Documentary Films

Discussion in 'the Entertainment Spot' started by Erin, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I see there is a Fashion Documentaries thread, but what about ALL kinds of documentaries?

A slice of life?

I think documentaries are SO important because it's a REAL way we can get a glimpse into other worlds, ways of life, and things going on that we're unaware of.

A couple of years ago I watched The Farmer's Wife, a documentary about a Nebraska farm couple and their kids shot over 3 years in the 90's. I couldn't stop watching it. I of course now own the DVD and still watch it on a regular basis.

Since that DVD I've loaded my Netflix Queue with documentary films... they make learning fun again. :flower:

What are some of your favorite documentary films? Perhaps this thread will inspire some members - I do hope so!

2. aycotqone

aycotqone New Member

The Brdge is a 2006 documentary that tells the stories of a handful of individuals who committed suicide at the Golden Gate Bridge in 2004. It had captured 23 suicides on camera and it also interviews one of the jumpers and also the families of the suicide victims. It's very harrowing to watch because you are watching people jump to their death. It feels weird to say i enjoyed watching it but i'm glad i did. And it stays with you for a long time after.

3. Erin

^ Yes! My fiance and I watched The Bridge last week. I don't think I was as moved by it as he was, but for days after watching the documentary he couldn't stop thinking about it. Very strange to see suicides on film...

4. aycotqone

aycotqone New Member

It's a very strange experience watching people commit suicide. I can't really explain the feeling myself, just strange. And i also like to watch anything by Michael Moore, he provokes a lot of feelings from myself while watching his documentaries. I would never have guessed how big the gun culture in America is until i watched Bowling for Columbine. Personally i find all his documentaries very informative.

5. Erin

^ I did see Sicko in theaters...

The End of Suburbia is also an excellent documentary. I would recommend it to anybody.

6. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

I love love love documentaries.. thanks for starting this, Erin. :heart:

I don't think I have a favorite but I often find myself watching 'A propósito de Buñuel', which is about filmmaker Luis Buñuel. It's a great watch, I love hearing passages, friends talking about him, Luis himself talking about everything, it's good..

There are so many.. Star spangled to death & Mexico, la revolución congelada are probably the strongest stuff I've watched.. they left me spinning for a few days.. the material is political, very intense and so eye-opening it's almost infuriating :ninja:. I strongly recommend them for anyone that likes that kind of 6-hour thing.

The Enron scandal documentary (can't remember the title for the life of me right now!) was also very interesting, especially if, like me, you were exposed to the scandal while it was happening but never entirely understood what it was about and how the fraud was executed. and there's Tom Waits at the end!. :p

#6 MulletProof, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Aviar: Mar 27, 2009
  7. Erin

^ Whoah... must look into that Enron documentary... :innocent:

8. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

9. Erin

^ Right, right, I've heard of that, actually... adding it to my Queue now...

Who Killed the Electric Car is on the docket for tonight. :flower:

10. Capn_Birdseye

Capn_Birdseye Member

Rodger & Me was pretty good

11. Belowen

Belowen ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

The last documentaries I watched were

IMMOKALEE, U.S.A. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217577/)
    &

JISOE (http://www.jisoe.com/)

12. *Bianca*

*Bianca* New Member

I love documentaries :heart:

Some I highly recommend:

The Thin Blue Line by Errol Morris

[​IMG]

—errolmorris.com

#12 *Bianca*, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Lena1: Mar 28, 2009
  13. *Bianca*

*Bianca* New Member

Thin by Lauren Greenfield

[​IMG]
    —arp.tv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-N2Cv52gB8

14. *Bianca*

*Bianca* New Member

Capturing the Friedmans by Andrew Jarecki

[​IMG]

—awardannals.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R10VjJgx1dU

#14 *Bianca*, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Lena1: Mar 28, 2009
  15. aycotqone

aycotqone New Member

^ I actually went to see that at the cinema. I highly recommend it to anybody to go and watch it.

16. plumaffair

plumaffair New Member

I really seem to be drawn to the sports docs, probably because I'm a pretty big sports nut. Hoop Dreams is one of my favorites as is Dogtown & Z-Boys and the Muhammed Ali doc When We Were Kings...brilliant!

I also really like nature documentaries - the images are just SO amazing, hard to believe we live in a world with so much beauty. March of the Penguins is a total must-see if you love animals. I recently saw a trailer for an upcoming Disney Nature movie called Earth - if you ever saw the series, this movie looks like it'll blow you away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G06r7eKKjkI

17. *Bianca*

*Bianca* New Member

^I must see March of the Penguins - I can't believe I haven't already! Has anyone seen Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World? I have it downloaded but still haven't got around to seeing it.

I saw it at that cinema as well. It couldn't shake it out of my head for weeks.

18. ElectricAlyce

ElectricAlyce New Member

I know that most other documentaries are more sombre, but for anyone interested in fashion/music I reccomend Party Monster: The Shockumentary. A documentary about Michael Alig and the club kid scene.

19. plumaffair

plumaffair New Member

^^ I saw the movie based on him but didn't know there was a documentary. I'll have to check that out one out as well!

20. Erin

Everybody should see Dear Zachary.. but have some Kleenex handy.