Crystal Renn On Her New Chanel Campaign

farou7a

Reaction score
Crystal Renn On Her New Chanel Campaign, That Whole Retouching Scandal and Acting: “I’m Absolutely Freaking Out”

3.jpg

Perennial model-in-the-spotlight Crystal Renn stars in Chanel’s newest campaign for the reopening of the brand’s SoHo store, and we got her reaction to the campaign just minutes after she had seen it herself.

“I’m absolutely freaking out,” she told us. “Working with Chanel has been my dream forever. As long as I’ve been working as a model I’ve been thinking about Chanel and working towards Chanel and this campaign is the proudest moment of my life.”

While Renn’s most recent campaigns (including that notorious retouched shoot for nonprofit Passion For Fashion) have brought attention to the so-called “plus size” model’s shifting body size, her latest print work for Chanel focuses on the model’s gorgeous face while a sultry Baptiste Giabiconi reclines topless in the background.

Renn believes her latest coup speaks to positive changes in the industry.

“I think the fashion industry is changing and is more open to a new ideal,” says Renn. “It’s about a personality and a moment captured..it’s not about body size it’s about talent and effort…I hope the industry sees this [campaign] as an example of that.”

As for that retouching scandal that landed her on the Today show? “Retouching happens,” says Renn. “It’s happened to other actresses and models and a lot of times models won’t come forward and they’re even relieved to be retouched. Don’t get me wrong, I love retouching but I”m very proud of my body and to portray me as a size zero or a two when I’m a ten, that’s inaccurate and I was concerned with how people who look up to me would see those ads.”

But she’s moved on. This is the second time Renn has worked with Lagerfeld (she walked in his 2011 resort show in Saint Tropez), and she sees no reason why the partnership won’t continue.

“Karl is a genius,” Renn says. “He’s a Virgo so we’re compatible and we got on really well.”

For the campaign, which was shot in a studio in Paris a few months ago, Lagerfeld asked Renn and Giabiconi to envision themselves as lovers in a glamorous movie. “He said, ‘You’re not a model right now, you’re an actress,’…the only difference between modeling and acting is that models have one second to tell a story and actresses have two hours.”

And acting as if Giabiconi was her lover was, shockingly, not so hard to do. “He is the most gorgeous man I’ve ever seen hands down,” Renn gushes. “I remember being on set and trying not to stare but staring at him methodically nonetheless to try to figure out how perfection in a male looks. It’s insane when you look at him. ”

So, we had to ask, is the next step for Renn acting?

“I haven’t been actively seeking acting roles but if the right opportunity came up, absolutely,” says Renn. The right part for Renn would be something dark and intense and challenging–no RoCo’s for this chick. We’d shell out $12 to see her on the big screen.

fashionista.com

Good for her, despite all the drama I like her, and this shot is gorgeous

Good for her,
she has worked hard for this and come a long way.

is she really plus-size??
she is not familiar for me but she really do not look anything near plus-size...
well, world of fashion is wierd.
:ninja::innocent:

is she really plus-size??
she is not familiar for me but she really do not look anything near plus-size...
well, world of fashion is wierd.
:ninja::innocent:

she is plus sized in the aspect of high fashion but I guess the controversy was that they edited her not to be in this ad

I think she is beautiful and has a "thin" models bone structure and face, so why not? her body is plus sized by fashions standards yes, but thats it. good for her!

Great to see Crystal working with Karl..The shot is brilliant (except Baptiste lol)

^Well, I think a lot of times he looks kind of stalker-ish, but here not so much because he's more prominent than usual. I think a lot of people are annoyed at just seeing him though.
Sometimes I get kind of annoyed by her because for me, it seems she thinks she should get jobs because of her body, never mind that she's a legitimate model, and I suppose that makes sense to talk about it, but :neutral:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->