Designers Parody Women At Fashion Shows

The designers themselves often, as artists, and that surely is alot of what couture is about, the Art, may well be presenting their view of the politics surrounding women in society, perhaps both sub conciously and in concious choice of their art forms.

And while it may be very '60's to hark back to women's lib etc looking at, for example, the international poliitical stage at this point there are very few well known women in actual positions of extreme power (head of State, President) in the public eye.

For example: Although I am not In the US it does seem at times as thou Concoleeza has been given a position to meet the black woman card. I am not saying that she is not qualified (that is another debate) but her face (a positive/ negtive reflection of Galliano's portrayal), the immobility, the 'elevation' (catwalk), the facade (make-up). (Although if I recall correctly Alex Wek (I think) was left without the white pancake.)

It's just a hypothisis but reading the previous posts it seemed that perhaps this might be part of what was being said thru their individual voices/arts. there are so many ideas to take into account that one overall comment - misogynistic- could well ignore the intricacies, the details of which so many were shown in the actual dresses. The layers, again represented, allow for various interpretations, by the individual either wearing or viewing.

My soap box now being removed.... B)

When men create anything involving women and sex it is called 'misogyny' which leads me to the conclusion that the womens' lib bandwagon-jumpers (which seems to be about half of the female hacks working for English papers) need a new copy of OED.

I just don't understand why you can't design whatever you want? If you have a client, a customer base, a point of view, an opinion, why can't you express it?

What would this woman think of the body morphing made famous at Comme Des Garcons? Would that be considered misogyny then? What of the fact that, most likely, Galliano used Pat M. to do his makeup? Would that take the edge off of things for her?

I would have liked the article a whole lot more if she were really honest about her opinions of male fashion designers way down deep instead of trying to mask it through 'journalism'. Talk about being in drag...

And can I also say that I don't feel that badly for models who can't breathe for two minutes since they make, in those two minute, more than I make working over time for months and months and months? :shock:

the writer makes good points, but you can't associate certain characteristics of people just based on their sexual prefernce IMO.

marc jacobs is gay

so is Bernhard Wilhem, Jeremy Scott, and Lutz in case you were wondering.

Originally posted by bergdorf blonde*@Jul 25 2004, 03:49 AM
the writer makes good points, but you can't associate certain characteristics of people just based on their sexual prefernce IMO.
[snapback]315498[/snapback]​

i absolutely agree, regardless that JG is been working on female caricatures for ages, sexual preference should be left out of this debate.

john galliano isn't just a gay man...he's a drag queen...and that's the difference...he has facial hair GLUED ON for his runway bows for crying out loud...he's all about artifice and costume... i think he is incredibly self-absorbed... that couture show was completely irrelevant in today's world...but was perfect in john's world... since i live in the real world world, i consider it COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT...

He's always got the facial hair though, not just for runway appearences.

How is this collection irrelevant?? wen will it be relevant then?? I dont see relevence playing a role in fashion at all IMO

Originally posted by softgrey@Jul 25 2004, 06:33 PM
john galliano isn't just a gay man...he's a drag queen...and that's the difference...he has facial hair GLUED ON for his runway bows for crying out loud...he's all about artifice and costume... i think he is incredibly self-absorbed... that couture show was completely irrelevant in today's world...but was perfect in john's world... since i live in the real world world, i consider it COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT...
[snapback]315805[/snapback]​

So, what if he glues on facial hair? He knows he is in the public eye and he wants to look good in his eyes. I totally disagree about it being irrelevant in today's world. I think it is quite relevant. The trend these days is to be lady-like. John elaborated on that. And the show as a whole had a good feeling to it despite the backstage happenings. I thought it was quite in tune with the times. :flower:

Originally posted by Spike413@Jul 25 2004, 11:01 PM
He's always got the facial hair though, not just for runway appearences.
[snapback]315844[/snapback]​

i watched a documentary and interview on him...at the time he had no facial hair....or maybe just a moustache and he glued on a little goatee beard and put in hair extensions as part of having his make-up done before the show...he had his own dressing room...it wasn't as though he was the designer of the collection...it was as though he were the star of the show (a drag show)...it was WEIRD...i don't know of many other designers who do stuff like that...maybe donatella versace...very unusual...

as for the question of when will it be relevant...i think it was a couple of centuries ago when these types of clothes were actually worn...but even then women regularly fainted or 'swooned' as a result of unbearably tight corsets... that's a big part of why it went out of fashion and never really came back...and don't kid yourself that it's going to come back now...real people in the real world do not have lives in which occassions for this attire regularly present themselves...
JEANS and t-shirts are the most profitable areas of fashion these days...

these clothes are not actually meant to be worn...so they are irrelevant as clothing...but perhaps a brilliant marketing tool... :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Jul 26 2004, 09:09 AM
these clothes are not actually meant to be worn...so they are irrelevant as clothing...but perhaps a brilliant marketing tool... :innocent:
[snapback]316017[/snapback]​

Totally agree with you on that :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->