaves and gossamer georgette illustrates, through print, an icy landscape of windswept grasses and trees. Luxurious crepe de chine is decadently embellished with large embroidered roses dripping with oversize felt sequins.
elle.com

Last edited by a moderator:
FIVE QUESTIONS FOR...PHILLIP LIM
It's inspired by an imaginary 'what-if' love child of David Bowie's stoic elegance as his character The Man Who Fell to Earth...paired with the free-form eccentricity of Stevie Nicks during her magical tenure with Fleetwood Mac...resulting in a mode of studied peculiarity with slight manner of disregard.

david_bowie_2.jpg

2. Can you give us a little hint of what we can expect?
Esoteric, elegant, eccentric...

elle.com

(btw,if you're wondering why I'm only including 2 of the questions it's because the other 3 are unrelated lol)

FIVE QUESTIONS FOR...JEFFREY COSTELLO AND ROBERT TAGLIAPIETRA OF COSTELLO TAGLIAPIETRA
1. What is the inspiration behind your fall 08 collection?
The illustrations of Arthur Rackham and Gustaf Tenggren and classic film noir--sort of a romantic, dark, dreamlike walk through the forest.

arthur_rackham.jpg

We are working on prints for the first time, and this season we are trying to explore something that is a bit more character-driven.

-elle.com

FIVE QUESTIONS FOR...ERIN FETHERSTON
1. What is the inspiration behind your fall 08 collection?
Romeo an Juliet, or Juliet, mostly. I have always loved her and this collection is sort of an homage to my idea of the modern Juliet.

romeo_and_juliet.gif

2. Can you give us a little hint about what we should expect?
Dark and rich colors.

FIVE QUESTIONS FOR...RICHARD CHAI
1. What's the inspiration behind your fall 08 collection:
My inspiration is from a recent trip to London where i saw the Louise Bourgeois exhibit at the Tate Modern. The installation called "Precious Liquid" really stood out to me. For fall, I wanted to capture the essence of "feeling."

richard_chai_inspiration.jpg

You can expect a lot of different textures.

i love getting a glimpse of the designer board as well as inspirations and where they want to go!!! it's like having a look into their mind.

FIVE QUESTIONS FOR...PHILLIP LIM
It's inspired by an imaginary 'what-if' love child of David Bowie's stoic elegance as his character The Man Who Fell to Earth...paired with the free-form eccentricity of Stevie Nicks during her magical tenure with Fleetwood Mac...resulting in a mode of studied peculiarity with slight manner of disregard.
...holy mother of God:shock:....just the way the way the words sound make me weak in the knees!

I'm dying to see what Phillip has come up with such a gorgeous inspiration!:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkim991905
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->