Documentary Films

I watched Emmanuel's Gift last night... truly inspiring... even more than the description below details... really, a terrific lesson on human will.

I can't believe that 10% of Ghana's population is deemed "disabled"... and most are outcasts and cannot find work because of this.

From Netflix:

"Oprah Winfrey narrates this inspirational look at living with a disability in Ghana, as seen through the eyes of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah, who was born with a badly deformed right leg. While most of the nation's 2 million citizens who are deemed "disabled" suffer discrimination, abandonment and ridicule, Emmanuel has dedicated his life to traveling the country via bicycle to open people's minds and to transform lives."

Almost forgot to mention, before, one of my favorites:

The Endless Summer (1966) - The quintessential surf film directed and humorously narrated by Bruce Brown follows summer around the globe in 1966. Mike Hynson and Robert August ride the wild waters of Hawaii, Australia, Africa and other exotic locales in search of the perfect wave, strengthening their friendship and teaching natives along the way. This beautifully shot, laidback documentary captures a thrilling sport.

(Description from Netflix)
Oh, and also Dogtown & Z-Boys, but I think that's been mentioned in this thread already. :wink:

I've seen a few documentaries on TV through out the years, but recently I watched "Super Size Me" and "My Kid Could Paint That", and wanted to watch more documentaries, but I didn't know which others there are, so I'm glad to have come upon this thread. I'll go through your recomendations, and I hope I can get a hold of some of the DVDs :D.

I've seen a few documentaries on TV through out the years, but recently I watched "Super Size Me" and "My Kid Could Paint That", and wanted to watch more documentaries, but I didn't know which others there are, so I'm glad to have come upon this thread. I'll go through your recomendations, and I hope I can get a hold of some of the DVDs :D.

Oh, how was "My Kid Could Paint That", I started watching it the other week (on Netflix, it's one you can instantly watched), but I must admit I stopped it after a few minutes and decided to watch a different documentary on Netflix. I don't know why I gave up on it so quickly. :doh: Just for some reason, I wasn't feeling it. But, tell me, what did you think of it? :flower: If you really liked it, I might have to go back and try watching it again. :wink:

I like Stacy Peralta's Riding Giants (2004), a documentary about the origins of surfing, full of vintage footage from the 1950s, which traces the story - and the people - right up to today's type of big wave surfing done by Laird Hamilton.

The film explores something which is so completely unlike my own life, it's like a different world. And it makes me see why surfing could be someone's reason for living, and I would never have understood that before.

Oh, how was "My Kid Could Paint That", I started watching it the other week (on Netflix, it's one you can instantly watched), but I must admit I stopped it after a few minutes and decided to watch a different documentary on Netflix. I don't know why I gave up on it so quickly. :doh: Just for some reason, I wasn't feeling it. But, tell me, what did you think of it? :flower: If you really liked it, I might have to go back and try watching it again. :wink:

It was a good documentary, where you got a good insight in Marla and her familie's life, and all the buzz surounding her paintings. The impression I got from the film lasted about till the next day, and since I haven't really given it a lot of thought. The big question in the documentary, if Marla had painted all her paintings by herself, never fully got answered, it's left for the viewer to think his or hers, in that way it's actually a good documentary to discuss, since there aren't a right or wrong answer.

If you like documentaries and/or are interrested in art, then I'd recomend this for you.

^^ Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about it with me, Mistique! :flower: :heart: I'll have to try watching it again, sometime soon. ^_^

I like Stacy Peralta's Riding Giants (2004), a documentary about the origins of surfing, full of vintage footage from the 1950s, which traces the story - and the people - right up to today's type of big wave surfing done by Laird Hamilton.

The film explores something which is so completely unlike my own life, it's like a different world. And it makes me see why surfing could be someone's reason for living, and I would never have understood that before.

Yes, Riding Giants is my favorite surfing documentary (and I've seen a lot of surf documentaries)! :woot: I actually thought I had come to this thread and posted about it, but I just looked back and see I didn't, so I'm glad you've posted about it, it's a great documentary, and I think people will enjoy it even if they're not a surfer. ^_^ (But, it's hard for me to be completely objective, as I absolutely love surfing :heart:).

I enjoyed My Kid Could Paint That. I had never actually heard of Marla before watching it on TV, I thought it was just a documentary about a child prodigy, so I had no idea it would turn so critical. I think the film-maker had come to his own verdict along the way - and I don't think anyone watching this film could come out of it without a serious, serious suspicion. The comparison of the paintings at the end was so simple and effective in answering the question for me.

