Did Crystal Renn have her eyes taped back for Japanese Vogue?

Some people accused you of trying to make Crystal Renn look Asian for an upcoming spread in Vogue Nippon. Is that what you were trying to do when you taped her eyes?

Anna Dello Russo: It was not to make her look Asian. That’s a typical beauty trick to make a cinematographic eye. I learned this from a makeup artist from Hollywood movie stars. He used this when he did something in a movie, to make a little bit of a kind of cinematographic eyes. SO many people asked me, “Why you don’t use Japanese?” I don’t want to use Japanese. She was looking like … like Sophia Loren. You know when you put eyeliner, eyelash. And she loved that.

Behind the scenes, you always want to create some dialiectic in your fashion. That’s why I put the behind the scenes what make people talking. But sometimes people talk about something crazy, just to make a little heavy. I don’t pretend to transform a European girl into a Japanese girl. This was just a beauty tips.

styleite.com

Some people don't think this is insignificant, especially coming from a magazine that rarely celebrates the beauty of it's native inhabitants. I'd say that fact alone makes this very significant.

I can see why some people would think it's significant that they rarely use Japanese models. I can't see how it's significant that they wanted Crystal Renn's two eyes to look the same size or used a blatantly common makeup technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annetbef
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->