I haven't seen the DVD extras, but apparently they're just as good as the film.

I really feel for Marla and her brother, and I just hope the whole thing doesn't screw up their heads in the future.

^ I enjoyed that, as well... didn't love it, but the twist about halfway through was interesting - and unexpected for the filmmaker.

That same day I watched that I watched a documentary on Scrabble players, which I felt to be more interesting.

Nicolas Philibert's Être et avoir (2002) was very charming, a year-long look at a rural French primary school and a very patient teacher, it shows you can create a touching account of people's lives without the need to manufacture any sort of artificial drama.

I caught The September Issue at a film festival about a month ago and thought it was excellent. It portrayed a slightly different side of Anna Wintour, but what I loved was getting to see Grace Coddington's genius at work. It looks like it's going to get a limited release this fall, which is great.

Flow (For the love of water) and Blue Gold World Water Wars, both wonderful documentaries. Everyone should see them.

Kurt Cobain About a Son (2006)
Director: AJ Schnack
Kurt Cobain in his own words.
A great one!

^ About a Son... my fiance used that film as inspiration for a screenplay he wrote... plus, he was really intrigued by Cobain's life.

I canceled my Netflix account (because I'm going to be traveling for a long, long time, and won't really be able to watch many films, but also because I need to save money :doh:), but I've had something of a summer surf film marathon, and thought I'd share with you all, short reviews, of the surf documentaries that stood out at me most, out of all the ones I saw. :flower:

• A Broke Down Melody (Trailer) - This film might ask of you, some patience, (it does drag, on occasion) but if you give it your time, in return it will offer you some of the most jaw-dropping cinematography of the earth, and of the ocean, delicious enough that the desire to dive into your television screen, and swim in the exquisite colors of the surf and sun, might overwhelm you. Here, is a film, that doesn't try too hard to sell itself, or to be anything, but instead presents a raw look at the lifestyles of surfers, in an array of locations, and from a variety of races, and backgrounds, and in the end, captures the celestial, ethereal essence of surfing, with ease.
  • Step Into Liquid (Trailer) - If I had to pin down this film, in one word, I would choose variety. "Step Into Liquid" is a surf film that offers more variety, in surfers, and locations, than any other surf film I've seen. From surfing greats like Kelly Slater and Laird Hamilton, to the legends who revolutionized surf films, like Bruce Brown and Robert August from The Endless Summer, to young kids just learning the ropes of surfing, to unknowns, to a paralyzed surfer, to a man who surfs every day, and has for thousands of days, straight, to female surfers who kick a**, in the water, to surfers from the tropics, to surfers from the numbing cold of Scotland, this film gives you scope in the world of surfers. Also to enjoy is the frequent location changes,and stunning visuals they bring.
  • Riding Giants (Trailer) - Depending on your viewpoint of the extreme and dangerous, this film will either make you want to go ride waves that can be classified as giants, waves that push one hundred feet, or make you equally nervous, and thankful, that you're not actually living out any of the scenes shown. Extreme adventure, and danger, is what "Riding Giants" dishes up, though, along with grade A cinematography, and the occasional segments of animation, done with cutting age style and design.
  • The Endless Summer (Trailer) - In the world of surfing, not seeing this 1966 groundbreaking classic, verges on being a criminal act. Yes, Bruce Brown sounds something like a parent narrating a home video, and cracking some bad jokes, in way that makes their kids roll their eyes, and love them anyway, but shoving aside any concerns about the lack of actual audio, see it for the delicious, vintage visuals, and the legend that it is. Just don't blame me, if it makes you want to quit your job or school and go chase the summer around the world, surfing.
If you really like surfing, you might want to check out The Endless Summer II, Thicker Than Water, Bustin' Down The Door, and Billabong Odyssey. I'm a surfing fanatic, and thought these were also all worth a watch, however if you're not much of a fan of surfing, then I wouldn't really recommend them to you. :wink:

P.S. Anyone seen the trailer for The Drifter, starring surfing great Rob Machado? You can see it here. I am beyond stoked for this film! Soul-searching, surfing, travel, and featuring one of my favorite surfers? Couldn't ask for more! ^_^

I watched Dear Zachary a few weeks ago and it was by far the most gut wrenching, heart breaking documentary I've ever seen. Someone on TFS mentioned this film and I stupidly looked it up online and found out the ending. Even after that I couldn't even finish the movie, I had to leave the room with less than 5 minutes to go because I couldn't even take it :( I can't remember the last time I had been so affected by a movie. A film everybody should see.

^I'm downloading it right now! Thanks for the recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->